business travelers - help!

Options
I started a new job 2 months ago and just went on my first 2 trips in the last 2 weeks. (that's alot of 2's..lol) in any case, while on the road, my eating went all to hell. I was able to get in some good workouts, but how do I find decent food? when I'm not on the road I'm working at home and that's such a more controlled environment. I'm gonna be traveling alot and don't want to gain a ton of weight like everyone else does. Help!

Replies

• vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I started a new job 2 months ago and just went on my first 2 trips in the last 2 weeks. (that's alot of 2's..lol) in any case, while on the road, my eating went all to hell. I was able to get in some good workouts, but how do I find decent food? when I'm not on the road I'm working at home and that's such a more controlled environment. I'm gonna be traveling alot and don't want to gain a ton of weight like everyone else does. Help!
  • timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, and finally stopped needing a seat belt extension recently.

I was the worst offender. I have always hated eating out alone so I would order room service at whatever time I got to my hotel, usually 9:00 at night. If it was later I'd hit a drive in window. I now carry powdered shake mixes with me all the time. Even when I am working in my home town I have them in my console. They are 200 calorie, 10-15 carbs and will keep you going for about 4 hours. Mix with water.

If am with a client and they want to bring sandwiches in I try to get a salad. If not, then turkey, no mayo, no cheese. If they bring pizza, eat one slice. If eating out it is always possible to order something that is less fattening. One year ago I would not have said this because I told myself that circumstances dictated bad eating habits and that it wasn't my fault. The truth is that you may not have a selection you want but you can choose items that are lower in calorie, fat, etc. if you commit to it.

Additionally, no one makes the best choice every time. I've had some pizza, BBQ, 1 or 2 pieces of fried chicken, chips, etc. since I began my new lifestyle 7 months ago but I don't let one bad choice derail me. Just know that one high calorie meal cannot be followed by another and another. Don't feel bad about the choice. Just forget about it and stay on track.

I plan to do this and pray for the strength to live this plan. I know that it won't be perfect.
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    you could try to keep meal replacement shakes with you and bottled water for those times when you can't stop and have a meal. When you do stop at a restaurant, try to order salads or just a meat and rice and veggies. STay away from meat prepared in a sauce. Plain grilled meat is best.

Good luck!
  • burb265
    Options
    I travel heavily for my job. I find out what amenities my room has when I book. If it has a microwave I pack good food that doesn't require refrigeration such as Healthy Request Steam and Eat meals, Thomas Light Whole Grain English Muffins or soup. If all the room has is a coffee pot I make oatmeal with the hot water. I bring splenda, both the white and brown sugar. If it has a microwave I find out the closest grocery store and shop when I get there. If you eat out at restaurants be very careful. If I know in advance where I'm going to eat I will check calorie counts on line. Often times the salads have 800 -1000 calories, so if in doubt stay with grilled chicken and a house salad. As far a workouts, fitness rooms vary at every hotel and often times the cardio equpment is busy. Worse case, I use the stairs to get a work out and do 100 push-ups, 100 crunches, and 100 lunges in my room.
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    I hear you. I got some tips from this thread that might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/25199-business-travel