How Did You loose?

LifeMeansSoMuch
LifeMeansSoMuch Posts: 41
edited September 25 in Success Stories
I have read some topic where people have lost soo much weight in like 4 mos... And some it took them more than a year. I am just curious to know how did you loose your weight. Like what did you use for exercise, how did you stay motivated, how did you eat(what did you eat), how long it took you, howw did you pick yourself up if you've had a bad day or just really HOW DID YOU DO IT!? From the baby steps to the the big steps. I know that everybody's body is different, but for those who are kinda having trouble staying focus and on task...yes lol kida like me:blushing:

Replies

• Don't compare yourself to others~ I have been counting calories and working out 3-5x a week for 3 months. I've lost 19lbs. My husband has been doing the same, for only 2 months and has lost 35lbs! Every body is different.
    Keep your eye on your goal. Personally, when I have a craving, I wait it out a couple days and if I still crave it, I let my self have it- but at 1/2 portion.

I wanted a burrito really bad, waited a few days and still really wanted one. So I got one, but only ate 1/2 of it and it still fit into my daily calorie intake for that day
  • ScrewtheCause
    ScrewtheCause Posts: 15 Member
    I found that documenting what you eat, how much exercise you do, how you feel each day (did you have trouble getting up after too little sleep/too much/ just enough, etc) helped me keep on track.

I don't like removing foods from my diet so I set myself goals like;
    Eating at home= 30min workout each night.
    Eating fast food= 45min to 1hr workout each night.
    Then each month I'd take into account what I had documented and adjusted my work outs/snacks/meals accordingly.
  • On January 3rd I signed up for a Weight Loss Boot Camp at my gym (Lifetime Fitness). The program is 3 days a week (M, W & F) for an hour each and it is VERY cardio intensive. In addition to that I met with a trainer to get a gym routine for my off days of Tuesday and Thursday. I have been doing some light strength training and then more cardio on the off days.

What really made the difference was changing the way I eat. In the boot camp we would meet with a nutritionist every Wednesday for the first 6-8 weeks to talk about the common pitfalls that people get stuck in and how to eat without sacrificing too much. However, I made sure that all of my changes would be things that I could live with going forward. I still go out to lunch every day. I just make smarter choices about what I eat. I still enjoy a good meal or two on the weekend and I still take a couple bites of ice cream every once and a while because I just can't give those things up forever.

As of this morning I am down 26 pounds from where I started. I originally wanted to lose 30lbs and was giving myself 6 months to do it. Now that I am almost at my goal I am probably going to change it and try to lose a total of 35-40lbs.

How did I do it? I realized that the only way I was going to change was if I mentally committed to losing the weight. I had tried to lose weight before, but it always came back on as soon as I slowed down my workouts. This time is different because I have a wife and 2 daughters that I want to be around with for a very, very long time. I have been totally committed to the program, partly because I enjoy the variety of the boot camp. The trick is to find something that you enjoy, not dread. That way you will look forward to it everyday.
  • I focus mostly on keeping my surgars under 20g grams a day and being aware that im not over doing it on the carbs late at night. Every meal consists of less carbs and fewer calories through out the day. Normaly ending with dinner as my smallest meal for example, like a small peice of chicken and a small serving of veggies. But it took my a long time to find that this is what worked for me. As for staying motivated i found that it was best for me to not weigh myself. (aweful habbit to break) I measured myself in various places every 2 weeks instead, being very careful that i was always measuring in the same place. That held off the "i gained a pound" pit fall :) And if my number were iffy i just had to remind myself that this was a journey, i didnt get this way over night. I hope this helps some! Trail and error plus determination girl!
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    I lost 21 pounds in 2 months through March 7th. Since then, I have held my weight - I still have 10 pounds to go, but I'm not going to be in a hurry to take that on.

I think for me the keys were:

1) I faithfully maintained an accurate food diary on MyFitnessPal.com - you can't beat it for accountability. If I had a bad day or a purposeful "cheat" day, the food diary motivated me to get back on track the next day.

2) I exercised at least 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes with an emphasis on core exercises and cardio, and often exercised more. I went to weight or cardio classes at my gym which helped with scheduling and motivation. Plus, working out with other people is more accountability.

