Polar HRM

Options
HI MFP buddies!

I purchased a Polar FT4 and I am wondering how accurate is it for a calories burned. Has anyone had any experience with this model? What is your take on the number that it calculates for calories burned?

-Karen

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Polar HRMs are quite accurate although not 100%. I would trust it over any site or machine though.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my FT4!
    I feel the numbers are pretty accurate. Been using mine for a month or two and still losing weight :)
    Just make sure to wet the chest strap :)
  • nbailey2
    nbailey2 Posts: 13
    Options
    I will be testing mine out today!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I got the FT7 and I love it. Its comfy and I think it's pretty accurate..I found that I burn a little less that MFP was telling me..

Good luck with yours.

Here's a question if anyone reads this...is it REALLY okay to wash the strap with the little electrode things in it? I want to throw it in the washer, but I'm afraid. :noway: :blushing: :cry:
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'd hand wash mine just to be safe :)
    Hi :) I got the FT7 and I love it. Its comfy and I think it's pretty accurate..I found that I burn a little less that MFP was telling me..

Good luck with yours.

Here's a question if anyone reads this...is it REALLY okay to wash the strap with the little electrode things in it? I want to throw it in the washer, but I'm afraid. :noway: :blushing: :cry:
  • racquelm29
    Options
    I have the same exact model. I think it's definitely a lot more accurate than the machines, even some machines that display the POLAR logo on them (although it's not off by much on the heart rate, though). I really enjoy being able to see instantly during a workout if I need to step up the intensity or if I'm not burning enough calories to reach my goals. I use the data files from my workout to plug into the Exercise component of MF. It's especially convenient when you're running or doing exercise classes.

Be sure to wet both the Heart Rate Monitor AND the little computer clip that goes with it before your workouts and clean both after each workout. I don't go to the gym without it!

Good luck!
  • racquelm29
    Options
    I wouldn't throw it in the washer.... Per the POLAR site (there's actually an instructional video for the FT4), you should just rinse them and then hang them to dry.
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 (similar to the FT4), and I love it!!

Just remember that HRMs track all calories burned over a period of time, even those you would have burned if you hadn't been exercising. You need to make sure to subract out your "just living" calories to get your actual exercise burn.

If you go to the "my home" tab and then "goals" it will give you a number for how many calories you'll burn each day from normal activity. Divide that by 1,440 to figure out how many calories you burn per minute just living. If you multiple that number by the number of minutes in your workout, you'll know how many calories you would have burned during that time if you hadn't been working out. If you subtract that number from your HRM calorie burn, you'll find out how many of those calories you actually burned due to exercise.

Also, keep in mind that your "just living" daily calorie total changes as you lose weight, so you'll need to update the equation as you lose.
  • heligal79
    heligal79 Posts: 22
    Options
    THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!