Toning shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have MBTs and fitflops and I don't like either. I can't drive or walk offroad in either of them, which is hopeless for me as I live basically in the middle of a field. They are probably fine if you live in a flat city.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I had a friend try them and he ended up gaining weight...the stupid things were so uncomfortable that he just sat on the couch.

Well you can't really blame the SHOE for that. :tongue:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Fila ones that I got for ~$20 on sale & with a coupon at Kohls. They are very comfortable, but not good for anything but walking. I only wear them when I'm walking on flat surfaces, like shopping or walking on sidewalks. And if I have aches & pains from other exercise, they make my legs, back and feet feel better.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    This isn't the exact study I was looking for, but it'll do for now!

"“There is simply no evidence to support the claims that these shoes will help wearers exercise more intensely, burn more calories or improve muscle strength and tone.”"
    - Wall street journal report on a study conducted by the American Council on Exercise
    http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2010/07/21/american-council-on-exercise-study-finds-toning-shoes-dont-work/

The actual study by ACE (written by 4 PhD holders):
    http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/toningshoes072010.pdf
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    I have a pair I bought at Payless Shoes for $25 and while I am not sure if they work... I have toned up my thighs and *kitten*. I no longer have "thunder thighs" as much as I used to, my *kitten* doesn't create a little shelf, and my calves feel toner.

It's your choice on whether YOU think it's worth it. Personally, I say if you can find the right pair, for the right price, every little bit helps LOL.

Good luck to ya. :bigsmile:

I also got the ones from Payless, the ones that have the balls on the bottom and are similar to Reebox. I could feel a difference after walking around in them. I wouldn't spend $100 on a pair of them and of course, as others said, you do need to do other exercies, but I wear them when I know I will be walking a lot, like at the theme parks or camping or shopping
  • cnb4845
    cnb4845 Posts: 4
    Options
    I bought the payless version of the Sketcher's Shape-Ups. I like them. I don't know if they really work like they say they do, but I do feel it when I am walking. I work retail, and I like to wear them to work and they are pretty comfortable. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on them, but if you plan to walk a lot, it might be something worth looking into.
  • viansa
    viansa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance version of toning shoes. They are more of a balance board sole and don't have air pockets. I love them regardless if they improve toning or not. They are by far the most comfortable pair of tennis shoes I've ever owned. Though they specifically state they are for walking, not running. But they are beautiful, feel great and make me happy :bigsmile:
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am on my second pair on the Reebok Easy Tones, I love them! I am a waitress and not only do I feel the difference in my muscles, but they really make a big difference in how my legs feel after a night on my feet on cement floors. They feel strange at first but it didn't take my long to get used to them. My mother in law has the Sketchers shape ups and she said she can even feel a difference in her posture when she is wearing them.
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The guys over at Fat2FitRadio were also talking about these shoes one week and they looked into them and found the same facts that there's no evidence they do more than just buying a heavier pair of shoes might do. It tends to get people walking more, though.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've been told they are really good for your feet if you are walking a lot, but I haven't tried them. I wanted to try them, but was wondering the same thing: if they work or not?
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    If you like fractured bones they're great. http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/health/ohio-woman-injured-by-shoes1297691233349

Barefoot is best. They make protective foot ware for barefoot. If you need support like I do from injury, a podiatrist can help you out, probably orthotics to put in your shoes.

Lot's of similar stories if you google it.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Reebok Runtones that I got for ~$30 that I like - at my work I'm on my feet all day and they're comfortable to me. I don't consider them as extra exercise, but I do feel a slight difference when I wear them vs other sneakers.

If you catch them on sale, go for it, otherwise don't bother. I was looking into a pair of MBTs, but I can't justify the $300 sticker price having used the Runtones