Fitness Evaluation = Most Embarasing Moment!

Options
So my hubby and I signed up for Lifestyle Fitness last weekend and we have been twice since (not bad for four days into it!) and I signed up for my free fitness evaluation which I will be doing tomorrow - where they go over what your goals are and then go through the gym with you and show you how to do different exercises on the equipment... you know the drill.

I DON'T WANT TO GO!!!! :sad:

I have seen others going through the regiment and I just envision myself doing it infront of everyone there at the gym and making a complete fool out of myself!

What are the words of encouragement that you can come up with?! Would you do it?! I want to gain the benefits from the machines there (they say that 50% of your workout should be strength training), but don't want to be the laughing stock of the town for the next 3 months!

:laugh: = :sad: = :blushing: = :explode:

Replies

• bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I bit of tough love, lol, hope that's okay, but you seriously have to just get over it. Everyone has to learn the equipment sometime and there are many who don't know how to use it. You're not the only one.

The payoff is priceless. You will know the equipment and be able to use a valuable resource for your fitness goals.

There was a time when I couldn't tell you which way to sit/lay on a weight machine and now I know exactly how to set the height levels for the seats, legs, belts and know exactly where I'm at on my lifting capabilities. It is very worth the small learning curve, so GO DO IT!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you're not sure how to use a piece of equipment, just tell the trainer. Say to him/her... I'm not really sure how to do this, can you guide me please? And then take it slow. Remember, you start with baby steps.
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    who cares what anyone else thinks. You are there for you. Just focus on learing as much as you can, Im sure you will be fine.
  • MTLumps
    MTLumps Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like the tough love reply - we all need that sometime! I read a post from someone recently that said they finally came to the conclusion that most folks at the gym are so busy thinking the same thing you are that they aren't paying as much attention to you as you think! :bigsmile: So, get in there and do it, knowing that you will prevent injuries and feel comfortable using all the equipment going forward. =)
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you're not sure how to use a piece of equipment, just tell the trainer. Say to him/her... I'm not really sure how to do this, can you guide me please? And then take it slow. Remember, you start with baby steps.

Ditto this! Besides, who cares what others think. You're going to make a healthier you!
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When I went to the Y last year it was after 8 yrs of being away from the gym. I felt like an overweight slob next to the toned skinny people who live there. Then I thought...hey, they should admire that I am making the effort. I am here for me...to help me. Who cares what they think. You know what? I barely notice others around me when I work out now that I'm comfortable there. I bet most people won't notice you either. But if you are that uncomfortable, call them and tell them that and ask what the least crowded time of day/week is and try to schedule for then. Most of all, don't let it keep you from your goal!
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    They offer that at my gym. Me to, NO WAY!!! I just grabbed a trainer & asked him "what machines work ___________ part of my body" And they showed me how. Afer a few days I ask again about another part & they show me. That way I can get their input & I learn all the machines. I'm up to 15 machines & the trainers are all very nice about it
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You must live in a very small town. I see people do the intro everyday. I don't really pay attention to them. I went through it. I never see the people again. My gym is so big and so many people go to it everyone just blends in.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Who care what anyone else thinks!!! You're doing this for you, and chances are that unless they were born with the knowledge of how to use every machine or do every exercise, they were once in your shoes!! I was, heck i still don't know how to work a few of the machines but if i ever want to use them you better believe i'll go ask someone!!

I remember the first time i wanted to use the assisted pull up machine..... i had no idea what i was doing and i asked a trainer and they explained it and i went over and fiddled around with it for a good 5 minutes before i found the setting that was good for me.... hahaha

You got this girly!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing, only it took me until this past December to join a gym, after I had already lost 65 pounds on my own. So the fitness evaluation wasn't too bad, but it was strange working out in front of people! Usually I'm in my living alone with the curtains closed. But I got used to it and now I don't care what I look like when I workout. Everyone else is a sweaty mess too (or at least they should be, it's why we go to the gym).

