tofu

Options
I have some extra firm tofu in my fridge and would like some healthy recipes that are not stir fry. Thanks!

Replies

• anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm making mine into a quiche today (for St. Patrick's day... ahaha).
    When you crumble up tofu, you can use it the same way you would use eggs... in a scramble, or quiche for example. Or you could crumble the tofu, add onions, bread crumbs, spices, mushrooms and bake it like a meatloaf.

If you cut up the block of tofu into slices and marinade it, you can braise the tofu in a pan and eat it like a protein course (think bbq sauce, soy and ginger, basil and tomato sauce...)

Cut it into strips and fill rice paper wraps with them (along with cilantro, mango, carrot strips, cucumber, avocado and peanuts).

Feel free to message me if you are interested in a specific recipe and I'll try to help :)
  • Carolyn204
    Carolyn204 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check out this website: http://fatfreevegan.com/

It may help give you some ideas for your tofu. I personally like tofu scramble, with some nutritional yeast and veggies like onions and mushrooms.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    Hmm, i was going to say if it was Silken you could make a righteous chocolate pudding! LOL But for the Extra firm you can make a cold salad (kind of like a three bean salad?) with cannelini (great northern white) beans, green beans, whatever otherveggie sounds good (maybe some fresh red bell pepper or yellow squash?) a little apple cider vinegar, a drizzle of honey, EVOO and maybe some dill? Or a squirt of lemon juice? Or whatever herbs you prefer. Get CREATIVE!!
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    Cut it into strips and fill rice paper wraps with them (along with cilantro, mango, carrot strips, cucumber, avocado and peanuts).

Mmm, sounds good! :)
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Where do I get rice paper strips?
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Ahhh so many great possibilites!

One of my favorite is Ginger Poached Noodles with Tofu and Veggies. Fill pot with vegetable stock instead of water and fresh ginger root peeled and sliced. Bring to a boil and simmer the tofu for about 10 minutes. Remove and set tofu aside. Then cook noodles (I use spinach noodles, but any kind of pasta/noodle is fine). Drain. I use a separate pan to sauté whatever veggies I want. Stir in veggies and tofu with spinach, add a bit of soy sauce, lime juice, basil, mint, red pepper flakes or cayenne powder. Top with a bit of sesame oil at the end if you like.

I also like to put tofu in quesadillas or fajitas and make them into burgers with bulgur and black beans.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options

Where do I get rice paper strips?

Most larger grocery chains that have an Ethnic Aisle (asian foods)... they are sold usually in round dried sheets (watch out though, some are a tapioca paper) And some times in the fridge/freezer section near the "egg roll wraps/ wantons". or you can search for an asian market specific to your area. :) Good luck!