Single parents- Working mothers** Help

Options
Okay my diets and eating habit fail cause i'm always on the go and when i get home i'm beat. So now i have two kids and it is that much more hard for me. But i know i can do it. I have a 18month old and a 10 yr old. I work from 8 to 4:30 but i get up every morning at 6am and leave the house around 6:45 to take my son to daycare then a 25min dr to work and i get to work about 10 min before 8am. Then i work and i do have a sit down customer service job and i get off at 4:30 but sometimes i work over to make up hours if i miss work for dr. appt. When i get home it is 5:10 then my baby daddy brings our son home and i cook and help with home work and we eat around 6:30 or 7 and thats the fastest i can make dinner. Then by that time it is time to get them ready for bed at 9. I have no time in between to go to the gym but i want to do this. I just join the YMCA and i want to do this. So tellme busy parents with kids and managing to do the gym. How do you do it?

Replies

• mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Can you get up a little earlier and get your workout in first - before you start your day? I am a single Mom and when my daughter was little, I got up at 5:00, turned on the radio (no iPods then) and jogged back and forth in my kitchen for 20-30 minutes. Now of course, there are many, many great workout DVDs on the market that you could do at home in the mornings.

As to your diet and eating - what about making dinners and your lunches ahead? Pre-make tomorrow's dinner tonight and stick in the fridge, then just reheat tomorrow. I make all of my lunches and snacks for work the night before and put them in the frig. Then in the morning, I just pop them in my cooler and I"m out the door.
  • traceytoo
    traceytoo Posts: 163
    Options
    I don't go to the gym .. quick mile run, takes 20 minutes or a Jillian Michaels DVD 20 minutes, if you did the JM DVD everyday and a run 2/3 times a week, that would be enough ... wot's 20 minutes ??

you can do it ...
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    1st I try to make "double" meals on my day off. That way I can just heat up a healthy meal when I work, because the last thing I wanna do after 10hrs at work is cook! Then my whole family knows I go to the gym M, W, F NO matter what. Some days I just wannna go to sleep but I drag my tired butt anyway. I also take my kids. They love the daycare at the gym and if I don't feel like going they start asking...almost crying if they don't get to go. My day today will look like this. Up at 520am make lunches get ready work at 7am....off at 530pm home by 6....dinner heated up and eating by 630....and rest/clean/home work till 730 then its off to the gym for us...home and kids in bed by 9. Time with hubby and computer/tv till I can't keep my eyes open and bed by 10. Busy but it works for me.
  • lisaloo85
    lisaloo85 Posts: 81
    Options
    I work 10.5 hours a day 5 days a week. I have to get up at 5 am to be get me, my 1 year old and husband ready by 6:30 when I have to leave for work. I don't think I would ever have time for the gym but I did find that it is much easier to get some workout equipment at home (i bought an elliptical used froms craigslist and some dumbells) or I will work out to a video (i love netflix fo this) and work out after my son goes to bed. I don't know about you but that is the only way i can do it. I know that getting up any earlier in the morning certainly wouldn't work for me :laugh: I just hope you can figure the best time for you! Good luck!
  • inittowinit77
    Options
    I have a similar schedule with things but I try to make the most of the weekends as far as physical activity goes. I also plan my meals the night before so I know what I am eating the next day. Helps keep me focused. Lunch breaks i use for walking outside or I do exercises at my desk (I keep weights under my desk). Any way that can throw in a little extra, I try. Best of luck!
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I am with you. I am a single mom, work fulltime and I am a pt masters student. Is it possible that you can get up earlier and work out with a DVD. Alot of people are doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and are having great results. You can get it at Wal-mart for 10.00. Is it possible that you can prepare your meals on Sunday? That way all you would have to do is warm the food up and it would free up a little more time in the evenings? Can your childs father keep him a little longer in the evenings so you could go to the gym right after you get off work? What about your lunch breaks at work mayb you could squeeze in a work out then. I hope it works out for you!
  • marianeo
    marianeo Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat! I work incredibly long hours, and have an 7 year old daughter. I'm up at 5.30am and can leave the office anything up to 7pm, then there is the work I still have to finish off at home (I know...what happened to work life balance!!!). I was not getting to gym, but then again, there was a lot of things I wasn't getting to. I decided that I could not burn the candle at both ends, so instead of being in the office for 8, I made the choice to be in at 8.30. I bought a step machine, so now I can roll out of bed, and straight into excercise, and I get to spend some QT with my daughter in the mornings! I have tried actually going to a gym, but life usually takes over, and I end up spending the money on membership but never setting foot in the place. This way, I at least get some time in during the week!
  • neuroticalme
    neuroticalme Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As soon as you figure that out, let me know! :)
    LOL.

