Is it not wanting to insult or something else?

Options
Still_Sossy
Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
Ok, I have lost 19 pounds since January. And I am very excited about it and will continue to work really hard. But my friends and family have not said ONE word. Except to critque my food choices. It may seem vain and superficial, but I would like someone to say, Gee, did you lose some weight?
SO I wonder if they just do not want to insult me?
Or are they just being stinkers and are refusing to acknowledge it?
Is this common ya think?
Or is it that I have not lost enough possible and they have not noticed? I dunno. I just would like a little high five from my friends and family. :smile:

Replies

• bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    the people i am around everyday don't see the changes like the people i haven't seen in weeks or months .so it might be because they see you everyday .
  • pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Options
    I know my sister said it usually takes more than 25 or 30 lbs before she starts getting complements! I'd say with eating disorders out there and what not maybe they are afraid of saying anything that may be insulting causeing you to do more harm than good to yourself that or theres that other breed that just doesn't want to accept it cause it makes them feel bad and like they need to step it up and there just not ready yet so they chose to ignore it?
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    They could be jealous... Or maybe they just are not comfortable complimenting people. Or its possible that they see you enough that since they witnessed the transformation it doesn't "Seem" like you have lost much because it has been a gradual change that they have seen happen. Does that make sense? If you don't see someone for a while and they lose weight it has a much larger impact than when you see them everyday.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about that, I even found myself working out harder so that my family would notice and the next get together. I imaged them being happy for me and guess what, not one person said anything. well, one of my sisters who had the bypass surger and then gained it back told me that I was malnutourished (cannot spell). That hurt because one, I am still considered over weight and two, I worked really hard and cheered her on when she was going through her journey.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I've had the similar problem with my Mum In Law...when I told her about my Power90 Journey back in Dec 2010. She asked me 'Why, you don't need lose weight'...I showed her my Day 1 & Day 90 progress pictures...She was floored...She told me that it's a new person that I created. She even bought me my new 28" waist jeans that weekend, when I graduate from Power90.

Maybe show them before & after pictures...than maybe your family and friends - will realize what you are doin' in your new lifestyle.

Humans I will never yesterday how they work - Keep your head up, Just shock them this summer in a new HOT BIKINI :happy: & than maybe they will take notice & listen :wink:

You have us your MFP family always forever...xo :heart:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    well i have to say they must notice since they critique your food choices. have you talked to anyone about wanting to lose weight
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    You know what, I have had the SAME problem! I've lost 15 (gained a few back after a bad week, but I got it under control again) and NO ONE said anything. I swear I could see it when I looked in the mirror, but not a word from anyone, it was SO discouraging! Then last week I spent some time in my hometown with a bunch of long time friends from school who only see me every 6 weeks or even less often... one of them saw me and immediately said "TAMI! You've lost weight, you look amazing!" And my heart soared and I could have walked on water at that point, I was SO excited!
    I thought about it and realized that the people here, the ones who see me every day, see me EVERY DAY, and so they probably don't notice it because it's been gradual changes, a half pound here, a centimeter of the waist there, it's happened slowly enough that they just really don't notice it, it took someone who saw me before I lost any, and then didn't see me again since Christmas, to be able to notice it as a drastic change... hope that helps!
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Depends on how often see they see you. Also depends on what kind of people they are. My family generally aren't "complimentary" people. It'd be nice if they were, but they're not. If they notice something, they keep it to themselves. I've gotten plenty of feedback from others, so I still feel good. I've just gotten used to hearing nothing from them. I'll ask my mom if I look thinner and she'll say "yes," but she won't offer it on her own.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem! Everyone knows that I am trying to lose weight. I've lost 25 lbs now, and not one person has said a word about it. I had even mentioned to my brother that I've been working on my weight and had lost 15 lbs (at the time) and he replied something along the lines of "Well that's pretty superficial, don't you think?!" Made me feel pretty bad, like trying to become a healthy weight is wrong!!!!

