• anemoneflynn
    Options
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/relationships/articles/2011/
    03/17/dieting_is_tough_enough_without_adding_a_sabotaging_if
    _well_intentioned_spouse_to_the_mix/
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My only complaint was that to finish the article they want you to register with the Boston Globe.
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    My husband is like this - if I don't eat with him and what he's eating and at least what he would consider a 'full serving,' I'm in trouble. His servings sizes aren't realistic, either. He doesn't mean it badly - he's always concerned about me and wants me to eat well and stay healthy, he just has no experience with maintaining good portion sizes. He has learned much about nutrition and organic foods and such over the last few years, but he has no self-control when it comes to good stuff, and doesn't like it if he feels I'm depriving myself. It's one of the reasons I have chocolate every day (although who needs an excuse for that!) - if I have a piece of dark chocolate in the afternoon, I can keep myself from griping about it later, and if he offers me dessert or anything I can say I've had mine. I have to be on my guard constantly!
  • ropedancer
    ropedancer Posts: 115
    Options
    Great article. I think it really draws attention to how unhealthy food is ingrained in our daily romantic life. You fall into habits. You go to the movies and share a popcorn. You split a pizza between the two of you while watching movies. You go to your favorite restaurant and order a 1500 cal entree each. Then one realizes that they're indulging way too much and doing damage to their health and decides to change. The other partner feels hurt because these beloved romantic rituals have been stopped. I can relate. It's not easy at all.
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    I think part of it is also that my husband feels guilty because he's not doing it with me - he feels like he can't exercise or lose weight because of health problems, and he uses food as a feel-good solution to his problems, while knowing it doesn't work that way. He used to complain because I didn't have enough energy to work out with him in addition to playing soccer twice a week and biking to work - now I'm the one who doesn't have his participation.