Steel Cut Oats

Options
This stuff's good. 35 mins in a rice cooker and it's ready for honey and fruit, needs nothing else, and keeps me full all morning when nothing else will.

Replies

• TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    This stuff's good. 35 mins in a rice cooker and it's ready for honey and fruit, needs nothing else, and keeps me full all morning when nothing else will.
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Oh what a good idea ... I love steel cut oats but don't like to stand there stirring them. I'd never even thought about the rice cooker!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    u can use any grain in the rice cooker, far as I know. Works for me.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm a dip. What are Steel Cut Oats?
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats are, like, the better for you version of oatmeal... they cook slower and have more nutritional value than instant oatmeal...they taste sooo much better too, and are much more filling!

I'd never thought about using my rice cooker before! That's awesome because then I can just put it in there to cook while I get ready for work. Brilliant! :drinker:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    OK how many calories and how would one cook them in a rice cooker ,............water skim milk
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats are, like, the better for you version of oatmeal... they cook slower and have more nutritional value than instant oatmeal...they taste sooo much better too, and are much more filling!

I'd never thought about using my rice cooker before! That's awesome because then I can just put it in there to cook while I get ready for work. Brilliant! :drinker:

Thanks. We never get anything good out here in BFE. Just the most common stuff that everybody uses.
  • psyknife
    Options
    OK how many calories and how would one cook them in a rice cooker ,............water skim milk
    The caloric value depends on what oats you use and what you put in it. You'll likely have to enter the oats and toppings separate the first time and then save that meal for easier usage later.
    Oatmeal breakfasts can go anywhere from 300 calories to probably 800 depending on the toppings.

To save calories, use water instead of milk to make it.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Well, I, too, never heard of them--Are they really good? I don't care too much for regular oatmeal--do these taste better? I'll have to look in my local grocery store. I'm really looking for something different for breakfast--getting tired of cereal.

Oh, what's the sodium content like?
  • psyknife
    Options
    To me... instant oatmeals taste like they might as well be scraps of paper...

Real oats actually taste like grains.
  • pdxmomof2
    Options
    I just looked up Bob's Red Mill and for 1/4 cup uncooked it is 140 cals, 27 carbs, 3 grams fat and 6 grams protien. Then you would add what ever you want for flavor. I like a little milk and something sweet like fruit in mine. It usually ends up being about 300 cals to 350. It is yummy! I find that I dont care for regular or instant oatmeal at all anymore!

Oh, and if you can buy it in bulk it is sooooo much cheaper. They want alot in the fancy little pre-measured packages.

Enjoy!
    Amy
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    cool gotta try this
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips gang... I'll do that then, get some in bulk:drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    They're awesome! You can buy them in bulk at natural food stores. And now even places like Wal*mart, Kroger, Meijer, are selling them w/ the other oatmeals (look on the top shelf).

I just cook them on the stove- 1 cup of steel cut oats and 3 cups of water. Don't stir, just let it boil for about 20 min.

Although from what I can see they don't have any more nutritional value (they're just processed differently- instead of rolled like old fashioned *rolled* oatmeal), they're a different texture and yummy!

Jess
  • pamelaeilf
    Options
    I know someone who does them in the slow cooker overnight.

She says they freeze well too.
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    The night before I work out I put 1/4-1/3 a cup in a mug with a little protein powder and then fill it with almond milk (any kind of milk would do) and sitr it once and then leave it in the fridge. It is a perfect consistency in the morning and I can either warm it up or eat it on the go. No cooking needed!
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options
    I love steel cut oats! I soak them overnight then make them in the morning with banana, nut butter, ground flax and agave nectar. So good!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    this is great. I bought an Irish brand and have had it several times, but it is a production. I will pick up a rice cooker, need one for the whole grain rice I am going to make.

I love the oats with a packet of raw sugar and 1/2 cup of skim milk
    or
    right when it is hot and steamy, I add my blueberries. mmmmmmmmmmmm