Better than BMI (in my opinion)

Options
vwbug86
vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
I found a website that uses you measurements to calculate you percentage of body fat.

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/body-fat-percentage-calculator.php

I also found a site that with your body fat percentage you can determine a reasonable weight loss goal.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm

I think that it is more useful than the BMI for setting goals for weight loss since it does differentiates between men and women.

Replies

• braungal
    braungal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :)
  • geekgrrl84
    Options
    I love these kind of tools! Thanks for posting!
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    THANK YOU
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    THANK YOU
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BUMP... cool!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....interesting
  • Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Knowing your body fat is definitely more useful than knowing your BMI. BMI doesn't account for muscle mass. If you're "average" muscled then BMI may be a decent indicator of health, but if you're heavily muscled it's completely worthless.
  • finity559
    finity559 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • bobball
    bobball Posts: 57
    Options
    BMI measurement using only a 1 or 2 measurements plus height and weight are often times WRONG on a lot of body types. When I use that It measures me up around the 23% to 25% for BF%. But if I use calipers and measure the 7 points and use that calculator (they are on the web too), it measures me around 18.
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Wow. I knew that BMI is just a rough guesstimate, but I never realized how very off it was for me.

At 0% body fat, I'm still in the "normal" BMI range -- at the very low end, granted, but still "normal."

Luckily, my weight goal is still healthy. And there's some wiggle room for a little extra weight loss after that for a more muscular/atheletic build if I wish.

At least I now have a more realistic idea of what a second round goal can be.

Thanks for sharing!
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.