under 1200 calories

Options
kikisf
kikisf Posts: 58 Member
I sometimes get the red warning sign that I need to consume more calories but I so don't feel like eating more especially if somehow I missed a meal and don't want to overeat at night.

If you are sedentary (actually I'm disabled) is it really that bad to dip below 1200 calories??? I remember several obese relatives being put on a 900 calorie diet.

Replies

• LiftNic
    LiftNic Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey there! It really depends on your weight, height... things like that. If you go here: http://exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html You can plug in your information. After you hit "Calculate", just worry about the total calories. The total calories are the amount of calories you need a day to maintain your weight. So if you want to lose a pound a week, take away 500 calories from say your diet. This is really just an estimate, though. But it can give you a good idea. Let me know if you have any questions! :) I hope this helps!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Depends a lot on your BMR and where those calories come from. If your BMR is lower, then an occasional day under 1200 isn't the end of the world. You just don't want to make a habit of it.

That said, a large part of it is what kind of cals they are. If you're eating healthy foods, meeting protein goals, getting good fats and good carbs - in short, eating nutrient dense foods - rather than fast food or processed food, then it's not something to worry about (again, if it's occasional.) But if you're low on cals, and the cals you are getting are not nutrient dense, that will be a problem.

Planning is key in using a calorie counter and changing your eating habits. Skipping meals will cause real problems, if done frequently. Getting a good breakfast with protein and good fats is important, as it can effect how you eat the rest of the day. One of the ways MFP is a good tool is it will help you retrain your body and mind to recognize a healthy amount of healthy food. Depending on hunger cues isn't a very good strategy in the beginning, because those cues probably won't be reliable. If you've had poor eating habits for a while, your body has adapted to that and stops sending the proper signals (or you might not be able to recognize them.) Sticking to a schedule of 3 balanced meals and at least one or two snacks will go a long way toward helping you change your eating habits - and make it a lifestyle change that you can maintain, rather than regaining.

Here are a couple of threads that might help explain why it's important to fuel the body. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add a couple more things. Generally, when someone is placed on a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet = under 1000) it's generally because of two things. First, they are morbidly obese and, having a LOT to lose, they can withstand a larger deficit than someone with less to lose. Second, usually there are other issues (High BP, diabetes, other medical conditions) that make it necessary to lose weight quickly. There are many risks with a very low intake/rapid weight loss (gallstones, arrhythmias, hair/skin problems, skin flaps, weight regain, significant loss of muscle), but in some cases, the benefits can outweight the risks. But it needs to be supervised by a dietitian. To maintain a VLCD for a significant period, as I mentioned, the quality of the calories has to be perfect, to ensure that nutritional requirements are being met. It's very difficult to do.

Also, I read your profile and I realize you're probably anxious to lose the weight quickly so you can get pregnant. However, if you lose too rapidly, you'll likely be losing a large amount of muscle mass, in addition to fat. Lack of muscle tone can be a problem in pregnancy. And if you don't change your eating habits in the process, you won't have those good habits to fall back while you're pregnant - meaning you are more likely to gain too much while pregnant, and may have difficulty getting good nutrition for the baby and you. Much better to use a healthy, reasonable approach and BE healthy when you do get pregnant. Good luck with it! :flowerforyou:
  • kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thanks ladyhawk. it usually isn't a problem meaning i've been a normal bmi most of my life. but those hormone injections make you gain weight. And since being overweight hurts your fertility and so does dieting, i'm caught between scylla and charybdis
    you are right i am trying to get it off fairly quickly and get back to a normal bmi so i can try to conceive and to help out my back.

i don't lose weight very quickly because i'm not that active right now. i guess it is time to reactivate my body bug account and figure out how many calories I need.

I'll check out those links thanks!