What is your biggest food obstacle?

Options
kmalex
kmalex Posts: 39 Member
Hey!

So I am just wondering what everyones biggest food obstacles are? Are their things you can't live without, and how have you learned to cope with them while still losing weight?

My biggest one is ice cream! I love it and crave it whenever I tell myself I can't have it. So, I have learned to buy fat free, no sugar added, and skinny cow ice cream bars so that (while never good) they are better for me and have a pre-measured servings.

What is/are yours?

Replies

• deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Carbs. Period. Refined carbs can ruin my diet in seconds. But people keep encouraging me to give up all carbs - wheat, rice, potatoes, etc. I think it would help me lose, but I'm afraid to give up the good carbs, because I'll get to craving them, and give in to the refined ones. AAAHHHH!!!!
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Sodas - quit cold feet.
    Sweets - eat healthier options such as fruit, raw chocolate (yes, there is such a thing and it's AMAZING), dark chocolate
    Girl scout cookies - good thing they're only available once a year.

Key is moderation. :)
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Carbs. Period. Refined carbs can ruin my diet in seconds. But people keep encouraging me to give up all carbs - wheat, rice, potatoes, etc. I think it would help me lose, but I'm afraid to give up the good carbs, because I'll get to craving them, and give in to the refined ones. AAAHHHH!!!!

Good carbs are necessary, just make sure you don't overeat. No need to completely give up wheat, rice or potatoes.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My biggest food obstacle is Pastas...any kinds of noodles with sauce. When I do get the craving I use 1 cup of No Yolk noodles (98% fat free) and a 1/2 cup of whatever sauce I'd like. I make sure to not go over my calories though :)
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    mine is sodium. i have a salt tooth. god do i love salt n vinegar chips and limon chips and salt in general LOL but then there's also the mindless eating. just eating to eat and not cuz i'm hungry.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    ice cream… chocolate… peanut butter… pizza… pasta… cookies… popcorn… need i go on? shoot, now i'm hungry :[
  • cflexen
    cflexen Posts: 20
    Options
    CARBS!!!..MY FAV is BREAD!!!! I LOVE bread but it doesnt love me!!! LOL... I just try to have better types of bread..I buy the sara lee delights 45 cal.per siice (for sandwiches) and I also buy thomas light english muffins 100 cals. per muffin..and when I go to a restaurant I will have bread but only 1 piece/slice and I refrain from asking the server for more..(which I always used to do in the past)..I have tried no carb diets and I was soo miserable and unhappy which intern would make me give up on the "DIET" now I am no longer dieting but rahter eating what I want but in small portions...Thats the KEY!:wink:
  • Maxylicious
    Maxylicious Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    BAGELS! I am obsessed with bagels....and Sun Chips. I can eat a whole giant bag of those. FML..
  • Dutchgirly
    Dutchgirly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    you all are making me hungry!

i really like crazy huge hamburgers stuffed with bacon-- all that bar & grill good time food! AND BEER!
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    have you tried the skinny cow mint ice cream with the truffle chocolate around the outside? I seriously thought that one was creamier and nummier than regular mint ice cream....might have to get hubby to buy some when he goes to the store...
  • i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    BURGERS!
    I used to dream of them even, been a vegetarian for 2 weeks and haven't had ONE meat craving.

Nutella,
    god. that stuff is better than sleep. I miss it sooo much D: gave it up. Cold turkey, god, i could eat a whole jar of that stuff in a sitting.

Potatoes.
    I know they are good in moderation, but I'm giving them up for a month. I'm a bit of a fry addict so this definitly cut down my sodium intake :)
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    my biggest obstacle is meat. oh how I love meat, but it makes me sick now. one serving once, a day if that. the more meat I eat the less I can eat. more carbs more calories.

trading meat and potatoes for bread and cheese is a bit of an adjustment.
  • amyd03
    amyd03 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Eating fast food. We are always on the run with my kids we eat out every night. Even though I am losing I still want to stop eating it.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I didn't really ever think sugar was a trigger food for me until recently. I still try to allow for some in some form every day to every other day, especially if it's just a little bit of dark chocolate. This would be perfectly fine and acceptable if it didn't trigger such bad cravings in me.

I've done without sugar for long periods of time in my life before (several months at a time) and sometimes I think I just need to get to that point again. I'm not sure if the theory of allowing myself a little bit so I don't go on a crazy binge is actually working for me. It just seems to make me want it more.
  • simplyxaddicted
    simplyxaddicted Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Mine would have to be bread... I have to have some everyday... Bread is the devil lol
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    sweeTs and potato chips
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Hey!

So I am just wondering what everyones biggest food obstacles are? Are their things you can't live without, and how have you learned to cope with them while still losing weight?

My biggest one is ice cream! I love it and crave it whenever I tell myself I can't have it. So, I have learned to buy fat free, no sugar added, and skinny cow ice cream bars so that (while never good) they are better for me and have a pre-measured servings.

What is/are yours?

Bread (dinner rolls in particular) - I just can't live without it. If I cut this out entirely I will not stay on track. So I just plan ahead to have 1 90 calorie dinner roll with dinner most nights of the week. If I have a sandwich during the day for lunch I do not eat the sandwich roll anymore.

Pizza - I haven't given this up completely but I do not have it often anymore. I used to eat it at least once a week and now I have it maybe once every 4-6 weeks. As long as I know in my mind that I can have it again at some point in the future I won't crave it too much.

Burgers - I used to eat a burger every week but once I realized how many calories are in them I just stopped all together. I haven't had one in 3 months! I'm sure I will at some point this summer but for now I'm quite content without them.

Cheese Steak Subs - This used to be a favorite lunch item and now it is completely gone from my diet. I'm betting that if I were to have one right now it would not be as good as I used to think. Overly fatty foods just don't taste right anymore.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Starchy refined sweet carbs!
    If I'm not getting enough from fruit(which is also a carb),I start to crave pancakes,biscuits,cakes and all sorts,
    which drives me insane(since I am in no position to moderate them yet,I just devour them),I usually curb this with some bananas or if I'm bored of them bread,of the seeded variety only.
  • octoberschilde
    Options
    Wine. I could have a glass of wine every night after work. Now I'm just having some on the weekend. And not buying any during the week. If it's not in the house I can't drink it. So hard though. I love it!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Eating out: I hate making the "healthy choice" when what I really want is something covered in sauce with buttery mash potatoes, I am making the healthy choice at the minute but I am intending on compensating the naughty foods with A LOT of exercise when I've eaten out once I'm at my target.
    If there isn't a healthy choice at the minute (eating out at a friends etc) Im burning the calories before hand, I burned 1300 before dinner on saturday, it seemed to work.