interesting article re women's fitness goals

Options

Replies

• MissKeeKee
    MissKeeKee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    One of my friends is a trainer and posted this on facebook earlier today... really opened my eyes to a lot of things.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    great info...thanks for sharing!!!!
  • ukjessi
    ukjessi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I bookmarked it so I can look for the rest of that series (parts 2-6).
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Awesome Article - thanks for sharing! I love this chick I want her to train me! I'm a perfect example of her first point, I keep saying to myself; once I reach my goal weight I'll work on building muscle. This really opened my eyes! x
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I know so many girls that are currently doing P90X as I am and have been, that are still afraid of "bulking" Some of them no matter what you tell them, will say they don't want to lift weights at all or don't want to lift heavy. I lift heavy and won't stop upping my weights anytime soon =] I love the combo of resistance days and cardio days.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    P90x is a good intro to resistance training for those "resistant" to traditional types for sure :)
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I actually love weight training, but every time I have done it I HAVE either stopped losing weight or gained weight. For example, six years ago, I lost 20 lbs in two months, on my own, just by watching what I was eating and doing moderate exercise (cardio). Then I got a personal trainer, and while I did get some pretty sexy abs, it took me another six months just to lose the next 10 lbs. I just started weight lifting again about a week ago, and immediately (within 2 days) gained back 2 of the 3 lbs I'd lost the previous two weeks.

However....

I know it's not directly because of the weight lifting- this woman knows what she's talking about. But my appetite gets out of control when I lift. I also think I get some water retention when I first start lifting which really discourages me from continuing. I'm not going to stop with the strength training, but I know that I am going to have to lock up my fridge, or do an extra 45 minutes of cardio to make up the extra calories I eat. It's easier for me to lose weight when I'm not lifting because I don't get ravenous just be doing 30-60 minutes of cardio, but for some reason when I do weights, I want to eat 2000+ calories a day (I only get 1200+ exercise), and I crave heavy food like red meat and pork (which I otherwise don't really want).

Luckily, my emerging biceps are giving me enough encouragement to keep up with the weight training even though my weight loss has had a minor (and hopefully temporary) setback. I know my weakness- I have to be extra vigilant about my nutrition.
  • chelseaa090
    chelseaa090 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Very good.

I had a lot of similar fears when I started my fitness program.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I actually love weight training, but every time I have done it I HAVE either stopped losing weight or gained weight. For example, six years ago, I lost 20 lbs in two months, on my own, just by watching what I was eating and doing moderate exercise (cardio). Then I got a personal trainer, and while I did get some pretty sexy abs, it took me another six months just to lose the next 10 lbs. I just started weight lifting again about a week ago, and immediately (within 2 days) gained back 2 of the 3 lbs I'd lost the previous two weeks.

However....

I know it's not directly because of the weight lifting- this woman knows what she's talking about. But my appetite gets out of control when I lift. I also think I get some water retention when I first start lifting which really discourages me from continuing. I'm not going to stop with the strength training, but I know that I am going to have to lock up my fridge, or do an extra 45 minutes of cardio to make up the extra calories I eat. It's easier for me to lose weight when I'm not lifting because I don't get ravenous just be doing 30-60 minutes of cardio, but for some reason when I do weights, I want to eat 2000+ calories a day (I only get 1200+ exercise), and I crave heavy food like red meat and pork (which I otherwise don't really want).

Luckily, my emerging biceps are giving me enough encouragement to keep up with the weight training even though my weight loss has had a minor (and hopefully temporary) setback. I know my weakness- I have to be extra vigilant about my nutrition.

Interesting you say that. I seem to get extra hungry after mega cardio sessions, not immediately though.

I figure on weights day, extra food is good anyway. Get those muscles growing :P I guess that is one of the principles of carb/calorie cycling.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in starting with weights, this helped! :) however does anyone have any good links to a beginners strength training workout? I kind of want to look like I know what I'm doing when I walk into the Den of Testosterone (my name for the weights area of my gym :p)
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I bookmarked it so I can look for the rest of that series (parts 2-6).
    ^5 So did I!
  • locomotion
    Options
    bump
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in starting with weights, this helped! :) however does anyone have any good links to a beginners strength training workout? I kind of want to look like I know what I'm doing when I walk into the Den of Testosterone (my name for the weights area of my gym :p)

I think Jillian Michaels - No More Trouble Zones is a good start for strength training... because like she says - you can use your own body (weight) as resistance
  • chrisdavey
    Options

www.startingstrength.com

BEST :)
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JaneP2011
    JaneP2011 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking - thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I enjoy strength training more than cardio actually - I prefer the machines, not free weights though.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Bumping this with another great article on women's fitness.

http://jcdfitness.com/2011/08/attention-women-heres-proof-that-lifting-heavy-weights-will-not-make-you-big-and-bulky/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+jcdfitness+(JCDFitness)

It's pretty long so if you want to skim at least look at the pics and vids of the heavy lifting ladies (that's probably what any guys reading this thread will do anyway :tongue:)

And I really feel weak after watching those vids!
  • weeze_h
    weeze_h Posts: 72
    Options

I know what you mean about the appetite - I'm currently on 1450cals per day plus all my exercise cals (between 300-500 per day) and the day after I strength train I'm constantly hungry! Absolutely starving! I always eat if I am genuinely hungry, and I'm trying to make sure I get a lot of protien both the meal after I lift and my lunch the next day.

I'm so pleased to find it's not just me that this happens to!