my HRM hates me, help required please

Options
i feel a bit cheated by my hrm, MFP offers me loads more cals for exercise, a site I found on the web gives me loads more... And this is based on gender, age, weight, duration of exercise and average heart rate. I believe that my HRM is accurately measuring my heart rate and the data i get accurately shows when i change my effort, say for example if i am running uphill.

Can you tell me what you think about this scenario please:-

If do 1 hour of exercise and my lowest heart rate is 60 for 5 mins, my high is 170 for 5 mins, in between it fluctuates according to effort terrain etc..... But say I have an average heart rate of say 130.....

I then download my data and am required to choose what exercise, cycling, running, walking, skipping whatever for the caloies burned to be calculated.....

My question is what difference does the exercise make? If I choose running I get more cals than cycling and then less for walking, but the heart rate data is the same? Shouldn't the calorie burn be the same?

Replies

• kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump...would love to see the responses :)
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Very interested in these responses..Thanks for posting!
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    it might change because the muscle groups you use are different for different exercises. some use more muscle groups at the same time.
  • mjphipps
    mjphipps Posts: 11
    Options
    I invested in the HRM because I feel every individual is different in height, weight, stamina etc. and any calculation online can only be an estimate. With the HRM I find that sometimes I'm above what an online calculation may say and sometimes I'm lower and I know this is based on my effort and how high my heart rate is at that time. I feel with the HRM I can accurately input my calorie burn whether higher or lower than what may be stated online. I'm glad I made the investment for the HRM and I wear it during all my workouts. I'd love to hear if I'm correct in my thinking.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Running you are carrying your whole body weight as you go, cycling, not so much. That will make a noticeable difference in calories burned.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I think you need a HRM that doesnt go by your exercise... and does your have a chest strap?
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am kinda having the opposite question. I will be interested to hear some responses to this.
    I think for the exercise, wouldn't it make a difference because say for biking, it's lower body, while running you are using lower & upper (pumping arms) ?? Rowing kicks butt on cals burned cuz your working upper & lower bod as well. Please correct me if my logic is wrong!
  • ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yes that is odd. Generally calories burned based on a HRM are directly related to the Heart Rate over a duration of time. For example, if a competitive runner ran two miles at a 8 min/mile pace his heart rate would remain lower throughout the exercise because he is in better shape than say someone else who needs to lose a few pounds, running the same distance at the same speed. The runners HR may stay steady around 130-140 while the guy who needs to lose some way weight may be pushing 175 the entire time. The exercise related to the calories burned is irrelevant to the type of exercise. The only exception to this may be "after burn" or the idea that physically exerting larger or whole body muscle groups leads to more calories burned throughout the day...if it is taking this into effect then the activity matters.
    i feel a bit cheated by my hrm, MFP offers me loads more cals for exercise, a site I found on the web gives me loads more... And this is based on gender, age, weight, duration of exercise and average heart rate. I believe that my HRM is accurately measuring my heart rate and the data i get accurately shows when i change my effort, say for example if i am running uphill.

If do 1 hour of exercise and my lowest heart rate is 60 for 5 mins, my high is 170 for 5 mins, in between it fluctuates according to effort terrain etc..... But say I have an average heart rate of say 130.....

I then download my data and am required to choose what exercise, cycling, running, walking, skipping whatever for the caloies burned to be calculated.....

My question is what difference does the exercise make? If I choose running I get more cals than cycling and then less for walking, but the heart rate data is the same? Shouldn't the calorie burn be the same?
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I think you need a HRM that doesnt go by your exercise... and does your have a chest strap?

Hi
    yep it has a chest strap and I am certain that it accurately records my heart rate. It is the transformation of my activity to calories burned that is getting on my nerves.... I get a pittance!
  • sandram82
    Options
    So to make sure I understand you correctly.. your HRM doesnt continue to show you what your burning.. you have to imput the info to get the answer... my HRM tells me as I am exercising how many calories I am burning.. Is this what your saying?????
  • clioandboy
    Options
    I am pleased someone else finds it odd!!!! I am in pretty good shape with a v low resting heart rate and even after busting a gut my heart rate goes low really quickly.... Good news of course and I accept that I burn less calories coz I am in better condition than 6 months ago.... But as for it switching the amount of cals earned depending on what I class the exercise as, I find it hardto get my head round that!
    Yes that is odd. Generally calories burned based on a HRM are directly related to the Heart Rate over a duration of time. For example, if a competitive runner ran two miles at a 8 min/mile pace his heart rate would remain lower throughout the exercise because he is in better shape than say someone else who needs to lose a few pounds, running the same distance at the same speed. The runners HR may stay steady around 130-140 while the guy who needs to lose some way weight may be pushing 175 the entire time. The exercise related to the calories burned is irrelevant to the type of exercise. The only exception to this may be "after burn" or the idea that physically exerting larger or whole body muscle groups leads to more calories burned throughout the day...if it is taking this into effect then the activity matters.