I've just worked out a deal with my 10 year old to do his morning routine by himself while I take the dog for a walk and his sister is still asleep. However, she is 4, so it's quite a bit different.

Gym time on a schedule like yours is rough. You may only get to go in once or twice a week, depending on visitation with the other parent, but hey, that's once or twice a week you weren't going before.
    Taking it in pieces that fit into, and change your overall daily lifestyle with the kids is a better way to insure that you'll stick with it. It'll just become the way your family works.

Maybe at this time all you can focus on is eating/cooking healthy, maybe going for after-dinner walks or somesuch. Either way, if you put your thoughts into nutrition, results will follow on that route too, and you'll be feeling a heckuva lot better when you do have some alone time to workout.

Good luck!
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Crockpot! I love having easy crockpot recipes. I can throw them in in the morning and by the time I get home it's ready. This weekend I made french dip. We had venison steak/roast in the freezer so I threw that in with dried onion soup, added a can of water, can of beef broth, and half a bottle of beer. The meat is super lean but very tasty. We had green beans and potatoes for a side. Simple and healthy.

I plan my meals for the week and then will prepare - chop, cut, wash - anything that I will need to for the week. So green peppers, grapes, onions everything gets done Sunday afternoon. I also have my kids help - they are 4 and 2 yrs old. No - of course they can't chop anything! But they can wash grapes, I put them in a salad spinner and the girls can use that. Same for carrots. They can also do some dishes and love it!

Also remember spaghetti is a great any night meal. Use multigrain pasta with a light sauce add some protein like chicken with a side salad and you have a great nummy meal.

You will figure things out. It took a lot of planning for me to get things to be easier. I am a mom, wife, work full time and a full time student on the weekends. You CAN do this.
  • las9807
    las9807 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeah the thing that is going to help you is getting up at 5am to workout. Trust me it is challenging but you can do it if you want to and after you do it you will feel that much better when you are goin to work and being with your kids. I am a single mother as well and that is what I have to do. Better yet, involve the kids, afterschool or when you get home get a workout DVD and let the kids watch you do it. They will join in and it can be family time. You may have to use sunday evenings to cook or plan means thru the week that will be easier for you. But it can be done. My father had a heart attack on sunday and it has put a new fire under me! No matter how things are going it has got to happen. Maybe "babydaddy" can watch the baby for 30mins - 1hr longer so you can get a workout in at home...maybe? If not you make it happen for those babies... they need you! Stay Encouraged!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I am not a single mom and I am not as busy as you but I do have some time saver tips!

cassaroles - make a double batch and freeze 1/2 that way you can do a work out video while dinner is in the oven. Same goes for baking a chicken 10 min prep with some lemon and rosemary and in then oven..20 min work out dvd's make some side and dinner is ready. I love Jillian Michael's 30 day shred fro a qucik 20 min work out.

Try taking a 10-15 min walk at the beginning of your lunch break to burn a few extra calories.

For snacks on the go I love fiber now bars (generic for fiber one), clemintines and 100 cal natural nut packets.

Good Luck with your weightloss! and remember taking care of you is part of being the super mom that you are :happy:
  • mandy_marie
    mandy_marie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a one year old and work full time too...I leave my house by 7:15 am and get home by 5:45pm, I had the same problem until I just figured that an investment in an elliptial or any type of workout equiptment you like to use and a couple of workout DVDs, few weights is cheaper in the long run and I dont have to take the time to drive to the gym and it wont take to much time of the little time I get to spend with my little girl...I will work out on the weekends and everyother day in the morning during the week....I will wake up at 5 am instead of 5:45am that way i get it in take a shower before she is awake....also I plan my meals thoughout the week...make a little extra for next days lunch, that way you have time for cooking dinner and anything else before bedtime.

