Newbie...need to lose about 130lbs

Options
:flowerforyou: Hello everyone, my name is Sandy and I need to lose over 100lbs. The task seems daunting but I have split it into smaller goals. I am 34, a full-time student and stay at home mom of three little ones under 5. Having three children in 4 years compounded by the fact that I have been very overweight all of my life (I was a size 16 in 6th grade) has really taken a toll on my body. I have a super sweet loving husband, but because he could eat McDonalds every day and still be fit, he just doesn't understand the issues that I am going through. I have been in love with food all of my life and I am starting to see that it is slowly killing me. I would really appreciate any tips or things that have helped you along the way or just an occassional word of encouragement. I would also like to find some friends for mutual support when my/your willpower is trying to take a vacation. I have already run into a few issues that I could use some help with.
1. I really want to get my metabolism regulated but I know that I can lose lbs by skipping meals but
2. I also will start losing lbs and then go to the gym and the scale stalls, which causes frustration
3. I have been purchasing the healthy choice all natural meals to eat because I have very little time to prepare my own meals after preparing meals for 4 other people throughout the day but I really want to nourish my body with fruits/vegetables. I am afraid to start snacking and let my calories get out of my daily range.

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Replies

• dmsnurse
    dmsnurse Posts: 26
    Options
    Welcome!!

If you are looking for encouragement, you have come to the right spot. I have been here about 2 weeks and have lost 2 pounds. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I will do my best to keep you encouraged.

Diane :flowerforyou:
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome . You can do it here. Log your food and do your excercises. You will have tons of support!
  • jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    If you'd like a friend you can add me. My husband can eat all kinds of junk and stay skinny- while I am here to lose 100 lbs. :smile:
    Stay strong and you can do it!
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    :smile: would love to encourage you...add me if you would like
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am around 130lbs too to lose... working towards it, it seems so far when you look at it that way... try and set mini goals... my first was 25lbs (i succeded in June of last year), but then I gained 12lbs back.. now my goal is to get back to my lowest weight which was 265 in November of last year.
  • Diem30
    Diem30 Posts: 92
    Options
    I too have about 100+ pounds to lose before I can call myself healthy and what I do may help you out. As far as boosting your metabolism the best thing you can do is to eat soon after waking up to jump start your metabolism then be fueling your body with small healthy snacks all day long several smaller low calorie meals throughout the day are better for you and regulate your metabolism helping you lose weight much better than skipping meals which is probably one of the least effective ways in the long run. Reduce scale frustration by weighing in once a week and remember to keep track of your measurement as they can be a better judge of your progress seeing as you can shed inches but gain muscle which will affect your scale numbers. Try not to eat too many pre packaged meals which can be pretty high in sodium and retain water making you feel bloated and once again adding water weight to your scale readings.
    With that in mind DRINK LOTS OF WATER cut out the pop and sugary juices which take calories and serve no real nutritional purpose...

Hope this helps and feel free to add me as a friend if you need some motivational support

Diem
  • jennyfoxx
    jennyfoxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good morning Sandy,

You made the right decision to start with Myfitnesspal. I know you will find this site to be a great help as you work through your journey.

Remember to take baby steps in hopes that you don't find yourself getting bored or losing motivation. Maybe try working on your calorie intake and learn to cook healthy, natural foods first. Preparing ahead of time is just one of the keys to staying on track. Remember processed food has tons of sodium added. Once you get this down then work on adding some exercise in a couple days a week, whatever will work for your schedule and don't forget your daily water intake which will help flush your system. Think of this journey as a life style change not a DIET!!

You will do GREAT and you will find MFP will keep you motivated and always moving toward your goals.

Good Luck Sandy!! You can do this..No more excuses!! You will not fail!!
  • JENIFER_AZ
    JENIFER_AZ Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I am new too. I did the hCg diet and lost about 85 pounds in about a year.....I just have 6-8 pounds to lose before I am at my ultimate goal weight. I'm doing this by eating healthy and keeping busy. Best of luck to you!

Jenifer
  • skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi there - welcome to MFP. Feel free to add me as a friend if you're looking for support.

I'm still struggling with weight loss and I have about 100 lbs to lose, but I'll reiterate what everyone else will tell you:
    - drink lots of water
    - log what you eat as much as possible, even if you feel like you "cheated"
    - take your measurements regularly - the scale is not the only measure of your success
    - try to focus on simple whole foods, cut out the processed stuff - I know it must be hard with little children, but they can enjoy what you eat too, without being deprived of yummy food
    - come here often for support and lots of helpful information

Best of luck - you can do it! :smile:
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Snacks are not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you're eating the right ones. Here are some great snacks I like:

1) Small red delicious apple with 2 tbsp of peanut butter.
    2) 10 Special K Multigrain crackers with 1 Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss Wedge
    3) Dannon Light & Fit Yogurt
    4) 50 Pepperridge Farm Chocolate Goldfish Grahams (count them out ahead of time!)
    5) 10 baby carrots
    6) Steamed broccoli cauliflower and carrots

Oh...I also wanted to mention that you should take a trip down the frozen veggies aisle at the grocery store. Several brands make individual portioned packages now that you can steam in the microwave in 1 minute or less. I love Birds Eye because they have little packages of peas and I loooooove peas!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Make it simple, eat the same as them...you eat less than hubby obviously but if this is a lifestyle change you cant be buying the meals you are forever. If your home cooked meals are unhealthy then change that...hubby may not put on weight but that doesnt equal fit.

If the meal has chips/fries then you either only have a few or have a jacket sweet potato...just substitute foods here and there. I won't say cut out anything because that tends to lead to cravings/binges/feelings of failure...none of those things are conducive to weight loss. Moderation and management is the key.

Buy some scales so you know exactly what you are having...its easy to under and over estimate. Was doing it myself...was doing myself out of protein!

I had 99lbs to lose when I started and really couldnt see the light at the end of the tunnel, its still a long way off but I can see it and KNOW I will get there. Set yourself lots of mini goal...My first goal was to get a loss, any loss (micro goal maybe lol!) There have been many and theyre never more than about 10lbs because I need to feel theyre doable in a short time.

Good luck, you can do this and if you stick around on here you WILL do this
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sandy! I'm Tabby, 34, mom of 2, and I've started with over a 100lbs to lose as well. The 5 weeks I've been here has been fantastic and I can honestly say with the support of my MFP friends I really feel like I can and will see this through!

As for some of your questions I would tell you never skips meals-- especially breakfast! Even if you wake up not hungry, try to have a small snack to give the fuel you need to get your day going. Another thing-- don't be afraid to snack. In fact, you can PLAN to snack of purpose say between breakfast and lunch or whatever time of day your feel lacking. Aim for 100 to 150 calories if that feels safer for you and make them a protein with a carb to keep you satisfied longer. Some examples are a light string cheese with a small apple or 1/2 a banana with a100cal pk of almonds. To be honest I was very afraid I was not going to lose weight by eating real food--given all the crazy fad diets I have sadly tried and the numerous times I joined and rejoined weight watchers over the years. But joining MFP has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. You can friend me and look through my food diary if you like and you can see how imperfect some days are but in the long run the weight has been coming off like never before for me.

So jump right in and know you CAN do this! And we'll all be here to share and help you along the way :smile:
  • JaneOAnderson
    JaneOAnderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making the effort to get started! Every path starts with the first step, and here you are!
    I have recently changed (drastically) the way I have eaten all my life, and I, like you have 3 children and a husband to consider also. (I'm 50 years old and am about 30 lbs. overweight.) I decided that since I am in charge of all the food buying and preparation, it is my responsibility to feed my family right as well as myself. If your children are little, now is the perfect time for you to start this! If you can find ways to cook one meal for the whole family that will also serve to help you lose weight, that's the only way you will survive without going nuts. And if your husband just can't stand it, he probably knows the way to McDonald's!

If I were you, I'd start by adding a lot more fruits and veggies to everyone's meals, more whole grains and beans. I find the Boca and Morning Star meatless items in the freezer section of the grocery store are mainstays of many of our meals. WAY less fat and animal products and the meatless crumbles are fantastic for spaghetti, chili, and tacos. I put the "chicken" nuggets in my kids' lunches today, in fact. Add some black beans to things like tacos and chili--they'll never notice! Eat massive salads without lots of cheeses and processed meats, and find a lowfat or fat-free dressing you like. Or make your own out of a packet of powdered ranch dressing and some cottage cheese (add a little milk and put it all in your food processor.). My kids LOVE homemade pizza made out of pita rounds, bottled pizza sauce and any toppings they like. I buy turkey pepperoni and dole it out to them very sparingly! We've begun using fat-free shredded cheese. My husband and I like making our own pizzas too, using veggies like sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, red onion, green or red or yellow peppers, asparagus, a bit of feta cheese--whatever! We do still eat meat, but maybe once or twice a week. And I am picky about what type of meat I buy--I look for meat from grain-fed animals. It's more expensive, but if we are only eating it once or twice a week, it's still less expensive.

Oh--and I'd strongly recommend you stop buying sugary breakfast cereals. Cascadian Farms makes a lot of really great products that my kids like, and they aren't getting all the high fructose corn syrup to start their day. I like it too. By the way, my favorite breakfast--I eat it almost every day--is 1/2 cup of cooked Kashi 7-Grain pilaf with raisins, raw nuts, tsp. honey, and a little bit of almond milk. I like blueberries or strawberries on top of all that (I don't heat the berries though).

I'm sorry if I am rambling, but I am very excited about the way my family is responding to all this. And to the way I am responding--I have lost 17 lbs. since January 23, I sleep better, have more energy during the daytime, and I'm not starving all the time. I actually enjoy working out at the gym!

Good luck and thanks for letting me get up on my soapbox!

p.s. I found a meatless hotdog that 4 out of 5 of us like: Yves Good Dog. I actually like the texture and flavor better than a regular hotdog.
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i have almost 100 pounds to lose as well. feel free to add me and i will help keep you motivated. skipping meals will eventually send your body into starvation mode and will reverse any progress youhave made. if water is a problem try adding lemon or orange slices for a change. If you use a straw to drink your water you will intake more without realizing it. :laugh: good luck and i look forward to seeing your progress :flowerforyou:
  • JaneOAnderson
    JaneOAnderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good advice about the small meals and snacks! Eating small healthy foods regulates your insulin levels, which keeps you from packing on the pounds.