• clioandboy
    Options
    So to make sure I understand you correctly.. your HRM doesnt continue to show you what your burning.. you have to imput the info to get the answer... my HRM tells me as I am exercising how many calories I am burning.. Is this what your saying?????

Yep I don't monitor my cals burned, I monitor my actual heart rate, duration and if I am running it is linked to a speedbox (shoe pod) which accurately gives my speed and distance. I then upload the data and it calculates calories dependent on activity!!!!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

If I understand correctly. Your HRM tells you you've burned ..example 400 calories. Average heart rate of 130.

If your trying to put it in the exercise area on MFP, then just pick one selection... Walking, or Jogging.
    Just select the amount of minutes that works out to YOUR caloric burn.
    To burn 400 calories walking, it might take you 1.5 hours.
    To burn 400 calories jogging it might take you 3/4 hour.
    To burn 400 calories running at fast pace, it might take you 20 mins.

MFP only will carry about the calories burned, the exercise part is just a "label" for type of exercise.

The selection you are trying to do is for someone who DOES NOT have an HRM, and needs a guide on how many calories burned.
    I walked for 60 mins..........Calculate how many calories burned.
    I jogged for 30 mins......... Calculate how many calories burned.

It is not as accurate, that's why we get a HRM for more precise caloric totals.:smile:

Hope that makes sense.

edit
    I just re-read your response. So you do not have a HRM that calculates calories. It just keeps data of your heart rate and then you upload it. Once you do that, then you pick the activity, and it calculates your calories.

Perhaps take the average of the two.
    If you upload your heart rate data and select walking and it tells you 200 calories burned, then you select jogging, and 300 calories burned split the difference?
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    I'm really curious - what brand/model is the HRM?
  • sandram82
    Options

Yep I don't monitor my cals burned, I monitor my actual heart rate, duration and if I am running it is linked to a speedbox (shoe pod) which accurately gives my speed and distance. I then upload the data and it calculates calories dependent on activity!!!!

Honestly.. to save the issue of imputting all the info I would probably get a diff HRM... just my opinion.. My HRM shows me calories burned and my HR at the same time.. so I know I am in the zone, or going to hard.. and I know exaclty what I am burning!
    Just curious though what HRM are you using??
  • clioandboy
    Options
    Hi it is a Beurer pm 70 (German) I have the speedbox that goes with it for running , bought thru amazon uk and it is accurate in all respects, it is the question of cals burned for the same set of data being different for different exercises...
  • clioandboy
    Options
    Hi, I do exactly that!!!! I just don't really get why the same data would calculate to a different number of calories burned!!

If I understand correctly. Your HRM tells you you've burned ..example 400 calories. Average heart rate of 130.

If your trying to put it in the exercise area on MFP, then just pick one selection... Walking, or Jogging.
    Just select the amount of minutes that works out to YOUR caloric burn.
    To burn 400 calories walking, it might take you 1.5 hours.
    To burn 400 calories jogging it might take you 3/4 hour.
    To burn 400 calories running at fast pace, it might take you 20 mins.

MFP only will carry about the calories burned, the exercise part is just a "label" for type of exercise.

The selection you are trying to do is for someone who DOES NOT have an HRM, and needs a guide on how many calories burned.
    I walked for 60 mins..........Calculate how many calories burned.
    I jogged for 30 mins......... Calculate how many calories burned.

It is not as accurate, that's why we get a HRM for more precise caloric totals.:smile:

Hope that makes sense.

edit
    I just re-read your response. So you do not have a HRM that calculates calories. It just keeps data of your heart rate and then you upload it. Once you do that, then you pick the activity, and it calculates your calories.

Perhaps take the average of the two.
    If you upload your heart rate data and select walking and it tells you 200 calories burned, then you select jogging, and 300 calories burned split the difference?
  • clioandboy
    Options
    @ Sandram my hrm shows me when I am in my preset target zone too. My hrm hates me I don't hate it lol! I would like to understand how 1 hours activity with an average heart rate of 135 can be different if running or skipping for example???
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that all, not some, ALL calories burned measurements be it MFP or some other site, or a HRM, or even a Body Bugg or the like, is an estimation. That is, it is a knowledgeable guess which can be more or less accurate depending on a whole host of factors. Since I have no idea what the numbers you getting are, and don't run anyway so I don't know what would be average, I can't really comment. The only way to accurately measure calories burned is with those things you see in some advertisements where the athlete is hooked up to a bunch of sensors and breaths through a face mask. Then they can calculate from all that the actual calories burned.

Having said that, I would rather have my calorie measurement be low rather than high, and most of the complaints I have seen by people who know more than me is that HRM over estimate calories burned, sometimes at a rather alarming rate.