going grocery shopping today..HELP!

Options
This will be my first grocery excursion where I'll be buying healthy things.
I might need healthy things, but i also need to buy cheap..funds are a bit tight.
What does your grocery list consist of? I need a set list before i go in that place or else I'll go grocery crazy!!!

Replies

• nancymmorris
    Options
    Spinach, cabbage, carrots, cucmbers, tomatoes, avocados, chicken breasts, almonds, apples, grapefruit, clemintines, oatmeal, eggs, beans (all kinds), kens light honey mustard dressing.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    salad stuff
    fruit
    veg
    potatoes
    chicken breast
    yoghurts
    muller rice
    eggs
    liver
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruits and veggies are a pretty good alternative to fresh and are cheaper. Lean meats instead of lots of red meat.
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    A good general rule to try is to stick to the outside isles: fruits, vegtables, meats (careful here), dairy, etc...I find it helpful to go multiple times per week to try to buy fresh, healthy foods.
  • morinmom
    morinmom Posts: 17
    Options
    http://www.healthygrocerylist.com/ i found this website havent tried it yet but hope it helps you :wink:
  • taureanbeauty293
    taureanbeauty293 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try not go go shopping while hungry....for some reason oreos seem more appealing then :wink: Jokes aside, get a lot of fruits and vegetables, and lean meats like chicken. I usually get vegetables that can steam in the microwave, but most important is that you get foods that (1) you can prepare, so microwave meals if that's more convenient (2)snacks that have less sugar but ones you will eat- like 100 calorie packs, and (3) a lot of things you can grab on the go.
  • taureanbeauty293
    taureanbeauty293 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast, Oatmeal, grapes, carrots, bananas, peanut butter, bread, LEAN meat, celery.....that's all I can think of right now:)

My saving grace is that I actually don't like too much variety (recently discovered through eating better on this site).
    Breakfast-Quaker Oats Weight Control Variety
    Lunch- Peanut butter and banana sandwich or Campbells soup
    Snack- (2) Grapes and carrots or apples or cantelope
    Dinner- That is the meal that varies. Steamed veggies with grilled chicken, quesidillas, meat loaf, spaghetti, (I still eat these things-just WAY less than before-adding in a salad or veggies helps!)

Good luck to you!!!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I plan my families dinners base on what is in the house and I awlays try to have pasta, rice and frozen veggies on hand. I try to buy only one meat a week if I can. i.e. a fam pack of ground beef one week and family pack of chicken the next , frozen talapia filets the next so i alway shave all 3 in the in the house. Once you get this system going you will spend less. I I awlso buy steak and prok loins just not as often.

some of my fave cheep buys/ meals

bagel pizza's, whole wheat bagels, 8oz tomato sauce, moz cheese, turkey pepperoni and bell pepper. serves about 4 and cost about $10 but you will have left over pep, cheese and bell pepper for a salad

chicken or shrimp persto, whole wheat noodles, frozen shirmp/ 2 chicken breast, jar classico pesto feeds 3-4

Peanut butter..just measure it so you don't go over board.

greek yogurt...it's a litte pricery but the amount of protein makes it work it.

carrot, celery and other veggies that are whole, they are extra work but they are extra cheep.

if you have an Aldi in your area check it out you can get a lot of your staple for cheep nad the quality is good. I love their frozen shrimp 3:50 for a 12oz bag.

Good Luck
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I gotta feed my garbage disposal of a boyfriend too! Filling meals are what I'm lookin for!
    Those snacks are always good too :D
    Those bagel pizzas sound good
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    One thing you realize when you start to eat ONLY healthy food is that you seem to only shop the perimeter of the store. Truthfully the only isle I go down now is the baking one for spices and the cleaning isle. Every other item I purchase is from the perimeter, the produce, meat, dairy, and breads.
    The "usuals" we purchase are:
    chicken breasts
    ground turkey
    salmon or trout
    small steaks if they are on sale
    every veggy known to man, ha ha, cause I eat them all
    grapefruits, oranges, apples, strawberries, bananas
    Weight watchers multigrain or whole wheat bread
    oatmeal
    light cheese (for my husband as I cannot eat)
    1 % milk (unsweetened almond milk for me)
    eggs
    chick peas (or/ garbonzo beans) for my salads
    tuna