Opinions on whether or not to eat the calories you burn exe

Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Good job alypri!

Most days I do not eat the the calories I get from exercising. Its not that I try and do that but I am just not hungry and I am not going to force myself to eat and then feel sick. But its not like I burned 500 calories and didn't eat anything, I usually use up half of that 500 calories, if that makes sense.

Thank you and yes it makes perfect sense! No one knows your body like you do everyone has to do what works for them!! (within reason) lol
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I eat them. I aim at 1200 net minimum... I totally get the logic of this and it seems right to me. My body needs fuel to live. I dont want to get sick.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I dont eat enough and I know I should, but it scares me :(
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i eat them if im hungry if not then i 'save' them for a day when im not so good. just trying to keep it balanced.
  • NanoReefDiver
    Options
    I eat them all back, my body freaked out and broke through my birth control non-stop when I didn't (quite the motivation!!). I use a quality HRM so it seems pretty accurate, though if I work out for a while I've started take out about 70 or so to stay truer to my net exercise calories.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Some days I do, some days I don't. I usually don't though. When I signed up, I selected 1 lb a week loss and I get like 1700 cals a day so I figure it's not that big a deal. If I had selected 2 lbs a week, I'd probably eat them back most of the time.
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do not know how I could possibly eat back all these calories...A. I am not that hungry and B. If I try to eat all the calories back I will go over on fat, carbs, sodium and I do not want to do that either...what to do?

You will not go over on fat as it is based on % of total calories, so your fat calories would increase as well. You don't have to eat more food to eat more calories, just make different food choices. Eat/drink foods higher in calories if you are having trouble getting to your goal intake.

Thanks for the tip...but I have 100 lbs to lose and I don't want to be eating all this high calorie food either. I understand what you are saying but if I am eating right and exercising and not hungry isn't it ok that I don't eat them all back?
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I eat about 3/4 of them to leave room for any miscalculations. I have lost 80 lbs doing this so it must be working. :)

This is what I do too...sometimes I eat them all but I usually leave about 100 to account for the pb I lick off theknife when I make kids sandwiches etc...
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My goal is set for 1250 as my BMR is 1248. Once I add in exercise it bumps up to about 1880. I always eat the calories so that my net at the end of the day is around 1250. My weight is currently 117.8, down from 120-121 last week. I'm happy with how I'm getting to my body's happy weight range =]
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I do not know how I could possibly eat back all these calories...A. I am not that hungry and B. If I try to eat all the calories back I will go over on fat, carbs, sodium and I do not want to do that either...what to do?

You will not go over on fat as it is based on % of total calories, so your fat calories would increase as well. You don't have to eat more food to eat more calories, just make different food choices. Eat/drink foods higher in calories if you are having trouble getting to your goal intake.

Thanks for the tip...but I have 100 lbs to lose and I don't want to be eating all this high calorie food either. I understand what you are saying but if I am eating right and exercising and not hungry isn't it ok that I don't eat them all back?

Maybe, but if your goal is to lose 2lbs/week you must eat them all back or your caloric deficit will be larger than your goal deficit. Since it is your goal, it should be your goal for a reason. The only way to meet your goal (not exceed) is to eat them.
  • traceyrbb
    traceyrbb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the same concern but I've been eating my actual 1200 not my NET most days and have lost an average of 1-2 pounds a week. Not that I don't want to eat more but I don't know why I have to change what I do if what I'm doing is working? I actually just started burning more calories in a day (around 500+) so my calorie count goes up a lot....but I still fall somewhere between 1200-1500 a day. I'm afraid to eat more.
  • 77LouLou
    77LouLou Posts: 75
    Options
    If ur hungry eat them..if not dnt! Be careful bc exercise calories are calculated too high and u will over eat if ur not careful!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If ur hungry eat them..if not dnt! Be careful bc exercise calories are calculated too high and u will over eat if ur not careful!

Depends how you are calculating your caloires burned. You can aim to eat Most of them to leave some room for a margin of error.
  • Kat120285
    Options
    Your net at the end of the day should not be below your BMR unless you have a lot of weight to lose. Before I started counting calories I was barely making it to 800 or 900, nevermind 1200. I exercise twice a day and so I burn around 600 calories a day. I end up eating around 1880 a little more or a little less each day but my net is around 1250. You need to make sure you're feeding your body. While you might be losing weight your body isn't being properly fed if you're not eating enough and so it turns to what it's got for fuel. Your body will start going after muscle and such if you don't properly feed it. I'm never really hungry because I eat every 2-3 hours but I know I have to get my calories in. I'm now safely and healthfully losing weight.
  • 77LouLou
    77LouLou Posts: 75
    Options
    Your net at the end of the day should not be below your BMR unless you have a lot of weight to lose. Before I started counting calories I was barely making it to 800 or 900, nevermind 1200. I exercise twice a day and so I burn around 600 calories a day. I end up eating around 1880 a little more or a little less each day but my net is around 1250. You need to make sure you're feeding your body. While you might be losing weight your body isn't being properly fed if you're not eating enough and so it turns to what it's got for fuel. Your body will start going after muscle and such if you don't properly feed it. I'm never really hungry because I eat every 2-3 hours but I know I have to get my calories in. I'm now safely and healthfully losing weight.

Ok..idk all the lingo...BMR..this the goal they set for you? And net should b 1200!! That's alot of food some days! I'm not hungry bc I too..eat every 3 hours! How do you get in that much food..if not hungry?
  • traceyrbb
    traceyrbb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    very strange to be dieting to lose weight yet I apparently don't eat enough in a day...just strikes me funny! anyway, so if I exercise and burn 500 calories then I need to eat 500 more calories to keep my body going. and if I have a day where I want to over eat (like on a holiday or something) then if I exercise what I over ate, then I'm fine and still on track? :smile: that's awesome if that's how it works. I am going to have to make an effort to eat more I guess.
  • Kat120285
    Options
    BMR is what your body burns if you were to just stay in bed all day, you could add a few more calories for daily activities. So I could actually go over 1250 and still lose weight because my body is burning calories whether or no I'm exercising. It needs at least the 1250 to function, therefore if I didn't eat back the 600 from working out, I would in actuality only be giving my body 650 calories to use as fuel for doing what it needs to do (breathing, functioning in general). So yes, you eat back the calories from exercise so that your net ends back up at your BMR number, which for me is 1248 so I don't want to go below that or I'll technically be starving my body. THat's why when you add exercise it says you've earned such and such a number of calories to eat.
  • robsgal
    robsgal Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I try to eat most of them but also leave some calories left over. I tend to always try my kids food or sometimes take the last bite if that's all that's left and I really do not want to try to figure out how much the leftover crust is on a PB&J. I really like how one person put it about you eating 1200 calories then burning 600 calories and equaling out to you only eating 600. That's the first time it's really clicked with me. I just did it because everything I understand tells me to eat all the calories but it's rarely put so simply. Thanks for explaining it to those of us who don't have the energy or time to thing too long and hard about it!
  • Kat120285
    Options
    It can be tough getting in so much food as I'm a small girl. I choose high calorie healthy foods. Most of my meals are very small but pack a high amount of calories. For example for breakfast I have a slice of 100% all natural whole wheat toast with all natural peanutbutter, a banana on top and a glass of milk. Comes out to be about 400 cals for a small amount of food. Sometimes it's hard shoveling the food in especially if I get a late start to the day and have some calorie catching up to do but I want to lose weight the healthy way. I want to feed my body so that it lets go of the weight naturally and so that it doesn't go after the muscle that I've worked so hard at building. This is why a year ago I was skinny but not at all healthy. I wasn't eating nearly enough, never had energy and was still "soft" Now I'm actually feeding my body, taking in around 1880 cals a day but in reality it's only around 1250 cals a day because I burn around 600 with exercise.
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    Oh geez...not this again...
    Why even write this????????

this is a popular topic and comes up often.