Recs for 'lighter' cardio?

Options
Lately, I have been rethinking my exercise schedule. I lift heavy 3x per week and follow my lifting sessions with 20 minutes of cardio. On days where I am not lifting, I'm usually doing an hour of very intense cardio (ie: Insanity style exercises). I have started wondering if all of this intense exercise while low carbing is actually sabotaging my weight loss efforts. I am going to start training a little 'lighter'... not my lifting, but my cardio. Today, I walked 5 miles, at a 12 min/mile pace... I didn't have to bust-*kitten* and it felt amazing... and in that hour, I still burned 600 calories.

I was wondering if any of you fine folks had any recommendations for lighter cardio that you still find to be fun and a good workout? I am monitoring my heart to work out at a lower aerobic level (my h/r between 110 & 155 bpm).
I love dancing, so dvd recs for dance-type workouts would be appreciated, but I am open to anything!

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Skydancer80
    Options
    What about the new Craz Zumba I heard soooo many great things about it ....think of getting a DVD myself I googled it looks like something you may enjoy!
  • SammySweetheart
    Options
    My favorite odd-end light cardio activities are hiking, skateboarding, and yoga. Plus, yoga will do WONDERS for your lifting, especially because it helps your flexibility and balance. Keep up the great work =)
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    My favorite odd-end light cardio activities are hiking, skateboarding, and yoga. Plus, yoga will do WONDERS for your lifting, especially because it helps your flexibility and balance. Keep up the great work =)

While I don't actually 'practice' yoga, I have started doing certain yoga poses. (Some balance postures, sun salutations, etc) and I found that with just a little, in a few weeks I already felt like my balance was better and it really does feel good!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you don't have much body fat and are doing a bunch of exercise there is a chance your body will break down your muscles to use as fuel. Lower intensity cardio for long sessions will also do this though.
  • heatherlfulton
    heatherlfulton Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like the yoga stretching (Hatha) along with Bellydancing. I have just started the bellydancing video and currently feel like an ape in a gazelle class, but still had fun and got my heart rate up.