HELP! picky eater

Options
I am new to MFP, and i am hoping i have finally found something that is a good fit for me. I have tried numerous diets and plans. Eating healthy is extremely hard for me because i am picky and my husband is even pickier then i am. After a full day of work the last thing i want to do is go home and cook let alone cook two meals.

Does anybody have any tips, recipes, or ideas to help me solve this issue?

I have the hungry girl cook book and i went through it tonight and marked a hand full of pages that would be "okay" with my husband (minus all the veggies).

:)

Replies

• NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am on this food journey by myself...I cook 2 dinners...but what I do for myself is prepare most everything ahead of time...or use pre-cut stuff from the grocery store (lettuce, frozen diced green peppers, lots of frozen veggies)...there are ways to make it easier

you can pre-cook your meat on the weekend, put it into individual packages and freeze, then take out what you need in the morning, it will be almost thawed when you get home...heat and eat (almost easier than frozen dinners)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I refuse to cook a separate meal for my husband. I already have to make different foods for my toddlers, if my husband doesn't want what I'm cooking he makes his own dinner, and vice versa. If your husband doesn't want to eat what you make, let him make his own food. There's no reason you should be expected to cook two meals. When I first met my husband he wouldn't eat salads, but now he loves them. Basically, both you and your husband need to grow up and try new things. You don't have to like every kind of vegetable, but you have to like enough to keep yourselves healthy. Cooking for yourselves will also make you healthier since you are in control of what you eat. Cooking isn't all that time consuming or difficult, just do it. Pick on new vegetable to eat for a week and try a different recipe that uses it every day. That way you'll have enough varied exposure to it to truly decided whether or not you like it. And remember, it can take up to 10-12 times of trying a new food before you like it.
  • Superman1360
    Options
    Hello,
    I am in the same boat. I too am extremely picky. What I have done so far is to figure out what I like and what I don't. Then I look at what are the healthiest choices in that list. I find that I mostly eat high protein foods that are lean. Like Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts or Turkey. These help me stay full throughout the day, so I am not eating the "bad" stuff. I have also been eating a lot more oatmeal in the morning. I always hated oatmeal, but one day I tried the Kashi Vanilla oatmeal and it is very good, just as it comes, without having to add anything like brown sugar or cream. Plus it is only 150 cals. When I have time on the weekend, I cook up a bunch of boneless chicken, either baking on parchment paper in the oven, or grilling it. Then I weigh out 4 oz portions and bag them with my vacuum sealer. I put a few in the fridge for the next few days, and the others in the freezer. Then when I get home from work, I can make some Rice or a baked potato, microwave a bag of steam veggies, and microwave the chicken from the fridge. Dinner is done in a flash. To change things up, I use different spices for the chicken. I do some plain with just pepper (no salt), some with italian spices, some with a powdered buffalo seasoning, etc. Experiment with different spices and flavors to see what you like. It helps to keep things interesting, so you are not feeling like you are just eating plain chicken every night. It also lets you cut a lot of sodium out of your diet. I used to eat the prepackaged cut up grilled chicken, but so many of them are loaded with sodium.

The other thing I do is try to plan ahead some. Have at least a rough idea of what you would like to eat and make sure you have stuff with you. I had a Pizza party the other night for my scout group, so I put in the slices I planned to eat that night in the morning for my log, so I was seeing all day. It helped to remind me to make good choices throughout the day, since I knew I was going to allow myself something special that night.

My biggest hurdle is to get myself to eat more veggies and fruit, and seafood. I don't eat any seafood and very limited fruits and veggies. I have recently just started to eat Bananas, which I always hated. I just keep trying them a little at a time and over the last week, I have become more tolerable of them. They still are not my first choice, but I can eat them now without wanting to gag. This week I am going to work on Sweet Potatoes and Squash. Then maybe a berry of some sort the following week. Just keep trying! You have been programming your brain not to eat these foods for many years, it is not just going to be as easy as flipping a switch and you'll like all the healthy stuff. Some people (including my doctor) have said that "I just need to grow up and eat them". Well they are right, but it is not just going to happen because they said to. It is something that has to be done by committing to change your attitude about trying things. If you keep trying them, you are bound to like something or at least to be able to tolerate some new things in your diet.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi there,
    I use allrecipes.com it has a great amount of really good recipes and it also has the nutrition facts! It has reviews and a serving converter. Baked potatoes take 7 1/2 mins in the microwave and are only 50 calories!! I spray some pam on them and wrap them in wax paper. I also do a lot of cooking in my crock-pot, always a time saver. If you hate veggies try V8 slash, 50 calories for the regular and only 10 for the diet (made with splenda)!! This gives you your veggies but tastes like fruit!! hope this helps some!!
    Good luck!!
  • Rikkijean
    Rikkijean Posts: 21
    Options
    I myself am not a picky eater, I've been on a seefood diet most of my life (i see food i eat it) but my biggest problem was eating nothing all day then eating a huge meal at supper leaving me exhausted and ready for bed, wich everyone knows is the worst thing you can do. i've tried many diets depriving myself of things i enjoy eating and had no results, i'm no pro but so far what has worked for me on here is eat what you want just less and make it 3 meals a day with light snacks in between. if you are working out, always eat something like fruit or energy food about 45 minutes before so your body has the nutients to work with. however never eat mcdonalds its crazy bad for you...i learned that the hard way lol....either way no matter what you want to eat its fine just keep in mind the more you exercise the more you can eat. i'm sorry i was'nt more helpful
  • owlwomyn
    owlwomyn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    First, let me say WELCOME to MFP! Here are two quick, healthy meals you can try.