3) I avoided sugars, breads, and eating out at restaurants with a passion. I cut back on alcohol consumption - I don't drink much normally, but I drank much less the last two months. I ate healthy snacks (nuts, protein bars) and drank lots of water during the day. I paid close attention to portion sizes - I love pizza but I lived with two slices and a salad instead of six.

4) I weighed myself every day. Just a little bit of progress is great motivation to keep going.

I learned that the only effective weight loss technique, for me, anyway, is making small, incremental lifestyle changes that I can live with. You're not going to get where you want to go overnight and you're not going to get there without hitting a bump in the road once in a while. Setting realistic, attainable goals and accepting that healthy living is a process and a journey has been a big help to me.
  • plainpam
    plainpam Posts: 9 Member
    Everyone is so right, you have to find the way that fits for you. I weighed 215#, am 5ft2in, so big. I lost and gained for years. Then I lost down to 190# with diet pills, not a good way. Then I started weight watchers at work with a friend. I had no thoughts of it working for me. But it did. I made a life change with weight watchers. I lost 44lbs. in a year with that. Then I quit work, semi-retired. I kept up with logging food and eating healthy, it seems my body wanted that way. I am now down to 130 lbs. I work out with Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds DVDs 5 days a week. I keep very busy in my life, I cant sit around, so that helps. But i still eat weight watchers way, portion control, etc. I have what I want, give in to cravings at times. But I feel so much better, have so much more energy. I am an RN so I have back problems, over 29 years lifting and tugging. So losing the weight has helped my back. So Good Luck on your choice, will be here to cheer you on. You can do it.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I know for myself that it is important to forgive myself when I mess up and to get back on track as quickly as possible.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    It depends on how hard you work, and how healthy you eat.
    Some do it slow and steady, and take it easier with their exercise and diet.
    Some go all out and exercise a lot, and are more strict with what they eat, and I'm sure there are some that probably lose it unhealthily, by not eating enough, or with diet pills etc.

It also depends on your height, weight, genetics etc. can all determine how much you lose and how fast you lose it, or if you have any medical problems, but aside from the medical problems, I believe it mostly depends on how much you apply yourself.
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    I am not a pro at all of this but i have done HOURS of research. There are alot of factors that play into you loosing weight and how fast you loose it. With out knowing your stats it will be hard to tell you but i will give it a try.

1. DIET-You need to figure out how many cals you should be intaking a day. Then figure out the split that works best for you. By split i meant how many carb/fats/proteins you need to eat to make up your daily cals. I do a 60/20/20% which is protein/fats/carbs, so most of my cals come from protien. Yes you need fats and carbs to loose wieght. They need to be healthy fats and healthy carbs. Google it

2.Cardio- I do cardio in the morning before i eat for a hour. Then i work out in the afternoon + cardio after that. Cardio is the key to loosing wieght.

To stay motivated i just look at myself in the mirror and say yep this just aint going to work.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    For me it's definitely been a slow, but progressive journey. I started in August 2009 and took until October 2010 to lose 40 pounds. Forty pounds in fourteen months is pretty slow by most standards. I started with just going to the gym 5 days a week and getting on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes. After a couple of weeks of that I started watching what I ate, less calories overall and particularly less sugar (a big weakness for me). I was aiming for around 1500 to 1800 calories a day.

In October of 2010 I hired a personal trainer for 2 25-minute sessions per week. Since I've been working with her, I've lost another 20 pounds in the last 5 months (and lots more inches than on my own). I started using MFP in January because my trainer wanted to see what types of things I was eating. She wanted me to increase the proteins and decrease the fats. I still work out 5 days a week, twice with my trainer and three times on my own. My workouts are much more intense now than they were when I started, though I probably only average 400 to 500 calories per workout (of about 45 minutes). Oh, and the workouts definitely include weight training.

I still have another 30 to 40 pounds to lose and expect it to take about another year. For me the slow approach works best because this is something I want to maintain for the rest of my life. I want to make sustainable changes, not something so drastic that I will despair of ever succeeding and just quit.

Good luck on finding the path that works best for you. :flowerforyou:
  • PolyTeine
    PolyTeine Posts: 78 Member
    Bump
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!