a low blow...

Options
Its funny - a couple of weeks ago jamerz wrote a message board how people at the gym are noticing a change. I got the exact opposite yesterday and it still stings. I've been on this site for about 3 weeks and the first week I lost 6 pounds but since then pounds have been creeping up. Yesterday was my official weigh in and I gained another pound. I was depressed but coworkers helped me out of it. They said I'm probably gaining muscle and that weighs more. She suggested I take my measurements and track my progress that way. So we did that after work and I felt better about myself.

Well I got to the gym and the front desk lady stopped me. She was like have you seen our personal trainer you get a free consultation. I said no. She said you might want to if you feel like you aren't getting results, if you don't see it working cause he'll know what to do. But she kept mentioning not getting results. It was a low blow. What a bad day to get that comment ... and yeah I should see the personal trainer. But it felt as though she has seen me coming for weeks and nothing has been happening. :sad:

Replies

• jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Its funny - a couple of weeks ago jamerz wrote a message board how people at the gym are noticing a change. I got the exact opposite yesterday and it still stings. I've been on this site for about 3 weeks and the first week I lost 6 pounds but since then pounds have been creeping up. Yesterday was my official weigh in and I gained another pound. I was depressed but coworkers helped me out of it. They said I'm probably gaining muscle and that weighs more. She suggested I take my measurements and track my progress that way. So we did that after work and I felt better about myself.

Well I got to the gym and the front desk lady stopped me. She was like have you seen our personal trainer you get a free consultation. I said no. She said you might want to if you feel like you aren't getting results, if you don't see it working cause he'll know what to do. But she kept mentioning not getting results. It was a low blow. What a bad day to get that comment ... and yeah I should see the personal trainer. But it felt as though she has seen me coming for weeks and nothing has been happening. :sad:
  • fit4fun
    fit4fun Posts: 84
    Options
    Think about it this way....she probably was told that morning when she started her shift that she needed to push their personal trainer programs...perhaps it's lacking lately with the economy and people not spending where they used to. It was magnified to you b/c you were feeling crappy, but I am sure it was not in any response to you progress. I do the same thing...sometimes we can really blow things up in our head, and let it frustrate ourselves. Keep a truckin' your body is changing even if the scale doesn't necessarily reflect that at this moment. Good Luck!
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry :cry:

Are you logging everthing? Are you weighing and/or measuring everything? It can really make a difference. My eye was much larger that actual amounts.:noway:

You can and will do it.

Remember 2 lbs a week is 52 lbs in 6 months or 104 lbs in a year :noway: I'm about 6 lbs short of this right now but hoping I can do much better this month and get caught up. I figure 3 extra lbs this month and next and I'll be back on schedule :wink: !
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Trust me, a receptionist at a desk is NOT going to notice whether you have or have not gotten results. fit4fun is right, she was probably told to really push the trainer on people. Think about it, have you ever worked retail? How many people did you see in a day? way to hard to keep em straight. I don't think it was anything personal. besides, you're down 3 pounds in 3 weeks. the weight that came back was probably water weight anyway. Took me a whole month to be where you are right now! SO be proud and stick with it! :flowerforyou:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    sbacon1203 makes a good point. I know when I start eyeballing my food amounts instead of measuring I'm usually way off base and have actually gone over my calories without even realizing it. Are you eating all your calories? If not, that could cause the scale to come to a standstill.

Also, are you consuming a lot of sodium? That causes a gain for me on the scale. I've found that there is sodium in almost EVERYTHING. Be sure to drink your water, which may help get things moving along again.

In any event, DON'T GIVE UP! Something good is bound to happen eventually!

Oh and don't mind that receptionist. Like someone said she probably was just trying to sell the personal trainer deal. How on earth could she tell if the gym was working out after only 3 weeks???
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    A while ago (I can't remember who, sorry) someone posted here that they once worked for (or knew somebody who worked for a gym.)

As part of their sales training they were told "if they're crying, they're buying". It was a deliberate attempt to make you feel bad about yourself so that you would spend money.

That being said, if you do get a free trainer session. . .use it! Trainers can be enormously helpful.

Chin up!:flowerforyou:
  • forcedbyangels
    Options
    Don't let anyone get you down. If you are working on it the hardest you can than forget the desk lady. What does she knows she only works the front desk! :wink:
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    Don't even worry about it -- the receptionist at my gym told "wow you look great! how long have you been coming in now?" AAAAAA one week ??? They are told to make you feel however they can to either keep your business or get more money out of you! I guess it was my turn to get the "we want to keep your business" message!lol:laugh:
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Don't even worry about it -- the receptionist at my gym told "wow you look great! how long have you been coming in now?" AAAAAA one week ??? They are told to make you feel however they can to either keep your business or get more money out of you! I guess it was my turn to get the "we want to keep your business" message!lol:laugh:

I prefer this message :happy: