Not calculating strength training calories burned

Options
I noticed when logging my daily exercise that it's only totaling my calories burned during cardio and not strength training. Is it not supposed to or does it somehow calculate it into the cardio calories? I mean, you burn more calories doing cardio AFTER strength training.... does it take that into account? lol. probably not.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• hskinner82
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I do a lot of strength training and feel that my calorie count isn't accurate because half of my workout isn't being accounted for.
  • 77LouLou
    77LouLou Posts: 75
    Options
    It doesn't calculate it...I dnt kno what they will say on this one..I will b watching.
  • lshart
    lshart Posts: 5
    Options
    It doesn't calculate it! It's so frustrating. My friend and I have been adding more time to cardiovascular to make up the calories. You definitely burn calories strength training but for some reason the system isn't set up to add that up.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Go to the Exercise section and under Cardiovascular click "Add Exercise" like you would enter your calories for Cardio. From there search for "Weight Training" and "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" will come up- enter the number of minutes you spent working out and it will calculate the calories. If you leave the search field blank and click on Search, a drop-down menu will appear with a whole list of activities you can enter for the day.

Of course, I have no clue what this calculation is based on or if the stats entered under your Strength Training are factored it, but at least it does give you something of a caloric credit for all your hard work.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I noticed that too, very strange. Sometimes makes me not want to do it at all.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't think it ever has for me. I've also been reading a lot more that says you actually burn more calories and stuff by not doing strength training first because your body needs to work more to get the muscles going.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Are you logging them separately? I think there can only be one category listed on your page but the total amounts under just that one. I did yard work/gardening one day and later also logged my calories for exercise and it added those calories to the gardening one.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM and log mine as circuit training and manually enter my calories burned from my HRM.
  • kelbel76
    kelbel76 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think it may have something to do with the fact that with sets and rests in between, you're not working for a continued period of time as it is with cardio.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see that I'm not only one. I thought I was doing something wrong. I think I will be looking into getting an HRM and calculate my caloric loss that way. I just like seeing the numbers up there.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I don't think it ever has for me. I've also been reading a lot more that says you actually burn more calories and stuff by not doing strength training first because your body needs to work more to get the muscles going.

@CuteandCurvy83, for the longest time I was focusing more on my cardio than I was strength training. Then not only did the trainer at my gym tell me that I needed to do all that cardio AFTER strength training but so did my family doc. Muscle burns more calories. I wish it weren't true! lol. Because a lot of times my muscles aren't up for all that cardio after strength training. As for getting it going, I've been told to only do 10 minutes of cardio to get your muscles warmed up. It's hard to know what's real sometimes because we hear so many different things from so many different people... so if you have something that works, stick to it and good luck!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Look into getting a heart rate monitor with chest strap. It will calculate the calories burned during strength training. Once you get one you can then create a new exercise by clicking exercise/my exercise/create new exercise and under cardiovascular enter in your calorie burned.