Help - I suck at cooking chicken breasts!

Options

Replies

• kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    1st thing to do it thaw. Take them out a day a head of time, take out 2 or 3 if you eat them regularly.

For a quick thaw you can let them soak in water for about 30 minutes, that should be enough to thaw them.

For a quick cook this is what I do. Chop them into equal 1.5 inch cubes. Cook on one side in a bit of oil on medium/medium-high for about 5 minutes, flip for another 5 minutes. I usually flip them when you can see that they are almost cooked half way through. Season with spices or a sauce. Pesto works great, hot sauces, tex-mex spice too

Throw in some low sodium soy sauce and add left over brown rice, in 2 minutes you have chicken fried rice.

Or serve with a heftyporting of sauted/steamed vegetables.
  • sarakaufman
    sarakaufman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a George Foreman Grill.....it makes amazing chicken, vegetables, hamburgers, etc.....easy, fast, yummy!! It quickly sears the outside and keeps the inside nice & juicy.....tastes better than the regular grill :flowerforyou:
    So true I love mine and in thw witer its my best friend.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I cook my chicken breast straight from frozen, but I do it at 350 instead of the 400 or 450 that seems to be called for "on the box" lately. 350 gives it more time to completely thaw. I do end up usually cutting them in half (thickness wise) part way through the process but with the lower temp they aren't dried out when they're fully cooked.
  • haypartyof5
    Options
    It's difficult to cook it to temp when it starts frozen and it not be dry. You have to overcook the outside to get the inside fully cooked so it usually turns out dry. Fresh chicken breasts are good in the refrigerator for a week - I just keep them raw in baggies in the fridge - each seasoned differently. Good luck!!
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It may be because you are cooking from frozen. If I have frozen chicken, I thaw as much as possible in warm water before i have to cook it. A few ideas for having juicy tender chicken breast is to bake it covered with a little bit of water in the bottom of the pan. I usually season with whatever i am seasoning with and cook it that way and then uncover for the last few minutes to brown the top.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Are they boneless skinless? If so, that’s one strike against having juicy meat. The meat is much more flavorful (and less expensive) if left on the bone. If you cook them from frozen, they will cook unevenly. The thin parts will be dry and the thicker parts will already be dried out. The best method for tender breast meat is to brine them ahead of time and then season, grill, or roast.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I was going to say brine them first, but since they're frozen, they're probably pumped full of sodium already.

Okay this may be a stupid question, but because they're frozen they'd have more sodium than non-frozen breasts?
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The George Foreman type grills are the way to go. They make plenty that have removable plates for cleaning, some you can just pop the plates in the dishwasher.

You can do breasts from frozen, but chicken tenderloins (strips) are easier from a frozen state bacause of their size and thickness. Just put them in the grill for a couple of minutes to defrost the outside, then you can add seasonings. It will stick at that point because the outside is soft and wet, not hard and frozen. Just a few more minutes and you're done. While that's cooking you can get your salad or whatever together and you are ready to eat in about 15 minutes start to finish.

Shop the spice section and you'll find a huge variety of spice mixes that are appropriate. I like cajun, herbal mustard, onion/garlic, lemon pepper, rotiseriie chicken...there are a huge variety. If you watch sugar and salt, just read the label and see what's listed. There is enough variety out there that you can cook chicken this way 7 days a week and not repeat flavors. Or you could mix your own - for spicy, try red pepper and garlic in equal amounts, plus just a little salt.

Using the chicken strips, you can have chicken as a main component of the meal or toss 'em on top of a salad, wrap in a tortilla with veggies, put in a sub roll with lettuce and tomatoes, etc. Do a few extra and you have the beginnings of a healthy soup!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I was going to say brine them first, but since they're frozen, they're probably pumped full of sodium already.

Okay this may be a stupid question, but because they're frozen they'd have more sodium than non-frozen breasts?

Not a stupid question. Since I've started paying attention to labels, for some odd reason the frozen breasts always seem to have like 350+mg sodium per serving compared to the refrigerated ones which are around 75. And the frozen ones seem to always mention sodium-something-or-other in the ingredients. I'm not sure if that's the case every time, but worth peeking at the label.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If I remember right the Schwan's ones are individually wrapped. I get mine from Coscto like that now and toss them in a bowl of hot water, that thaws it pretty quick. Then when I grill it in a frying pan I add a bit of water and toss a lid on top of the pan. This more steams the meat to start with. Once the water is gone you can then brown up the outside. Slice it up and serve it with whatever sauce and sides you want.
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    ===================================================================================
    Not a stupid question. Since I've started paying attention to labels, for some odd reason the frozen breasts always seem to have like 350+mg sodium per serving compared to the refrigerated ones which are around 75. And the frozen ones seem to always mention sodium-something-or-other in the ingredients. I'm not sure if that's the case every time, but worth peeking at the label.
    ===================================================================================

So true. It depends on what you are buying. Meat counters get their stuff shipped in these days, rather than wrapping it there like the old days. So you possibly could get "natural" chicken breats frozen if you get there when they are stocking. Or you can certainly freeze them when you get home. It's not the freezing that adds the salt, it's what product you buy.

