PET SURVEY

Options
Ok so I am severely bored and lets not forget to mention completely lonely... so everyone keeps telling me to get a pet...but what the heck.. what do I get?

I started looking online at adoption agencies and rescue shelters and i found a few that really broke my heart....*sigh*

dogs vs cats?
what kinds shed the least?

I thought a dog...so it can go walking with me...but a cat would be better because my work schedule is so unpredictable and sometimes i stay at the office for like 15-16 hours straight...

ahh i dunno im confused...as usual lol

Replies

• Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am severely bored and lets not forget to mention completely lonely... so everyone keeps telling me to get a pet...but what the heck.. what do I get?

I started looking online at adoption agencies and rescue shelters and i found a few that really broke my heart....*sigh*

dogs vs cats?

I thought a dog...so it can go walking with me...but a cat would be better because my work schedule is so unpredictable and sometimes i stay at the office for like 15-16 hours straight...

• Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Dogs are a lot of work! Cats are pretty easy and maintain themselves. If you don't want to walk a dog every day, then get a cat!
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    But don't cats shed like a mofo?? lol I know that sounds retarded but I waist length curly hair that is already EVERYWHERE I mean literally everywhere...plus do I really wanna be the single woman with a cat??

so stereo-typical :laugh:
    SORRY I COULDNT HELP MYSELF
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well you can't keep a dog cooped up for that long, you'd just have to find a way to stop home and let him out. I would still say dog though - just get one that needs less attention - not a puppy.

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselector.do - to pick a breed

www.petfinder.com - to find a pet

Good Luck! Best Decision Ever
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Cats do handle long "alone" hours better, but even a kitten will be lonely with no one home that long. Maybe get a beta fish? (I work those insane hours too, and I want a pet so badly - just can't do it yet).
  • fit_amy
    fit_amy Posts: 41
    Options
    I'd say cat. A dog would go crazy being left alone that long. Most people I know with dogs need to go home on lunch break to let them out mid-way through the day. Or they use those doggy pad things in the house that the dogs pee on.

I :heart: my cat!! Who cares if you're the single lady with a cat!? You'll be much happier and calmer with a pet. It's awesome--when you're feeling down, they always make you feel better! :flowerforyou: As far as shedding, my cat is a regular ol tabby type of guy, and I really don't have much of a problem with the fur. I should probably brush him more than I do... sometimes I go two weeks in between brushing. There's definitely more fur in the spring when he loses his winter coat. I guess it just depends on how particular you are about car hair being on stuff. For me, the benefits of having his company far outweigh the cons!
  • tookieb
    tookieb Posts: 89
    Options
    I would go for a cat, they are much less work and they don't smell as bad. (Can you tell I'ma cat person) lol If you are trying to adopt which I think is the best, call around and see if they will let you take home the pet of your choice on a trial basis. I've had several cats over the years and found that the short haired ones shed the worst. I know that sound backwards but at one point I had 3 cats, 2 long hair and 1 short and the hair in my house was terrible I had to vacuum everday and twice if I was having people over. I ended up giving my short hair away to a farm because she scratched my daughter (unprovoked). I couldn't believe it I was down to vacuuming 1-2 times a week.

Oh and as for going for walks you can train a cat to go on a leash, I have seen lots of people do it.
  • ShanIsRad
    Options
    A long-haired cat would be best for your situation. I've had cats my entire life, and my long-haired boy sheds way less than my tabby girl does. You just have to brush them to make sure that they don't get knots.
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    CATS. I have two and love them to death. They are easier to cleanup after. You can leave them alone all day and they still look out the window and start purring when you get home. A short har cat won't shed as bad as a long hair cat. It's okay to be a cat woman. Lots of us are:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Start with a fish...If all else fails, they die quickly. They can handle little attention, a small bill for food, and little cleaning. They don't require cuddling, they can stand being left home alone all day, and don't require potty training.

We have a dog and I am a stay at home Mom. He gets tons of love, and thankfully I run and walk with him at night. But with sports season for my kids in full swing, I hate that it is too hot for him to tag along, and he is often at home without us. I hate that! We have to really double up on the love when we are home to make sure he doesn't feel left out or neglected.

