Anyone have a hard time drinking 8 glasses of water?

Options
13»

Replies

• brittanym30
    Options
    Use a straw. As silly-simple as it sounds, it makes it really easy to meet your water goal :)

Keep at it!

This is exactly what helps me, I use a 32 oz water bottle that has it's own straw in it .. and If i take it to the gym with me, by the time my workout is over, it's already gone! The straw helps me, maybe it will help you too and others who are struggling drinking their water.. Try it! and Good Luck :smile:
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I try to drink 3 (UK) pints of water a day. I drink one pint on a morning when I get up, one more around lunch time, after exercising, and normally a third in the evening or with dinner. I find it easiest to just pour the pint and literally stand at the kitchen sink and down it.
    Pints work for me, I'm just not a sipper.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My mom uses True Lemon (http://www.truelemon.com/cooking5.cfm) plus some Stevia and she says it makes water tons more palatable.

My chiropractor says you're supposed to drink 1/2 your weight in ounces, so for me that's 70! I don't always come near that but I do the best I can.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember: It's not 8 GLASSES, it's 8 CUPS. So your glass is a cup and a half, you only have to drink... (math is not my strong suit)... 6 glasses, I think. A CUP is 8 ounces, where most glasses are at least 10 or 12.
  • sftb
    sftb Posts: 40
    Options
    I used to have that problem, but I had to "train" myself to take in water. I did 2 things to help, and neither involved any additives...first, I drink room temperature water. Each body is different, but my body seems to reject water that is either colder or warmer than room temperature. Second, I keep a water bottle with me all day and take sips throughout the day. That way I don't need to "force" down an amount that my body isn't ready for yet, and I have a "measurement" of how much I have consumed. Once the water bottle is empty, I fill it up again. As I mentioned, it took me some practice before it became second nature. Good luck!
  • tyuzon
    tyuzon Posts: 1
    Options
    You can try buying those packets that flavor the water... that is what i do beause i cannot drink just plain water.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Watch your pet drink, it's never before eating, and usually a bit after they ate. Yes, our pets have us beat.
    It's not uncommon for dogs to drink so fast they throw up or to get bloat. It's also not uncommon for dogs to eat their own crap or throw up. If you just want to do things the way pets do, just quit your job, drop your myfitnesspal account, stop counting calories, and sleep 16 hours a day and exercise the rest. Of course,unless you're on the "Ranch" at The Biggest Loser that's not an option for any of us.

As a former wrestler who has used dehydration as a method to lose weight for competition and someone who has lost weight hydrated, let me just tell you that drinking the recommended amount of water makes it EXTREMELY easier to lose weight. You feel more full when you're restricting calories. You go to the restroom more regularly. Your workouts don't leave you as fatigued. And the fat seems to burn faster. I've done it both ways.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Watch your pet drink, it's never before eating, and usually a bit after they ate. Yes, our pets have us beat.
    It's not uncommon for dogs to drink so fast they throw up or to get bloat. It's also not uncommon for dogs to eat their own crap or throw up. If you just want to do things the way pets do, just quit your job, drop your myfitnesspal account, stop counting calories, and sleep 16 hours a day and exercise the rest. Of course,unless you're on the "Ranch" at The Biggest Loser that's not an option for any of us.

As a former wrestler who has used dehydration as a method to lose weight for competition and someone who has lost weight hydrated, let me just tell you that drinking the recommended amount of water makes it EXTREMELY easier to lose weight. You feel more full when you're restricting calories. You go to the restroom more regularly. Your workouts don't leave you as fatigued. And the fat seems to burn faster. I've done it both ways.

I like the way you think LOL My cat sleeps all day, eats nasty, dry, stale food, drinks her water out of the toilet bowl (even when she fresh in her bowl). Her exercise is to get from the couch to her food and occasionally stop to appreciate the birds outside. She doesn't have a job or kids or laundry and when she's crabby she hides. Except for the toilet water and the food, I might actually consider it. LMAO... Have a great day all!
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I make herbal tea , 3 liter picher, and I drink it over day . Apple cinnamon taste really good .Is not as hard to drink as water.
  • Cindyn50
    Cindyn50 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a water addict now. I buy the Smart Water bottles (one liter) and I carry one around with me at all times. I drink 3 a day, to get in 100 oz a day. I feel so much better when I drink a lot of water. Try it. You'll be glad you did!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Now I heard this 3rd hand so I'm not sure how much weight I give this but...

a friend of mine (who has also struggled with her weight for years) struck up a conversation with a woman about weight watchers and drinking water. This woman said her Dad was a gastroenterilogical (sp?) surgeon and that he said forcing all that water just stretches out your stomach.

That doesn't sound good to me.
    Rarely do I go over 6 8oz glasses a day, many days it's more like 4 and I've lost just fine and am now working on maintenance..
  • Idahoheartmom
    Options
    For me, it's about having the right cup.

I drink more from a straw, and I need it to be portable so that I can take it everywhere with me.

I have been adding tea lately to my water and it helps with flavor.

I'm going to try the fruit slices next.

I drink approx 100 ounces/day.
  • mrslondon
    mrslondon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Okay before I started MFP I would drink maybe a glass of milk or juice in the morning and then a pop at night and that would be all the liquid I would put in my body. Now I am trying to drink water because that's what everyone keeps saying is going to help but I find it very hard. I do not find myself to be a very thirsty person. I have cut out the pop and milk and juice but now I drink 1 500ml bottle of water a day and that's about all the liquid I put in my body. I will try the straw and keep trying to drink more but I am just not thirsty.

This is exactly the same thing as what goes on with me. If im not thirsty, its really hard to force yourself to drink. I managed one day drinking only 48oz of water and i was literally in the bathroom every 10 minutes. I couldn't even leave the house, it was ridiculous, and i felt sick and bloated all day. I will try the crystal light as maybe that will help, but i just cant force myself to drink if im really not thirsty
  • kevbrinks
    kevbrinks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    "It is a common misconception that everyone should drink two litres (68 ounces, or about eight 8-oz glasses) of water per day and is not supported by scientific research. Various reviews of all the scientific literature on the topic performed in 2002 and 2008 could not find any solid scientific evidence that recommended drinking eight glasses of water per day.[21][22][23]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_water#Requirements

References:

*http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/04/02/us-water-health-idUSN0236679720080402
    *http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full
    *http://www.asn-online.org/press/pdf/2008-Media/Water Study.pdf

Just throwing that out there
  • kevbrinks
    kevbrinks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Also found this Dartmouth Medical School article:

http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h2/08aug2002_water.shtml

Quote from the article: "Thirst Is Too Late. It is often stated that by the time people are thirsty, they are already dehydrated. On the contrary, thirst begins when the concentration of blood (an accurate indicator of our state of hydration) has risen by less than two percent, whereas most experts would define dehydration as beginning when that concentration has risen by at least five percent."

link to the pdf version:
    http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h2/pdf/8x8.pdf