Why is eating healthier so darned expensive??

Options
So I went grocery shopping yesterday and was SO proud of myself for selecting good choices. No comfort foods, no snacky sins, just what was on the list (a miracle in and of itself) and yogurt, fruits, and vegetables. Feeling pretty good about myself, I sauntered into the checkout line, and once the tally was calculated, I about had a coronary. What in the world???

Has anyone else come into contact with this dilemma? And if so, how have you combated eating healthy vs. the economic price crunch??

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I find eating healthy cheaper. fresh chicken is cheaper than pre packaged crap, fresh veggies that are in season can cost next to nothing. Try buying in season and/or on sale food instead. I find eating healthy actually costs slightly less, as you are not paying for all the packaging or the marketing of the products.

Even if it costs slightly more, you will save thousands on future doctor bills and prescriptions. Pay a little more today, to save a bunch tomorrow.
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joe's and/or Aldi close by? I spend a little extra gas/time every week to shop at Trader Joe's because their prices CANNOT be beat!
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I figure we're going to pay that same money one way or another. Either we pay it up front for healthy living, or we pay it later in medical costs for health related problems that come with bad eating habits. I figure I'd rather pay it up front and have a good life.

Aside from that, my hubby and I watch for what's on sale, and stock up on the good stuff at reduced rates when we can.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Try going to local farmers markets and buying produce from them. It's always cheaper for me!
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    I try to make as much for myself rather than buy convenience anything.
    Salad - I buy the lettuce heads, wash, dry cut myself
    Carrots - I buy whole ones and peel them myself
    I don't by pre-packaged anything in produce.
    I use dried beans to make beans - super cheap and good for you!
    I buy the large containers of yogurt instead of those individual cups.
    Bulk I guess is the way to go :)

I also look at it as a long term investment in my health.
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It may seem like more of an upfront cost but I have actually saved money by eating healthier..here's how:

-only drinking water so not buying juice, pop etc.
    -not buying junkfood
    -rarely eating out (gets sooo pricey)

I just tell myself that even if it seems more expensive to live a healthier lifestyle that it is sooo worth it.
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    yes and i think it's absurd. I started using coupons to save some. it helps. my last trip to Kroger I could not believe how expensive fresh fruit and veggies are. And I wasn't in the organic section. $1 for a green bell pepper? please.

but everyone before me is correct, it's worth it in the end.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    No doubt! Some of the staples are nice and cheap though, like brocolli and baby carrots!

Also, I'm eating (no joke) HALF what I was before. So the food lasts much longer. So, even though it's more expensive, it balances out due to the decreased quantity. AKA: I'm no longer shoveling food into my face hole.

haha ;)

It's all worth it, anyway, right? :)
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    YES!!!! Eating healthy, buying fresh produce, etc...is more expensive! Here are a few tips I've come up with. First, tell yourself it's worth the extra $ to be healthy! Second, I've become one of those crazy coupon people! I get the Sunday paper every week and cut coupons. I've even started exchanging ones I don't use with coworkers. If you're not into coupon clipping, you can also usually find printable coupons for the more expensive items by looking online. There are a million blogs that track online coupons. I save an average of $60 each time I go to the grocery store (twice/month). Obviously there aren't coupons for every item, but, for example, I never buy yogurt without a coupon because there are ALWAYS coupons for some kind of yogurt. Hopefully others will have additional ideas, but this is how I've combatted the sticker shock!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    There IS ways around this. Buy yourself a good digital scale, and some snack baggies. I always buy a big bags of stuff and then portion out EVERYTHING. I do a lot of pretzels, nuts, strawberry shredded wheat, chicken breasts, etc etc... If you buy in bulk and then package stuff yourself its a LOT better and cheaper. You can also write the calories and fats on the food you eat too. This way, I know EXACTLY what im eating, and can log it much better. Also, if you go to farmers markets and stuff in the summer, you save a TON of money on fresh stuff!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    yes and i think it's absurd. I started using coupons to save some. it helps. my last trip to Kroger I could not believe how expensive fresh fruit and veggies are. And I wasn't in the organic section. $1 for a green bell pepper? please.

$1 for a pepper less than what I pay. I find that cheep, that is about the price of a chocolate bar and it goes a lot further.
  • sdhorne
    sdhorne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well the reason is that the healthy stuff doesn't "sell" as well as the "not-as-healthy" food. If more people bought the healthy food, would be cheaper. Also, the price of fuel is going up so that is increasing the costs. One of the big factors of that is produce as the stores have to pay to have it shipped to their distrubution centers then pay to have it shipped to the stores and due to the low shelf life of produce it is something that they can't order and have stockpiles of it. So if you notice, produce prices are going up.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joe's and/or Aldi close by? I spend a little extra gas/time every week to shop at Trader Joe's because their prices CANNOT be beat!