Moral of the story about a pet for your lifestyle...

Get a pet that fits!

And good luck, let us know what you choose! :flowerforyou:
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    my pup is home alone for about 4hrs (5 most) most days and I feel TERRIBLE!!!! I'm so scared he's lonely and bored, I set up a kong treat, a bone to chew and a ball treat dispenser thing as well as other things and my lounge is covered in dog toys!! Yeah.... best to get a kitty cat!
  • fit_amy
    fit_amy Posts: 41
    Options
    hum... on second thought... how many days a week are you working 15 hour days? My cat would not be happy if I was away for such a long amount of time. Ultimately, you want your animal friend to be as happy with you as you are with him.

Maybe a hamster? They're kinda fun!
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    hmm... long hours. Maybe hamsters, mice, rats, or gerbils? If you have more room, maybe a bunny or a ferret (assuming it isn't illegal in your state).
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I would agree with many others and say that cats are definitely lower-maintenance animals than dogs (and they can be just as much fun to play with, especially if you bring catnip home :wink: ). If you're worried about shedding, get a cat with a single-layer coat. Lots of cats have a second thicker downy layer under the longer, shinier first coat, and it's the second layer that sheds like nuts. Most tabbies will probably have the double coat (my boyfriend has a white patched tabby with long dual-layer fur that gets EVERYWHERE, but he also has a little black female who's sooo sweet and has a gorgeous shiny single-layered coat, very minimal shedding). Play with an animal before you get one though - see if their personality fits yours, and you can tell how much they shed pretty quickly :laugh: .

Also if you're worried about the kitten being lonely, consider the possibility of getting two, preferably litter-mates. Cats are social animals but getting litter-mates will most likely ensure that they get along well and play together well. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about them being alone especially if you're going to let them outside, they're pretty good at keeping themselves occupied (they do sleep 16 hours a day, after all! A warm patch of sunshine and they're happy til you come home!)

Sorry to go on so much! I wish you the best of luck on your pet-search!
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Edit: I just read of your long hours. Hmm. Dogs need to go out sooner than 15 hours. A cat would be better, or two cats. Dogs would work if you or someone else could spend some time with them to let them out and play for 1/2 hour or so at lunch or even at the nine hour mark. Or, get two female rats. They are smart and friendly like tiny dogs. They love human companionship but will be okay with just each other for the 15 hours in their cage, just give them a decent size cage with activities to keep them busy. They can be trained and will come when you call them. I loved having pet rats.

But think of the pet. It is alive and dependent on you. If you occasionally work 15 hours it is okay and the pet will be fine. If you regularly work long hours the pet will be lonely. Lonely pets either become problem pets with behavior issues or they mope and become depressed and or sick. If you really are this busy it might not be the ideal time to have a pet. You could volunteer with animals or find a neighbor who has a dog and ask if you can borrow it for a walk or playtime a few times a week.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    But don't cats shed like a mofo?? lol I know that sounds retarded but I waist length curly hair that is already EVERYWHERE I mean literally everywhere...plus do I really wanna be the single woman with a cat??

so stereo-typical :laugh:
    SORRY I COULDNT HELP MYSELF

ah no! rules have changed abit on that....that only applies if you live on a corner and have over 14 cats....or you resemble this woman below...in England:noway:

Ok, well guess it might be 130 now.... oh my!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1J6zbqOLtc
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cats and couldn't love them more!! My husband and I are both super busy people with long, unpredictable hours, so the cats get along well without us. They don't need to be walked, let out, etc. every day.

They provide plenty of entertainment and love!! Also, my long-haired girl sheds way LESS than the short-haired boy.

Good luck!! Pet adoption is super rewarding! They'll love you forever!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

dogs vs cats?

where do you live?? I have a kitten and a young mommy cat...... mt sister needs a home for them.... hum, animal shipping, maybe wouldn't work.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Another cat vote!!!! :drinker: I totally agree about the shedding...the long haired cats shed waaaaaaaaay less! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • maggie2020
    Options
    ok I am not real cat fan but my love dogs, as matter of fact my dog saved my life, she is the one who found my cancer,, I have a beagle, her name is jessie,, Go DOGS,,,, :flowerforyou: