trainning and going nowhere

Options
Hi all ,
I have been training 5 times a week and eating 1200 to 1400 cals a day,I weigh 226 lbs , it's been 2 weeks that nothing has been happening , any ideas why ? some say that I don't eat enough but can that be the only reason? :sad: :mad: :explode:
I do take anti depressors that made me gain like mad but cannot get off them as of now. I need help, this is getting discouraging , specially that I am doing the same thing as one of my friends and she lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks..what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    it's been 2 weeks....
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Is your weight just staying the same? Measure yourself, the scale can be annoying at times, also check your meds there might be side effects that make it harder to loose weight. Don't get discouraged, it will come off.
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    Hi! First, give yourself a little time, its only been two weeks! :) Second, perhaps look at your training program. A lot of training focuses on strength, which is good, but to burn calories and feel really good cardio is very helpful. Nothing is better than running, but spinning and the eliptical when done at high intensity are good too.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Play around with it.

Eat more for a week or two. See what happens. I hit a plateau of three and a half weeks once. It happens. Change things up and give it time!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    Try eating more. Don't starve yourself or you will not be able to stick with the plan.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Stay with it, if you maintain a calorie deficit you will lose weight - what sort of training are you doing..? If cardio, work at 65-70% of max heart rate (if safe for you) as this burns fat the best. I use a heart monitor so as not to overdo things, as I'm now the wrong side of 45 :happy:
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    Get off the scale, it's evil and will lie to you. The measuring tape never lies. Keep up the good work, sweetie. You'll be rewarded eventually :-).
  • jennlloyd
    jennlloyd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try eating more calories. When you set your goal, MFP can tell you how many calories you should eat a day based on your weight. And it factors in a 500 calorie deficit to lose weight. It also might be that you are building muscle, and since muscle weighs more than fat you might not see the scale change but you would notice your clothes getting looser. Keep at it!
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    share your food diary for better feedback from people

I am at 229 pounds and I eat around 1700 per day, plus some of my exercise calories...I was stalled for 3 weeks...then today, down one pound

we did not put the weight on over night...it is not going to come off over night
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would discuss this with your doctor as it sounds like your meds are playing a major role in this - if you get no good advice there

Make sure you drink plenty of water

eat 6 small meals every day

cardio 30 - 45 mins per day - there is no need to do hours of cardio
    weight train twice a week ( only do 30 mins of cardio or non on these days )

I complete day of rest from training

adjust the balance here so your protein is higher and fat and carbs are lower - maybe up to a 1400 cals day - 1200 may be on the low side
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    It is not always just how many calories. Sometimes it is the type of calories. If I eat a lot of carbs I don't lose. For me the key is to focus on more protein. Is your friend eating the exact same food you are? You might want to change your goals to be 30% protein.
  • jessicanelson84
    Options
    Non Processed Food Diets

http://www.ehow.com/way_5217224_non-processed-food-diets.html

I'm on this Diet and it works very well.I was 200 pounds just a month ago now i have lost 18 pound in 1 month
    Maybe this diet with working out 5 days a week and only eating 1200 Calories a day will help you .

Good luck
    from JessicaNelson84
  • HW2Hottie
    HW2Hottie Posts: 100
    Options
    I am curious about this as well. I have played with the calories, taken rest days (with an "s") and have not lost more than a pound in the last month. Measurements haven't moved either.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    We have the same starting weight. I eat 1500-1700 calories on most days and exercise about 5 times a week (230 to 400 cal burns). You can look at my diary to see what I eat. But I cook and I eat. And I am losing.

Just remember that two weeks is a short amount of time to judge progress. This is a journey. There is no magic. There’s no instant-loss-secret. There is much to learn, because so much of what we assume to be true about long-term weight loss (i.e. that eating less is always best) is wrong. Many of us have become fat by chronically under eating, eating nutrient poor foods, and refusing to move our bodies more than we sit. Changing all of that takes time. And two weeks is nothing. Move into long term planning mood, not short term fix.
  • mgmirador
    Options
    I agree with all the input above but I'd like you to keep two points in mind. First and Foremost... it's only been two weeks. You have GOT to keep at it at the pace you're going and be patient. While the meds MAY have something to do with it, the doctor will tell you that two weeks is too short of a time to base anything on.

Don't get discouraged! Just like tinaswt said "we did not put the weight on over night...it is not going to come off over night"! ... it's not gonna come off in two weeks either... hell... for me... it's been 4 months since I've seen any difference but it's not a reason to revert back to my unhealthy ways.
  • maryh1974
    maryh1974 Posts: 41
    Options
    wow , you guys are awesome..Thank you so much for all the good pointers..I am going to up my calorie intake to 1500 a day when I train , it just seems like so much food..lol , compare to what I use to eat when watching my food intake. I will not give up and will keep at it..I do Zumba 3 times a week and total body burn by Shaun T 2 times a week. Thank you all...HUGS xxx and keep up the awesome work