Going over sugar limit - fruit!

Options
Lewzy
Lewzy Posts: 54 Member
I eat a lot of fruit (well, around 4-5 a day, but it's a lot since I used to eat literally none at all!) and because of it, I'm going over the sugar limit MFP sets me every single day. I was wondering why I was going over it considering I don't really eat anything sugary (I don't even remember the last chocolate/sweets I had...) but when I checked the content of my foods, I was surprised at how much sugar is in the fruit I'm eating. Is it ok to go over the sugar limit daily when you're getting the sugar from fruit?

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    as long as you dont go over the cals its fine!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to the sugar from fruit. In fact, I changed my diary settings so I don't even have to look at the sugar intake! =)

Remember: the fiber content in fruit offsets the sugar content.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eating fruit is good, but you don't want to eat too much. Try switching a couple of those servings of fruits for vegetables. You'll get less sugar and will get more vitamins and minerals. But as far as the sugar goes, you really only need to count refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Natural sugar is a little different, it's better for your body and doesn't cause the high blood sugar spikes that refined sugars do.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    I always worry about this, too... I'm NEVER under my sugars because of this! ...and I hate seeing red :grumble:
  • KatyG0409
    KatyG0409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I always go over my sugar with fruit too. It is the largest part of my sugar intake, in fact. I ignore it because I am always right on target everywhere else. Better I get that sugar from fruit than from processed foods or sweets.
  • kitchentales
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. Just remember that you could be getting that sugar from ice cream, or a chocolate bar or something. If the sugar comes from fruits or vegetables, I don't pay it too much attention.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I wondered this as well. I am glad you posted this. I am going to keep eating fruit. I don't eat too much of it and it is good for me.
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    I have a lot of diabetes in my family tree, so I keep a close eye on it, but when I go over, I take a look at where the sugar comes from for the day, and take that into account - Unless you have a reason to be concerned about your blood sugar levels, I would really focus on the added sugars in things (cereal, pasta sauces, other processed items). I did try to replace some of the fruit in my diet with fresh veggies, though, and that made a difference (celery instead of apples with my peanut butter for example)
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Take the sugar off your settings!!!!! I have: Calories, Carbs, Protein, Fat, Fibre and Sodium set up on mine. The way it measures fruit pi$$es me off :D
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've just stopped watching sugar too... even though I knew fruit from sugar was OK I found I had started to eat less and less fruit (not always making good choiced either!).

So now I'm ignoring sugar – I know where it is and I avoid sugary products but will always eat fruit :o)
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have problems w/my blood sugar so I have had to watch my fruit intake. You can also check out how much sugar is in each fruit and adjust accordingly each day. For example strawberries and plums don't have very much sugar per serving, so on a day you are eating a banana (high sugar) you could throw in a low sugar fruit like strawberries later in the day.

Good luck!