If you buy them in a bag, typically they will have a salt solution added. You will see things like "up to a 17% solution added for flavor" or some other phrase like that. Basically, they are just injecting them with salt water before freezing. Take a few minutes in the meat section and look at labels, comparing sodium levels and you'll be suprised. You will often see the same thing with frozen turkey, even the whole ones like you use for holiday dinners.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Please don't defrost any meat in warm water, it causes bacteria to grow. If you need to quick defrost, either use your defrost setting on the microwave, or put in a bowl in the sink and let the cold water run constantly, a small drip is fine. The best way is in the fridge over night, but definitely not in hot water.

Been doing it in warm water all my life, I'm not dead yet. :laugh: So I will keep doing it, I am aware it can cause bacteria to grow, but we are also talking a matter of minutes to defrost, nothing is growing THAT fast. If you left it out overnight I can see it, but the few minutes it takes makes the bacteria scare kind of pointless.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

So true. It depends on what you are buying. Meat counters get their stuff shipped in these days, rather than wrapping it there like the old days. So you possibly could get "natural" chicken breats frozen if you get there when they are stocking. Or you can certainly freeze them when you get home. It's not the freezing that adds the salt, it's what product you buy.

If you buy them in a bag, typically they will have a salt solution added. You will see things like "up to a 17% solution added for flavor" or some other phrase like that. Basically, they are just injecting them with salt water before freezing. Take a few minutes in the meat section and look at labels, comparing sodium levels and you'll be suprised. You will often see the same thing with frozen turkey, even the whole ones like you use for holiday dinners.

So good to know! Thanks!
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I buy my chiken breast whole and fresh. I cut the bones off and throw them into a pot and boil them into a stock for a soup. Then I freeze the breast I cut up. 12 breasts cost me 18 bucks that way.
  • blackbarbie68
    Options
    I found a great recipe on the Epicurious website that I've use several times for "Spiced Roast Chicken Breast" (here's the link: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spiced-Roast-Chicken-Breast-103314). You don't have to follow the recipe exactly, although doing the de-glazing will give you moist and tasty results. If you're not up for all the steps, just use the spice mix directions to season your chicken and simply grill or bake.

FYI, one of the secrets to not drying out a chicken breast is cooking it with the skin on, but not eating it.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I never buy the frozen value packs . I will purchase a large package from meat department and will then freeze the extras.

Cooking: three or four breasts
    Preheat oven to 350
    Rub with olive oil,
    Season with choice of spice
    small amount of water in bottom of pan
    cook for an hour. Internal temperature should be 160
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I always defrost my chicken breasts in the microwave and then either cover them and tin foil and roast them or else boil them. I prefer boiling as it always ends up juicy.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Wow - I never expected to get so many replies LOL!! Thank you so much for all the info and advice. It seems that the best option is to thaw them - whichever method works - either quickly in microwave or water or taking them out early. I'm going to try that for sure - it makes perfect sense. I stopped and found an awesome (I think) grill. I'ts not a George Foreman (none of that brand had removeable plates) - it's made by GE (same idea - just removable plates that will make it easier to clean). It looks super awesome and I can't wait to try it! All these tips are going to keep me busy for a long time with fresh ideas. Thanks so so much!!!!!
  • lurtle
    lurtle Posts: 9
    Options
    There are two problems here:
    1. When you cook them from frozen, you are having to overcook the outside to get the inside cooked (especially if you are leaving them in their original shape/size).
    2. You are leaving them in their original shape/size...

I would suggest pounding them with a meat mallet (which means you'll need to thaw them, of course!) or take a knife and 'butterfly' them (ie, cut them horizontally, making two or three thin pieces out of one thick one).

There really aren't too many ways that you can cook a chicken breast from frozen and have it turn out too juicy.

There is, of course, one BIG thing you can do to keep the juices in: cook at low temperatures. A lot of people cook chicken at high temperatures because they are afraid of salmonella. As long as you get a temperature inside the meat of 180 degrees, it is fine. Also, salmonella is pretty difficult to get these days.
    I always cook my chicken at 325-350, depending on what part it is. I will slow cook a whole chicken at 325, I will bake thighs at 350.

I've read your last response, it looks like you're going to try the suggestions given here...I'll still keep mine in there too! Good luck!
  • zaka123
    zaka123 Posts: 2
    Options
    I buy the individually wrapped 4oz chicken breasts from Schwans too. I always take mine straight from the freezer to the oven and bake on 475, I use a salt free garlic seasoning on them, spray some pam on the cookie sheet and cook for right at 27 minutes. They always turn out perfect, very tender and tasty. Not sure why yours are turning out so dry...how long do you cook them for? Maybe you are just over cooking them.