If you like salad with grilled chicken you can always grill up the chicken before hand and just add to a nice big mixed salad in the evening, For moister chicken I put skinless, boneless chicken breasts in the microwave, cover with low sodium chicken broth and cook through. Cut the breasts in thin strips when you are ready to serve over the salad. Add 1/4 cup of feta cheese or any low fat shredded cheese, a few croutons and you have a nice quick dinner! Oh, and I add black olives.

I also use my crock pot for turkey breast. Get a 4-5 lb. breast (bone in or out) I prefer bone in, season the meat with salt & pepper & thyme (optional) add one cut up onion, add 1/2 stick of butter and 2 cups of chicken broth or white wine (or one cup of each) Cook on low for 8 hrs. or 4 hrs. on high. When you get home you can make two small sweet potatoes or one large that you can split in the microwave. I also make a frozen veggie to go with it. Also the meat can be used for sandwiches during the week. You can put the turkey and all the ingredients in the pot and refrigerate the night before so it's ready to go in the morning. It's fairly quick and easy to prepare.

This is a great tool to use to help you on your weight loss journey. There are many supportive people here to help. You can add me as a friend if you like. I love MFP!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    the only way to help you is to tell you the truth, you know what you ate to get you and your hubby in the shape your in now, So you must do a 180 and eat somethings you mite not like or stay the same. Sorry if it sounds mean, you cant poor sugar on a brussel sprout and call it healthy :)
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I'm a former fruit and vegetable hater myself. It turned out though that I hated them because most of the fruits and veggies I had been served in my life were either over cooked, unseasoned, over grown or tasteless mush out of a can. I eat veggies now, but I'm extremely picky about the quality of my veggies and I hunt for vegetable recipes that actually taste good.

Here's what works for me: only buy veggies in small, fresh amounts or a few flash frozen ones. Same for fruit. Store fruit on the counter and eat only at the peak of ripeness. DO NOT refrigerate fruit - the cold ruins the texture and flavor. This goes double for tomatoes.

Two favorite recipes: Take asparagus spears. Chop off woody ends (the bottom). Cut into finger length sticks. Saute quickly in a very hot pan with a little bit of olive oil, chopped garlic, and salt. Cook no more than four minutes. Keep the pan moving and take off heat when the asparagus starts to look extra green and bright. Don't let it wilt. Serve with favorite pasta, pan fried chicken sausage, and a dash more extra virgin olive oil. Add cheese of your choice, if you like. This takes about 15 minutes max to make, including prep time and uses very few pots and pans.

Variation on above - use spring peas. Put them in the pasta water during the last 2 minutes of cooking if using fresh. (Make it 4 if using frozen peas.) Serve with cheese and quick sauted chicken breast or chicken sausage. Add italian spices, salt, and garlic to the meat while cooking.

If you don't like pasta try three things before writing it off. 1. Salt the water well - more than you think you need, before cooking the pasta. 2. Make sure the water comes to full rolling boil before adding the dry pasta. 3. Make sure you don't over cook the pasta. Most pasta is done in the minimum time allotted on the package. Taste a strand or piece a minute before the time goes off. Don't over cook pasta - it loses flavor and becomes gross and mushy.

Good luck - let us know how it goes. :)
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My spouse is also very picky; his two vegetables are potatoes and corn. He will occasionally eat an apple, applesauce loaded with sugar, or pineapple chunks with shredded coconut. Other than that, it's meat and carbs for him.

I do not cook two meals. I cook a meat-based entree, a starchy side, a vegetable and/or a fruit. I watch my portions, and eat his share of the veggies. For example, tonight we had hamburgers. I made them with very lean organic beef (Laura's ground sirloin), and I weighed mine before cooking to make sure the portion size was right. I actually made myself a 3-oz portion and gave him the extra meat (he likes that, and he doesn't have a weight problem). I made raw fries (home made potato chips) and a garden salad. I ate my burger (on a Pepperidge Farm deli flat, which I have just discovered), the salad and a very small (weighed on my kitchen scale) serving of the raw fries. He ate the burger and the fries. Our kids were given a serving of each, although my little one (who is suppose to maintain a higher than normal BMI because of some medication she takes) mostly ate the fries, sigh. And then wanted ice cream after, double sigh.

Pretty much every meal is similar to that.

One thing I *have* done is to add recipes that are healthier, and cook my less-healthy recipes less frequently. Time was I would make fried chicken one night, fried pork chops the next night and country fried steak the night after that. Now, I might make one of those things once a week, or every other week, and in between I'll make something that's not fried. I've not had any complaints about that strategy, just so there's a meat and a starch on the table.

Good luck with your finicky self and your finicky spouse! It's a tough thing to deal with, and I know there are a lot of folks hereabout who do cook multiple meals.
  • kmjackson3
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the recipes, advice, and positive feedback! With all of your help i was able to make a menu to try new foods for him and if he doesn't like the food, then there will be frozen pizza for him! I am going to try the recipes you have given me and also try some new ones from Hungry Girl!!. Once again thank you so much for the advice!!:smile: