Pregnancy ab work

Options
My doctor told me to do anything I did before....I did ab work this week...NOT on my back...using the ab coaster at the gym...i am really feeling it today.......BUT everyone is Yelling at me saying I shouldn't be doing that...
I would like some responses please if you did ab work when pregnant?!?!?!!?!?

Replies

• cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    All of my fit pregger friends gave up traditional ab work and exchanged it for balance based workouts that activated the core that are conducted upright. Stand on a bosu while doing free weights or sit on the ball while doing the cable cross machine. I know one friend who was heavily dissuaded from doing anything in the prone position. Good luck sweetie! Congrats on the bun in the oven!
  • mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    I've always heard it is fine to do what you did before but absolutely NO stomach/ab exercises allowed.
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    I've always heard it is fine to do what you did before but absolutely NO stomach/ab exercises allowed.
    I agree. That is what I was told too
  • krd82
    krd82 Posts: 53
    Options
    I have an ab coaster at home and it specificely says not to use when pregnant.
    Here is a link that explains why you shouldn't use to much strain and has ab workouts for pregnancy.
    http://www.birthingnaturally.net/exercise/abs.html
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this one too. I teach water aerobics and every once in a while I get women who are preg. and asking me about ab exercises (since I am not a dr. I tell them to consult their dr) but I would like to know if anyone has talked to a dr. about this specific topic and what was said.

I do like the stability and core idea and I often tell them to just do suspended moves in the pool because my ab exercises in the water are very much like they would be out of the water but less stable because there is no ground below you.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My doc advised I could do anything I did before that still feels comfortable to my body. But, yes, there's a point in the pregnancy where you shouldn't do anything on your back. It felt uncomfortable for me to do ab work while prego. I agree with Cheangela... do exercise that utilize the core.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    How far along are you? My doctor told me it's fine in the first trimester but not after that. Your body can handle anything you're already used to, but don't start anything new while pregnant.
  • CHEVYLOVER
    Options
    I just had a baby and the doc said First trimester is o.k. but after that it is not safe to do.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    You can damage your muscles if you do ab work while pregnant, to the extent that you may end up forcing the muscles apart and end up with perminantly damaged abs. Don't do it!
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    My doctor told me it was fine, so I went a head with the excerise and ended up having a miscarriage a few weeks later. The only reason I know it was due to the ab work was becuase the grow of the fetus, from when I had the miscarriage, was right around the time from when I started the ab work. I was 10 weeks when I started to go to the gym and when I went in to the ER for sonogram due to heavy pain and bleeding I should have been at 14 weeks and the fetus was only 10weeks with no heart beat.

My recommendation, no heavy excerise and NO ABS workout. If I could go back in time I would have just stayed on the treadmill (with no heavy running) and a little of yoga.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    All of my fit pregger friends gave up traditional ab work and exchanged it for balance based workouts that activated the core that are conducted upright. Stand on a bosu while doing free weights or sit on the ball while doing the cable cross machine. I know one friend who was heavily dissuaded from doing anything in the prone position. Good luck sweetie! Congrats on the bun in the oven!

Please don't ever stand on a bosu while pregnant. Pregnancy makes women's balance change, and it's hard enough to balance properly on them regularly - that's the challenge after all! :) You could easily lose your balance and fall and hurt you and your baby. Congrats on the little bean!
  • therobinator
    Options
    I do like the stability and core idea and I often tell them to just do suspended moves in the pool because my ab exercises in the water are very much like they would be out of the water but less stable because there is no ground below you.

While I don't know if ab work is okay in general -- if it is, this is much better than the bosu, because if you "fall" you won't hurt anything.
  • NittyGrittyBritty
    NittyGrittyBritty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I see lots of pregnant women in spin class. The position of the bike makes you lean forward and engage your core throughout the entire workout. It is also very easy to maintain an intensity that you feel comfortable with, and there is no risk of a wipe out. But talk to your doc for sure!

I have also heard that it is not a good idea to START a workout program during pregnancy but it is usually safe to work out if you are already hitting the gym regularly, you just need to take it down a notch. I work at a gym and many of the class instructors (boxercise, step, etc) continue teaching at a lower intensity until up to a week before they're due but keep in mind that they are very fit to begin with. Yoga can be easily modified to suit pregnancy as well, just let the instructor know and they will let you know when a position is unsuitable for you and offer alternatives.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    My doctor told me it was fine, so I went a head with the excerise and ended up having a miscarriage a few weeks later. The only reason I know it was due to the ab work was becuase the grow of the fetus, from when I had the miscarriage, was right around the time from when I started the ab work. I was 10 weeks when I started to go to the gym and when I went in to the ER for sonogram due to heavy pain and bleeding I should have been at 14 weeks and the fetus was only 10weeks with no heart beat.

My recommendation, no heavy excerise and NO ABS workout. If I could go back in time I would have just stayed on the treadmill (with no heavy running) and a little of yoga.

I miscarried once before... I only did 4-5 mins on it...now I am freaking out! I didn't think I was doing anything stressful-it didnt feel that way! OMG!
  • therobinator
    Options
    I miscarried once before... I only did 4-5 mins on it...now I am freaking out! I didn't think I was doing anything stressful-it didnt feel that way! OMG!

Please try not to freak. I am sure it's a large rarity for ab work to cause any problems. But if you are worried, stop doing it and go see your doctor to make sure everything is still on track. I am sure everything will be okay.