Sodium question

Options
So I know this topic may be asked alot but I just have a question about how much sodium should we be eating a day?? I have read a few things about it and have come across a couple of different answers and I was curious to know what you all try to eat and what is too much? I have read dont go over 1500mg and not to go over 2500mg. I know that MFP allows 2500mg but what do you all try to stay under as far as sodium intake??

Replies

• Capucine72
    Options
    The less the better but I still have difficulty staying below 2500mg.:sad:
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    A healthy person should be trying to hit the 2500 mg. If you have high blood pressure 1500 mg or even lower is your goal.
  • mandy_marie
    mandy_marie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ok...thanks! I dont have high blood pressure so thank goodness for that....EVERYTHING seems to have sodium in it :ohwell: So I seem to have too watch that more then my calories....
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Your body needs some sodium... But most healthy people need to stay under 2500 and those with blood pressure issues need to stay under 1800- 1500.. Depending on how bad the issue is. My husband has high BP and his dr recommended 1800 or lower.
    If you are asking from a weight loss view, staying under 2500 a day will help you not retain water. The more sodium you eat a day the more water, potassium and magnesium you will need to also eat or drink. (Naturally from food is best not in form of pills)These 3 things will help balance out your sodium.
  • mandy_marie
    mandy_marie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your body needs some sodium... But most healthy people need to stay under 2500 and those with blood pressure issues need to stay under 1800- 1500.. Depending on how bad the issue is. My husband has high BP and his dr recommended 1800 or lower.
    If you are asking from a weight loss view, staying under 2500 a day will help you not retain water. The more sodium you eat a day the more water, potassium and magnesium you will need to also eat or drink. (Naturally from food is best not in form of pills)These 3 things will help balance out your sodium.

awesome!! Thanks, I am doing it for weightloss so I should be good as long as I stay under 2500mg then...I just wasnt too sure if I was cosuming too much for weightloss..and I try to drink 90 or more oz of water too!!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    sodium is the worst! once I started checking last week, I dropped 2 pounds. This week unfortuantely I did not keep an eye on it as much so I think I won't get a loss this week but I'm going to start really checking it again today and from now on. It really can hinder weight loss I've learned.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I think MFP's goal of 2,500 is way too high so I changed my goal to 2,000mg but I still try hard to be as far under that as possible. You can change your goal by going to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Save your changes. I would also recommend increasing your daily fiber to at least 25g.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I stay at the 2500 and that works really well. It sucks that sodium is in EVERYTHING LOL.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I heard on the news a few weeks ago that "they" now recommend a limit of 1500 mg. per day for everyone. I am a retired nurse, so WAY back 4grams used to be normal and a 2 gram sodium diet was considered "low sodium". I guess times change as they learn more. I am still mad at "them" for lowering the "normal" BP to 115! I'll be lucky to ever hit that.....therefore I keep trying to lose weight!

I cook about 95% or more of my meals, so I have quit "routinely" salting everything as I cook, as I realize that canned tomato products especially have lots of sodium, and it is almost enough to add just a pinch or two to a pot of chili. I was also shocked to learn that Foster Farms adds "flavorings" to their chickens! ANd they carry a sodium content on their label. I find really low sodium Chicken Broth at Trader Joes and canned whole tomatoes without salt there. I save my salt for things that I love to be salted such as baked potatoes, fresh tomatoes, and corn on the cob. I use parmesan cheese on my salads and make my own dressings, so I really try to keep the salt level down there. So between cutting out sugar, and keeping the sodium low, it's nice to not have to wake up with swollen fingers and face every morning!
  • SharonMarquiss
    Options
    I'm almost always under 2,000, many times under 1,000! Looking back through my food entries, I notice that soup is very high in sodium, so I recommend us all cutting down on it and finding an alternative - that's what I'm going to do! We are a family of six and I have learned over the years, to cook at home. We very rarely eat out - years of not being able to afford it! I believe that's the reason for the low sodium in our diets. So many places add flavour with extra salt and even msg. I think when I left the UK, msg had been banned in many instances. (That was in 1992). That is another reason I try to buy organic whenever possible. Again, that is difficult to afford with a family of six, but of course, worth it for our health. I never add salt to the water I use to boil things in, and don't add salt at the table. MRS DASH seasoning blend has no salt and adds a lot of flavour. I also use lots of herbs and sometimes balsamic vinegar. I actually use balsamic vinegar to stir fry veggies and add water when the pan is very hot essentially steaming them. I make my own salad dressings because then I know what's in them! I can't think of anything else at the moment but I hope these couple of ideas may help.