Hope something helps!!
  • shawana4
    shawana4 Posts: 49
    Options
    Wow ladies thanks for all the tips and support. This is the reason i love this site. I made time before when i had one child but its just a little harder with two. The bad thing is my aby daddy is living with me and yes he helps out but he works a second job so he brings my son home and then off to his second job. But the YMCA has a child daycare and i can work this out. It will be hard but i can do it. I just got to get a routine and stick to it. My baby daddy is not a routine type person and i will have to kick his *kitten* in to swing. lol
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Try freezing fresh meals and cooking them later, and I dont go to a gym either, I have 4 kids and I just bought a stationary bike and some weights along with some dvds....I found that first I needed to get my diet under control, (it was waaay worse than I thought it was) so for the first 5 or 6 days, I got my calories under control, then I added cardio, which I am currently doing. Ive been doing that for about 2 weeks. I plan to add the DVD in a week or two, Im just doing it at my own pace. Its a lifestyle change, not a "get skinny quick scheme." Good luck on your weight loss journey, I think you have found the right place. Most everyone here is helpful and you can get a lot of good ideas here. Welcome....:flowerforyou:
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you can get up early to exercise, it can actually be 3 times as benificial as you will be training after "fasting". Your body will tap into Fat reserves as opposed to later in the day when it will utilise energy consumed.
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I started getting up just a 40 min earlier to excersise and plan out dinner...I use my crockpot ALOT also if were having something like spagetti, hamburger help or taco's I go ahead and cook the meat and make or cut up veggies for the salad while getting the kids breakfast then that is just a few steps closer to being done at night! I also try to walk for atleast 30 min a night! It is hard at first to get into this routine but after about a week you'll feel so much better!!! I have a 14 10 and 6 year old...
  • TRACYW2002
    TRACYW2002 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old and an 8 year old. I have them go on a walk with me. I have my 2 year old in the stroller and my 8 year old walks with me. I can't go too far but it works out good for all of us to get some exercise. Sometimes I sneek out by myself when I can to run. We also have the kinect that is a quick and fun workout for all of us. I like Dance Central on the Kinect. The crock pot is an easy way to have dinner ready. Hope this helps some, good luck!

496142.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    hi, i really feel for you. i work the same schedule, 8-4:30 and it's a desk job too. i am married but my husband has to be to work at 5 so he is out the door as soon as i come home and then gets home around 11. afternoons/evenings are so busy. my kids are 10 months and 3.5 years old and they are a little bit wild. lol. as all kids are i'm sure ;)
    anyway, i saved up and bought a $200 stationary bike. i know that to get a really good bike or elliptical, it costs so much more but mine has done just fine for me so far. hopefully it will hang in there. after i get the kids to bed and clean up a bit it's about 8:30, so they do go to bed earlier than yours, i ride the bike for about 30-40 minutes while i watch tv. now that the weather is nice, we can go for walks on the weekend, i pull them both in their wagon to the park which is about 20 minutes there and 20 minutes back home. it's too hard to do that in the evenings though because there is too much to do. but i guess if i could just start squeezing in 15 minute walks that would really add up!
    i started keeping track of what i eat on mfp and riding my stationary bike about 3 weeks ago and i have lost 5 lbs. you can do it!!!! good luck!!!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    i would prefer to exercise in the morning but it would wake my 3 year old up. he's always up as soon as i am ;)
  • am_last10lbs
    am_last10lbs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just my son (3.5 year old) and I and I work everyday from 7:15 - 5:15. I get a workout in everyday. When I make dinners, I am making enough for 6 meals, placing 4 meals in little individual tins and then freezing them. During my lunch I try to get a walk in and also take advantage of a program that our YMCA has called MiniY, a gym and swim class that is 90 mins long for my son so that I can hit the gym myself.

I know that as a single-mom we already have a ton of guilt and try to spend the most time with your children, but you also need to make sure that you are taking care of you, as the main caregiver for your family.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!