So, yeah, I sympathize. But at least I feel good about my accomplishments, and you should to! After all, we're becoming healthy (and yes, better looking) for ourselves... not for anyone else, right?
    :flowerforyou:
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting question. I sure would like to know because I have a friend in my life that refuses to say anything about the fact that I've lost 91 lbs! lol I know that he notices. and it's not insecurities because he's a heavy lifter and very in shape. He's also not self absorbed.. I think my weight loss might just make him uncomfortable to bring up for some reason. Either way, he doesn't treat me differently, so I'm okay with it when it comes to him. I just think it's weird because it makes it feel taboo to talk about with him, lol. Maybe he's worried it's too personal of a topic to discuss with me... either way, at this point I would feel weird talking to him about it, lol.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I know it exactly what you mean. I've lost 17 lbs since 1/17 and only my husband and a co-worker / friend have said one word about it. My mom didn't even say anything and she's usually one of the 1st to notice, especially in my face. I try to stay focused and positive and not let it get to me but I do notice. Keep working hard and do it for YOU!! The compliments will come. :flowerforyou: Congratulations on being more than 1/2 way to your goal!!!!!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    usually the ones that see you the most are the last to notice because its happening gradually... happened a couple years ago my wife lost 82 lbs but i barely noticed because i saw her everyday.. and since i've been noticing she has been the to see it.. its not a matter or being a stinker as you call it... just keep doing what youre doing
  • RissyKissy
    RissyKissy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Often times people dont say anything because it can be misconstrued so easily. Alot of people, regardless of their weight, are uncomfortable talking about weight. As others noticed, sometimes people see you so often that they dont really notice. I'll give you a high five though, good job :smile:
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    Options
    When I first started this I felt the same way. I thought I looked like I had lost weight but it took about 25-35 lbs before anyone said anything. After that the comments started coming from all sides. I also wonder sometimes if people are afraid to say something for fear you lost the weight because you are ill. I'm always afraid of asking someone if they've lost weight and have them respond "Yes, I have cancer!" I know it's silly but that's sometimes how I think.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Why look elsewhere for compliments or support? Yes its nice to get that but in the end the only one you have to satisfy is yourself, unfortunately to many women on here do not take the time to reflect and see just how far they have come. Call it whatever you like the bottom line is that you need to be strong mentally to make the changes needed and there are always going to be the negative ppl that will attempt to pull you down, give them the proverbial single digit wave and just keep on trucking.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're jealous?

I've lost 75 lbs since moving out of state, and not once in two years has my best friend said one word about it when she sees me. It burns me up, but I think maybe she's jealous?
  • Tabs_A
    Tabs_A Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't feel bad about it, we see the little changes but it takes a lot longer before others notice, especially if they see you every day. I didn't start getting compliments on my weight loss until I had lost 30+ lbs.
  • KatherineVictoria
    Options
    I get the same reaction! My mom in particular comments on what I'm eating. The only people who have said anything to me were my friends/coworkers... Who only noticed because they had to tighten my harness around me before I climbed!

I think it just takes time away from people for them to notice. I know the encouragement is nice ( trust me I crave it too! ) but we are doing this for ourselves ultimately, right? So who cares! You know your doing great and you notice the difference! That's what really counts!
  • kjclay
    kjclay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!! I know exactly how you feel.Why do we crave the affirmation from our friends and family? I tend to believe that they see us all the time and are used to us looking a certain way, so they don't notice a "measly" 19 or 20 pounds. To us, it's a HUGE deal. The same thing is happening to me. I WANT people to ask and notice, but, since I'm not wearing different or new clothes yet, they don't. I remember a co-worker who lost 100 lbs. To me, she looked better every day, but not until she started wearing smaller, more fitting clothes, did the transformation really became obvious. Just wait till you see someone who has not seen you in awhile and you just happen to be wearing your skinny jeans. They WILL notice and you will be flying high. Good luck and continue your downward trek. :flowerforyou:
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Your guess is going to be better then anyone's here because none of us know your family.