I have just discovered Hungry Girl.....

Options
shannonshock13
shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
OMFG!!! Amazing, i am going to go grocery shopping so i can make some of this awesome looking food and switch up my menu!!

Whats your favorite Hungry Girl Recipe????

Replies

• AQHAShowgirl
    AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just found it not too long ago myself. I made Chocolate cupcakes on the weekend using a box of Devil's Food Cake Mix and a can of Pepsi Max. They are amazing. I also made the Fiberlicious Bean Dip last week. Yummy!! I'm dying to try the Onion Rings and the Jalapeno "Swappers" though.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yum yum brownie muffins and i use a way healthier cake mix, so my muffins are like 50 calories each!! so moist and delicious
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE HG! I have all of her cookbooks and I just found out that she has a cooking show on the cooking channel!
    Can't wait to get Hungry Girl 300 Under 300: 300 Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Dishes Under 300 Calories.

I have a few fave recipes but can't remember the names.
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I love Hungry Girl too! She does use quite a bit of processed food, which quite a few people complain about. That stuff can also get expensive. However, sometimes I just want to eat something like pizza or a burger and Hungry Girl recipes can really help making something that is a good compromise. It allows me to feel like I get to eat something that's not salad or "diet" food without completely blowing all my hard work to stay on track.

I really like the chicken pot pie: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/710
    The chili dog: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/437
    (I've never found that Boca meatless chili, so I use the 99% fat free vegetarian chili that comes in a can...and sometimes I put it on a plate, with a dab of greek yogurt or fat free sour cream)

In addition to the recipes, I've learned about a lot of great snack ideas & low fat products that are out there. More specifically which one's taste better than others.
    Breyer's No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream is my favorite diet ice cream and is freaking delicious with a a small glass of A&W Diet Root Beer.
  • heathermomofthree
    heathermomofthree Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What do you put in your muffins? I love hungry girl and I have not heard of the muffins.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I think I might need to try some of here recipes... maybe I will put her cook books on my birthday list.
  • shannonshock13
    Options
    I love Hungry Girl too! She does use quite a bit of processed food, which quite a few people complain about. That stuff can also get expensive. However, sometimes I just want to eat something like pizza or a burger and Hungry Girl recipes can really help making something that is a good compromise. It allows me to feel like I get to eat something that's not salad or "diet" food without completely blowing all my hard work to stay on track.

I really like the chicken pot pie: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/710
    The chili dog: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/437
    (I've never found that Boca meatless chili, so I use the 99% fat free vegetarian chili that comes in a can...and sometimes I put it on a plate, with a dab of greek yogurt or fat free sour cream)

In addition to the recipes, I've learned about a lot of great snack ideas & low fat products that are out there. More specifically which one's taste better than others.
    Breyer's No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream is my favorite diet ice cream and is freaking delicious with a a small glass of A&W Diet Root Beer.

Yea i am beginning to see that a lot of her recipes have processed foods and a whole lot of sodium! But I think they will be a great healthier option to keep me on track then going on and getting the real deal version of these foods.

maybe i can tweek some of them to have less sodium

Keep sharing your favorite recipes!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I hate how disorganized the website it, a functioning search feature would be excellent or at least categorize the recipes. Creating unique an odd names just makes the serarching process longer. Guess they do that deliberately to make you BUT the books.

Most of the ingredients are odd processed low-cal items that aren't even found through all of the states let alone Canada so it hasn't been much help to me. Plus its WW minded so very focused on like 6 pt desserts when you can eat an entire sandwich for that. It's a hard mind-set to escape but important to eat more food and desserts less often.

If you've found use in this website then good for you but I felt the need to point out some huge flaws.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You can always change up the recipes. That's what I do. Take out what you don't like or need and add what you do. Those 6 point desserts come in handy when you actually want a dessert not as a meal.