Aldi and Trader Joe's are great. We have an Aldi and it saves us a lot of money on the staples. Wish we had a trader Joe's. We are hoping one will come soon.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm NO! Why do people keep saying this? I only spend $100-$150 a month on groceries for 2 people, $30 is diet pepsi (hubby's vice not mine) so that's a "junk" food or non essential food of sorts. Unless you are buying organic buying healthy is CHEAP!!

I can even give you a list of everything I buy in a month if you need proof. A person on here asked about a month ago how I spent so little so I kept that info in a document since it took a little bit of time to figure out.
  • jennlloyd
    jennlloyd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I actually had the opposite happen. Now that I eat fresh meat and produce, I spend much less money than I did with the prepackaged and processed foods. Here are some ideas: Try bananas, apples, yogurt, string cheese. All those make cheap and healthy snacks. Brown rice and whole grain pastas make for inexpensive side dishes combined with fresh, frozen, or canned veggies. Always try out store brands, you'd be surprised how much they taste like the more expensive. And for meat, watch for sales and specials.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    So I went grocery shopping yesterday and was SO proud of myself for selecting good choices. No comfort foods, no snacky sins, just what was on the list (a miracle in and of itself) and yogurt, fruits, and vegetables. Feeling pretty good about myself, I sauntered into the checkout line, and once the tally was calculated, I about had a coronary. What in the world???

Has anyone else come into contact with this dilemma? And if so, how have you combated eating healthy vs. the economic price crunch??
    Personally I find healthy eating for myself far less costly. I imagine it depends on what you buy. I don't purchase much in pkgs as that gets costly. I'm starting to make my own Greek yogurt which is very very low cost and far tastier. mmm

I purchase fruits only in season, same with veggies, I purchase legumes but buy them in bulk, and soak and cook them up myself, same with any other dry products that have that potential (split peas, brown rice, any type of legumes etc.). If you've not tried purchasing by bulk it can make a world of difference.

Eating healthy food shouldn't cost more than over processed snack food like Cheeto's, boxes mac & cheese, cookies, candies etc. None of that will keep us satisfied so it may seem cheap when we buy it but it won't sustain us so I never see boxed macaroni as cheap. I know some on here feel it's cheap so they purchase it but it's processed and doesn't keep a child or an adult full or healthy.

I don't know all the food items you purchased but sometimes easing into new purchases can help in adapting your meals. Less meat, more legumes (wonderful protein!), meat on sale or butchers special etc.

Planning meals out ahead of time before shopping makes a world of difference for myself I've found! Cooking up foods, portioning and then freezing into individual servings works well.

Hope you find tricks that work for you as time goes on!:flowerforyou:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

$1 for a pepper less than what I pay. I find that cheep, that is about the price of a chocolate bar and it goes a lot further.

Yea, $1 is no big deal at all. 2 peppers, 2 chicken breasts and 2 cups of brown rice you have yourself a $6 dinner for 2. $3 meal with meat is a pretty good deal.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    I find eating healthy cheaper. fresh chicken is cheaper than pre packaged crap, fresh veggies that are in season can cost next to nothing. Try buying in season and/or on sale food instead. I find eating healthy actually costs slightly less, as you are not paying for all the packaging or the marketing of the products.

Even if it costs slightly more, you will save thousands on future doctor bills and prescriptions. Pay a little more today, to save a bunch tomorrow.
    this is right on and let me add a few things ever look at the price per lb of junk food? and tell me would you be fuller longer on a protion of chips or and apple Also if you need to save money buy larger package and repackage snack packs yourself those 100 cal pack are crazy expensive (look at Price pre lbs) buy fresh chicken and burger in bulk and freeze it.
    remember its your health and your body and you're worth it
  • pwprice59
    pwprice59 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Its spring garden time, get your seeds and plants in the ground. If you don't have the space or live in an apartment, consider participating in a community garden. A great place to start a community garden is in affiliation with a church or elementary school.
  • mfergie889
    Options
    mmm...I think eating healthier is much cheaper! The only issue I had was that my produce was spoiling quickly which = a waste of money. So now 75% of the veggies I buy are frozen, but a big bag of frozen spinach/peppers/beans at trader joes is only $1.99 and they last forever. You dont HAVE to buy organic if you cant afford it...