half marathon training

Options
I want to run a half marathon this fall, so I want to start training now. I can currently run 7 miles in 65 minutes but it is very difficult for me. Does anyone have advice on how to build up my endurance? I know I have to switch up my distances so I don't get burned out, but besides that I'm clueless.

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try my first one this fall too... after my first 10k in May! Honestly, google "half marathon training plans" and you will find tons of resources. Then read through them and see what looks like something you can do! If you have an iPhone, get the app called Runner's World Smartcoach. It gives you a personalized plan for up to 16 weeks before your target race. Just input a few pieces of data and it spits out the plan for you. That's what I'm using right now for the 10k and I'm loving it! Gives you target paces, days of speedwork training, how many miles to run each time... etc.

Good luck on your race!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    try the website cool running, their are some couch to 1/2 training there. Let me know, a 10K is no problem but I would like to push it to the 1/2 by fall also
  • 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am using Hal HIgdon.......he is a guru..............I am running/ walking my first one in June in vegas :)
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You're going to burn out if you start "training" now for a half in the fall. For now, just run. Build your weekly mileage slowly...no more than 10% per week increase, and running more often with less distance is preferred when starting out.

Here's a reasonable build up schedule for a new runner;

Mon - Off
    Tues - 2 miles
    Wed - 2 miles
    Thurs - Off/Cross train
    Fri - 3 miles
    Sat - Off/Cross train
    Sun - 5 miles

Total 12 miles for the week. The following week shoot for 13 total miles by increasing one of the 2 mile runs to a 3 mile, etc etc. More importantly, keep your runs aerobic...don't run fast. You should be able to speak a full sentence while running, and not gasping for air. If you are gasping, slow down a little or do run/walks; run 2 mins, walk 30 secs.
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Besides the others already listed, Hal Higdon has training plans for all races varying from beginner, intermediate, to advanced. Best of luck to you!
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    This is just wonderful thanks for all the information!I can't wait to get started!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I am using Hal HIgdon.......he is a guru..............I am running/ walking my first one in June in vegas :)

Me too :D
  • kristibluesky
    Options
    i work with a bunch of nurses who run marathons all the time and everyone swears by jeff galloway
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I am also planning my first half marathon in July - the Gold Coast Half Marathon. They post a training guide for beginners/intermediate and advanced. I can currently run 10km in 61 minutes. With this training plan, some days I do speed intervals to work up speed & endurance, and some days I do hill climbs for stamina. Both of these I find help with my overall speed for my "casual" runs other times in the week.

Check out the GC training guide (free to download but they want your email details): http://www.goldcoastmarathon.com.au/default.asp?PageID=19200
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    See if there's a running club or training group in your area. They're not nearly as intimidating as they sound, and the support is great. I'm training with the local running group for a half, the camaraderie makes the running that much more enjoyable.
  • irongirlfl04
    Options
    My race history includes full Ironman, 1/2 Ironman, and 2 - 1/2 marathons. I just did a 1/2 in Disney 2 weeks ago and it was amazing!

My thoughts:

1, Invest in a training program by Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon (http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm). I used Hal's training for the last 2 races.

2, MAKE SURE you have running shoes that fit your running stride and gate. Are you a pronator or supinator? I almost destroyed my knee in 2009 by running in expensive shoes that were not the right fit for me. Just because it cost $150 doesn't mean it is right for you.

3, Stretch stretch stretch and then stretch some more.

4, My final thought is to make sure you strength train! It is not all about the running. Strengthening your core, legs and joints will help avoid injury.

I personally love Vibram Fivefingers for running but not for eveyone. I hope this helps.

Good luck!
    Stefanie
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    Runnersworld.com has a smart coach that gives training programs based on recent race times. If you haven't built up your base mileage, they have a beginner running program. After you have a good base mileage down, give yourself at least 12 to 16 weeks of actual training. Some will say more but everyone is different. I've ran 3 half marathons this year, not necessarily fast but I ran finished. Just remember you don't have to run the whole time, take walk breaks and enjoy the fresh air and scenery. Best of luck!
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    I ran Boston Marathon last year in 4.5 hours. We had a coach and main thing we were told was train on cycles. For example sprint between 2 light posts, go slow between the other 2. Also, I would recommend strengthening your core is important. Get good shoes and to avoid blisters, put baby shampoo on your feet before you put socks on! Good Luck!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway is god :)
    Just google, galloway half marathon training program
    Good luck ... although I do agree with someone who said it might be a bit early to start training for a race in the fall!
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You really only need to work in one long run a week.