Should I change my goal

rachaelliversidge
rachaelliversidge Posts: 16 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi All,

I have been a MFP user for around 9 months now and have loved using the site. For this whole period I have had my goal set to loose 2lb a week and have been on a calorie allowance of 1200 per day.

After loosing 39lb my BMI is now down to around 27 and my main goal is to loose around another stone to get in to a healthy BMI and then switch focus away from the scale to fitness etc. I now exercise regularly and have been trying to eat back some exercise calories. However, I do find that sometimes this is hard and also that it often makes me hungry the next day rather than the same day.

My weight loss has really started to slow which I didn't really expect until I reached a healthier weight and I am starting to wonder if I should lower my weight loss goal to 1lb a week even though I don't want to as I really wanted to reach my healthy BMI target by mid may for a holiday. I tried entering this and it will put my calorie allowance up to 1400. It just seems so counter productive but I want to do whatever is best. Its just I keep reading on her about people shooting for 10lb a month etc who seem to weigh less than me and I wonder if I am doing something wrong.

Anyway thanks in advance!

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    how much u exercising a week and how much water u drinking? try an extra 5 mins per workout and an extra glass of water maybe
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Start changing caloric intake slowly. Maybe change to 1.5.bs/week for 2-3 weeks then to 1lb.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • rachaelliversidge
    rachaelliversidge Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks for the replys so far. I am currently doing 4 workouts a week, usually an hour each time, a little more at my weekend workout. I do things like spinning, high intensity cardio and some strength training classes etc. I try to get my water in but I'm sure I could do better. Maybe a slow reduction is the way to go. I have read the banks post before and I know it makes sense it's just thy 1/2lb per week seems so small when I am still overweight? If I was a healthy bmi and just trying to look better I would be happy with that. But that said if thats what is healthy maybe I need to rethink.
This discussion has been closed.