I hate steel cut oats!

Options
I don't know if its the brand (Country Organics) or what, but I can't get them anywhere near soft without them burning to the pan! I feel like I'm eating hamster pellets!

I'm switching over from instant oatmeal, so I know there's going to be a consistency difference, but these are just BAD. No one else I live with will eat them - even my boyfriend, who'll eat anything.

Replies

• 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    What is the water to oats ratio you are using?

I make mine in a pressure cooker.

eta - Instant oats are yucky IMHO. Steel Cut are going to be chewier than what you are use to. But you can make them creamier with a higher water to oats ratio.

You can also make them in the crockpot.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cooking them in the microwave? There's no worries about burning or sticking to the pan, when you use a microwave. My only advice if using a microwave is *not* to use a plastic container....as the oats will "climb" up the sides as they cook and end up spilling over and you'll have a sticky microwave mess lol....just use a regular ceramic type cereal bowl (same one you will eat the oats out of works just fine).
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    I'm following the package directions for 4 cups water to 1 cup uncooked oats.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its the brand (Country Organics) or what, but I can't get them anywhere near soft without them burning to the pan! I feel like I'm eating hamster pellets!

I'm switching over from instant oatmeal, so I know there's going to be a consistency difference, but these are just BAD. No one else I live with will eat them - even my boyfriend, who'll eat anything.

Cook them overnight in a crock pot or rice cooker.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Try quick oats. They are better for you than instant and almost as quick and they are part of the "Eat Clean Diet"
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Have you tried cooking them in the microwave? There's no worries about burning or sticking to the pan, when you use a microwave. My only advice if using a microwave is *not* to use a plastic container....as the oats will "climb" up the sides as they cook and end up spilling over and you'll have a sticky microwave mess lol....just use a regular ceramic type cereal bowl (same one you will eat the oats out of works just fine).

I do quick or instant oats in the microwave but the steel cut don't have directions - I honestly didn't think to try it.
  • happy115
    happy115 Posts: 68
    Options
    I love steel cut oat, and I use the brand you do. I cook it over very low heat, at about 1:2 ratio (oat to water), sometimes add a little more water or liquid if it's not enough and stirring every so often. I cook them for a good 20-30 minutes the night before, then when I wake up, I add a little almond milk (1/3 cup) - nuke for another minute, top off with 1 tablespoon wheat germ, almonds and blueberries.
  • GoBanana76
    GoBanana76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try Quaker Old Fashioned Oats...They are super easy and quick - just pop in the microwave....
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I use Coach's Oats -- they're steel cut, but toasted so they cook faster and have a more pleasing texture/flavor. I use the microwave (I use a plastic bowl, but a really big one so they don't overflow). Four minutes at 70% power.

(I get them at Costco, and they wind up being less expensive than even regular oats, since you start with 1/3 cup dry instead of 1/2 cup.)
  • bridgetteamie
    Options
    I had a hard time with these at first as well. I tried the McCann's brand (Irish oatmeal, or steel-cut Irish oatmeal) and I have had much better luck with this and really enjoy it. I make it the night before, using the 1 cup oats/4 cups water ratio. I boil the water, add the oats, stir, then put it in the fridge. It soaks up all the water overnight. In the morning I heat it up slowly and add some honey and cinnamon to give it some more smoothness. It is still a thicker consistency then instant or Quaker oatmeal but it's much better, less crunchy, when I cook it as I described. Good luck, its an adjustment I know!
  • therobinator
    Options
    Try quick oats. They are better for you than instant

Um, how are instant oats any less good for you than other oats? Carb for carb, protein for protein, calorie for calorie, etc....they are all the same as long as you are buying *plain* (unflavored, unsugared) oats. Go to www.quakeroats.com and see for yourself.
  • Grokette
    Options

Try quick oats. They are better for you than instant and almost as quick and they are part of the "Eat Clean Diet"

The Eat Clean Diet is not very clean eating if it says that quick oats are an allowable part of that plan. Still finding ways to sneak in overly processed foods when Clean Eating is based on the least processed or no processed foods.
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    Options
    I use Country Choice Organic also but I get the "quick cook" version that cooks in less than 10 minutes and they turn out perfect!
  • therobinator
    Options
    I do quick or instant oats in the microwave but the steel cut don't have directions - I honestly didn't think to try it.

Just cook until they're as soft as you want them.....I'd start with about 3 or 4 minutes and work up (or down) from there.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    There's not a big enough difference between rolled oats and steel cut outs as far as nutrition so either one is good. You should research it online.

I have found Old Wessex Natural Whole Grain Oats. They have Instant and Irish (5 min. cooking time). I love the Irish oats because they stay kind of chewy and don't get mushy.
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The next best is 100 % Rolled oats. They are better than intant or quick. Cook nice in the micowave in a ceramic bowl. You shouldn't use plastic in the mic for anything.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The directions say 4 cups of water to 1 cup of oats, to me that's way off. I use 4 cups to 1/2 cup of oats.

Bring water to a boil, add oats and let boil for 5 minutes or so. Turn the heat way down and simmer for 20+ minutes, stirring occasionally. They turn out great. I eat them with a really ripe banana (for the sweetness) and a cup of blueberries

Tim
  • Grokette
    Options
    Try quick oats. They are better for you than instant

Um, how are instant oats any less good for you than other oats? Carb for carb, protein for protein, calorie for calorie, etc....they are all the same as long as you are buying *plain* (unflavored, unsugared) oats. Go to www.quakeroats.com and see for yourself.

Of course quaker oats is going to say that instant is ok for you...........

Instant oats are very processed.
    Quick oats are pretty processed
    Old Fashioned oats are a bit less processed
    Steel Cut Oats are the way to go, the least processed food of them all. That is why they take so long to cook, but much higher in nutrition and cleaner than any of the above.

Also, instant oats don't contain as much fiber because they are more processed. Steel cut oats have more fiber and are the least processed.

It all depends on the goal you are trying to reach in your eating. I don't eat grains very much these days, but if I do eat oatmeal, it is going to be steel cut oats.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I soak mine overnight. Its easier and I just scoop out every morning how much I want.
    Put them in a container and add either water, almond milk, or fat free milk and I put some nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla extract, whatever you like and let them sit. Scoop out in the morning and add your fruit!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't even eat oatmeal, which is sad because I actually like it. But it's got way too many calories and isn't filling.