Calories you have earned

Options
vickyg1
vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
I have a question. It says after you exercise that you have earned a certain amount of calories and they add it to your food. At least i think i am understanding it right. Why would they want you to eat the calories you just worked off?

Replies

• cburden1373
    Options
    I wonder the same thing. I was just discussing this with my daughter. If anyone know, please let me know!!!!!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Because the calories they give you is a deficit already.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Also read the two links in my signature.
  • beckymike36
    beckymike36 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    you need them to keep up your stength and energy, the calories they give you is already less so you lose pounds.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I totally agree.

However, MFP assigns calories to eat based on your current weight and how many calories you should eat to lose weight safely. They never show less than 1200 calories no matter how small you are. That being said, I think they add in the exercise calories to encourage that safe weight loss - not too rapid and not putting bodies into starvation mode.

Personally, I usually log in under my calorie allotment for the day, but I do use the exercise calories a bit. Today, I earned about 300 exercise calories, am allowed 1200 and ate about 1400.

I'm not an expert - just letting you know what I think is the MFP logic.

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    As you burn more calories, your body needs more calories. Basically, MFP wants your daily calories to be "net" calories. Example: MFP sets your calorie goal at 1200 and you do no exercise that day. Your net calories are 1200. The next day your goal is 1200, but you burn off 300 through exercise. If you do not eat your exercise calories back, you are left with net calories of 900.
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You need to properly fuel your body to be able to workout, etc. If you configure your cals intake for weight loss, you will need those "earned" through exercise cals to survive without getting into starvation mode, which your body will likely turn against you...
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
  • jengilliam04
    Options
    this is based on how many calories they have you on...so if you are on a 1450 calorie diet, and burn an extra 200 exercising, you can eat an extra 200 bc you will still lose whatever per week, 1 pound or 2 pounds whatever you selected...if you don't eat it..you'll lose weight faster, just remember you need energy to exercise!
  • LactoVeggie
    LactoVeggie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As near as I can tell, The diet plan (caloric intake) is created based on your weight loss goals, body type and lifestyle. If your very active, like a professional athelete, your requirements will be much higer. So considering that your already on a reduced calorie diet, calculating your exercise is making sure your still taking in the propper ammount of calories, reducing your calories too much can be dangerous, esp if you have a very active lifestyle.
  • HillaryFrye
    HillaryFrye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That makes sense, but what if you exercise at the end of the day? Should I carry over my exercise calories?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    That makes sense, but what if you exercise at the end of the day? Should I carry over my exercise calories?
    I exercise at the end of the day. I know that if I'm doing cardio, I'm going to burn X amount (approximately). If I'm doing weight work, I'll burn Y amount.

I plan my day's meals to have an overage equaling what I 'think" my exercise deficit will be. If I'm a little off, it can be balanced the next day.

As someone else said, "Our bodies aren't on a 24 hour timer. They don't automatically reset at midnight".

Which also means if you're exercise calories are eaten the next day, every day, you're golden.
  • HillaryFrye
    HillaryFrye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's great advice!