People have bashed her recipes because of all the processed foods she uses... just don't use those ingredients! It is that simple! Her recipes give me ideas ti make my own versions. Not only HG recipes, but every other recipe that I have used.
  • shannonshock13
    Options
    You can always change up the recipes. That's what I do. Take out what you don't like or need and add what you do. Those 6 point desserts come in handy when you actually want a dessert not as a meal.

People have bashed her recipes because of all the processed foods she uses... just don't use those ingredients! It is that simple! Her recipes give me ideas ti make my own versions. Not only HG recipes, but every other recipe that I have used.

Exactly!!!

I am in no way going to follow her recipes to a T but i will take from them since they all seem pretty quick and painless to make.

I do wish the site was a little more organized though, like the recipes were categorized into meal type or somethin.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    these are just 2 of my favorites:

love oatmeal and a LOT of it. here's her recipe for Ever Growing Oatmeal:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/rise-and-dine-growing-oatmeal-bowl-recipe

i'd never had broccoli slaw before, but i've had this 5 times over the last 2 weeks - LOVE IT! Broccoli Slaw and Order:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/pasta-la-vista-slaw-and-order-recipe
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I hate how disorganized the website it, a functioning search feature would be excellent or at least categorize the recipes. Creating unique an odd names just makes the serarching process longer. Guess they do that deliberately to make you BUT the books.

Most of the ingredients are odd processed low-cal items that aren't even found through all of the states let alone Canada so it hasn't been much help to me. Plus its WW minded so very focused on like 6 pt desserts when you can eat an entire sandwich for that. It's a hard mind-set to escape but important to eat more food and desserts less often.

If you've found use in this website then good for you but I felt the need to point out some huge flaws.
    I agree with this. I love some of her recipes but I hate looking on her webiste and don't have a lot of time to watch her show. ;(
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If you like HG..I would suggest that you fan her facebook page. She posts a LOT!! Almost too much!
  • tluttrell
    tluttrell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Too EZ Mac & Cheese.......Yummmmmm.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love the brownie muffins with devil's food and pumpkin! I am going to try the onion rings this Friday. I wanted burgers for dinner and couldn't decide what to have with it and then found that recipe. I am so excited to try them!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of Hungry Girl -before this post. Just checked out the site. It is disorganized, but I used some of the links provided here and plan on trying the slay & order this week.

Thanks!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    200 under 200 book is cool. My fave:

One avocado plus one can of young green peas (blenderize it up) plus all the salsa/seasonings as usual and you have a fine guacamole that you can eat the entire bowl!
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    What do you put in your muffins? I love hungry girl and I have not heard of the muffins.

its just cake mix and pumkin puree..very simple and easy

of all the cookbooks i've seen my favorite is 200 under 200 calories
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have the 1-2-3 cook book and love it, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get her new one too. She has a show on The cooking Channel now, It comes on Saturday's at 4pm est. I've got my dvr set to record it every week lol. i've tried a ton of her recipes and really haven't found any horrible ones. some that i probably won't fix again but they were edible. The most recent one I tried was from the cookbook called happy camper cheeseburger crumble (I can't find it on the site), it looked horrible but tasted great with some ketchup on top!
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    If you sign up for her emails, you will get one each day in your box. More often than not, they are recipes....sometimes they are new foods that are hitting the market. I learned about VitaTops from her and am very thankful! It's like a muffin top, but only has 100 calories of fiber. So, it's a snack that lasts and is awesome for chocolate cravings. I take a frozen "deep chocolate" one, slice it in half and put a blob of fat free cool whip in the middle. It's an amazing ice cream sandwich that's guilt free!

I also learned about dipping my carrot sticks in hummus from Hungry Girl. It never occurred to me to do that. It's really good.
    Also, smearing a Light Laughing Cow cheese wedge on a half of an apple. Yum!

I was going to add a fish stick soft taco recipe that I like, but can only seem to find a different one that's way more complicated.
    Yep, the website recipe search could use improvement.

Basically, it was 2 fish sticks with lettuce, tomato, and a bit of fat free sour cream (or fat free greek yogurt) on a LaToritila Factory low-carb, high fiber shell. They were great...sorry I can't find the stats.