So just try your best to focus on yourself and not everyone else. We don't look over from our treadmills and think "ugh, look at that woman, she's having trouble with something" or "wow, I can run faster than you". I look at people and think, wow, they're really trying, it's admirable.
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    Just ease into it and go at your pace. As another said, ask the trainer if you don't know how to use equipment. I had to do that for the weights before, while you may be embaressed, don't be afraid to ask for tips. The trainer that showed me gave me some great tips and motivation for using the equipment. Good luck! You can do it!
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was super excited when I got mine. I watched these people go through it for a week before it was my turn. I felt a lot more confident when I worked out, knowing I was doing it right, no matter how stupid I looked to other people. I actually noticed a lot of people using thing wrong and would help them out. Do sweat it! =P
  • Angela1303
    Angela1303 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I done it, when i was just starting the gym and honestly its not that bad!!
    It gave me a good look @ my own fitness levels which were Crap!! And i got to know the instructor, got a gym routine and it motivated me into doing something about it!!
    x
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I very much doubt that you are the fattest/unfittest person they have ever seen! When I went in for my induction 8 weeks ago I'm sure they thought I was just another post Christmas fatty who would last 2 weeks ( which to be fair, I was last time I joined). But I'm still there and the trainers can see the difference so you do gain a sense of " haha, you wre so wrong about me"
  • xxtc79xx
    xxtc79xx Posts: 15
    Options
    I did exactly what you scared of. I met the guy, who was about 8yrs younger then me and totally cute. I was so embarassed. Here I was this fat girl sweating and complaining I couldn't do it. I was oober embarassed. But I pushed through and even went back for a second time. I had to remember I'm doing this for me. for a long time I went to the gym and hid in the womens only section. I didnt want ppl to see my wobbly parts. Now I just go and do my thing. One day at a time. Remember your worth it and who cares what others think.:bigsmile:
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you don't know how to use the equipment, you aren't going to use it! End of Story!!

GO TO THE APPOINTMENT, learn how to use the machines, make them your friends and figure out how to work them for all they are worth. Everyone had to learn how to use them to begin with.

Besides, after working out for a while a good NSV (non scale victory!) is to see you increase in either weight on the machine or reps. Such as: I used to only be able to lift 20 pounds, but now I am easily lifting 30, etc!
  • MyViolet
    MyViolet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    DO IT! Everyone had to learn at some point. Do not let your fear stop you from getting to your goal. I know what you mean though, it is tough to be the new person but now I am very comfortable and have tried the new equipment too :)

If they laugh now you can laugh at them when you are all toned and at your goal weight!
  • AshleyR84
    Options
    As someone that performs fitness assessments at the Y, I have to say congratulations for taking the next step in creating a healthier you!! It's tough, I know, and you are not alone. Many other people feel the same exact way you do. But I agree with the other comments above. You will have a greater understanding of how to use the equipment properly so that you get a better workout and see the results that you want to achieve. I see people get on the machines all the time that have no idea what they are doing. Believe me, they stand out MUCH more than the ones that have been through an orientation on the machines. Not only will you know how to set the machine up properly for you, but you will also know what to do with them. I also come across many people that think they know what they are doing and how to achieve the results they want, but in fact, they were wrong, or had dated information.

So ignore everyone else! (They are probably thinking the same thing you are too, they are just scared to make an appointment for themselves) The knowledge you gain will only help you! You might even inspire someone else to make that change for themselves too!
  • EmmySharpe
    Options
    I used to HATE going to the gym, I was always so worried what other people thought. I'm at in a point in my life where I dont care what other people think lol. If they dont like it, they dont have to look! And there is no way they can laugh or tease you, because youre there! youre doing something about your weight. You know theres a problem and youre fixing it, if anything they should all be encouraging you. I also agree with "tough love", honestly, most people at the gym could give a flying fig what you are doing, they are there for themselves and going to be focusing on themselves.

Another point: I see way to thin girls at the gym lifting .5 or 1lb weights, not because they are trying to become stronger or build muscle, but because they want to burn the few calories they ate that day and continue looking anorexic. Noones body is naturally perfect, but if you just work to become stronger and healthier, not just super skinny (though a slimmer you should come with healthier and stronger), you will be much happier about yourself and your body.

Now is the time in your life to focus on YOU! So if ANYONE gives you a hard time (other than maybe a trainer :p) well: SCREW 'EM! I say good job, stay strong, and good luck!!
  • KristaPFT
    KristaPFT Posts: 63
    Options
    Coming from both ends of the spectrum, honestly most people are not judging you in that way. Everyone is at the gym for an ultimate goal...to get or stay fit. People will either look at you and say "good for her, she is doing something to better herself" or "I wish I had the guts to do that" and if neither then they prob aren't even paying attention because they are doing their own thing. I don't workout at the gym because I like my own space....but when I did, I thought the same thing as you and its really just a mind game. Its not as bad as you think... promise :wink: