Working out when ur sick?

Options
Good or bad idea? My kids have been passing around something and have had fevers and cold symptoms for about two weeks and now my throat is feeling pretty sore and my head is "fuzzy" I dont know if working out while sick is good or bad... i know after i work out i feel like im getting a cold anyway for a while (dont know what thats about). I just dont wanna get any sicker than necessary b/c i exercised.

Replies

• melly28
    melly28 Posts: 26
    Options
    Personally, I would workout. I would drink lots of water and if at any time you are feeling ill, stop. But if you're not sick, working out shouldn't have any impact on that. Good luck! :)
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    I always work out as long as it's above my shoulders....if it's in my chest I take a little TLC....
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    NYT article on this question: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/health/nutrition/25best.html

The rule of thumb seems to be that if your symptoms are above the neck then its fine, but if you have chesty or other below the neck symptoms you might want to take a rest. Google: "exercising with a cold" or whatever illness you've got and you'll find much more reputable sources than the mfp message boards. Just stay away from Yahoo Answers.

(If you've actually got a fever, I think strenuous exercise should probably wait).
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've got a head cold going on today and did my 30 Day Shred workout. It was a little tougher than usual....but after I was done I actually felt better! :) Plus, it made me really thirsty....which is a bonus because I am really trying to keep up the fluids!
    My advice would be to do what you feel like you can do.....
  • jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    Working out when i am sick always makes me feel better. Just make sure if you are working out in a public place you make sure your machine is extra clean
  • pereran
    pereran Posts: 3
    Options
    I've done it a few times...feels Okay while your at the gym or doing your workout, but a little after your finished you feel worse than before! Idk Just my experience
  • RachelHancock
    Options
    work through a sickness unless you physically cant. your body will thank you.

simply minimise the high impact and anaerobic exercise. do something fun and straightforward like zumba :)
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't do strenuous work outs when I'm sick. I believe it is too hard on your heart. Plus,,,,nobody wants to be at the gym beside someone who is passing on the illness! Give yourself a break for a day or two. You will feel better.
  • mommasamfa
    mommasamfa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely sick right now. My daughter gave me some kind of cold/flu thing. It's definitely in my chest and I feel weak enough as it is. So I decided to just be careful on my calories and not work out until I'm feeling better. I've still lost some weight and I'm eating properly. :)