Edamime and Hummus?

Options
I've seen posts where people say they eat edamime (unshelled) with hummus in a chip n dip style fashion. Then I've seen posts where people say you shouldn't eat the hairy outside shell of edamime? What's the deal? If you can eat it, how do you prepare it so it isn't so tough?

Shannon

Replies

• afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I dont eat the outside part- but you can take the husk with the beans inside and dip it in hummus, then when you put it in your mouth you can squeeze out the bean- that way you have the bean and the hummus and you can dip it like you would a chip or something.
    The same concept works for when you i get edamame at a sushi or asian restaurant, you dip the husk in the sauce then use your teeth to take the bean out so you get the sauce and bean
  • pariskelly
    pariskelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Correct, you do not eat the "shell" of the edamame, only the little bean or pea inside. As far as hummus, there are a lot of edamame hummus recipes out there, like this one:

http://www.thedeliciouslife.com/edamame-hummus-worlds-fifth-biggest/
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Right, don't eat the pod. Just the beans.

I've never heard of people using the whole pod to dip into hummus before... but I HAVE read a lot of recipes for "edamame hummus" where people replace chick peas with edamame (soy beans).

Might be nice to try it today actually... could be a very festive green colour!
    :drinker: