Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

question about sodium allowances

agdeierl
agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
It is my understanding that when you get more sodium from foods than your body can deal with, it gets rid of the excess by sweating it out or peeing it out. So getting in an intense workout and/or drinking tons of water will rid your body of the excess sodium, right? Why is it then that after inputting your exercise cals burned, all values are deducted except sodium? I guess it would be hard to know how much could be deducted since everybody sweats differently, but it seems like if you are "earning" back extra carbs, protein, fiber, etc., you would also "earn" back extra sodium as well. Can someone please clear this up for me? Even if I am doing well on sodium, earning back almost 600 cals from my zumba workout (I am completely drenched in sweat by the end of the hour), I find it hard not to get enough cals in but to get enough cals in and not go over on sodium. Even if I were to try to eat 500 of those back, how on earth could I not go over on sodium??? Even cutting out processed foods isn't enough help when you have that many calories to eat back, since the only foods that don't have much sodium are extremely low-calorie foods like fruit. can't eat 500 cals worth of fruit! Some help please!

Replies

• mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    I've been kind of wondering about this too, hopefully someone can clarify how sodium is excreted (for lack of a better word).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    the sodium is a maximum amount regardless how much calories you take in. every other category is based on a % of total calories, sodium does not work this way. MFP sets it at 2500 mg but it is better to be aroung 1500 mgs/day.

It is easy not going over on sodium, don't eat any prepakaged or fast food, don't add salt to you food. Eat natural foods next to no sodium.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Things like sodium and vitamins are based on a RDA (recommended daily allowance) which means a daily limit on how much said item we should be having. They want us to have vitamin C at certain amount "regardless of sex, height, weight" etc just to aim for that amount daily for what they have decided is optimal.
  • JustinTime4Dinner
    JustinTime4Dinner Posts: 13 Member
    there ain't no need to worry about the sodium cuz you do pee it out like constantly...well, you're not peeing constantly, but you know what I mean? we all need salt. Salt is good. Salt is one of my personal best friends...i put it on everything...I even put salt on salt and just eat that. and you earn back carbs and such because those are based on a percentage of your total net calories or whatever..your sodium is a fixed number, yeah?
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    huh?? ^
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    the way MFP is set up for sodium is for a fixed amount regardless of circumstances. the amount of sodium you take in should be a factor of how much you drink, and how much you sweat. personally I get between 4-5g per day, I don't watch it thats just how it turns out. I also drink at least a gallon a day, and work ten hour days in a 90 degree kitchen.

if your exercising regularly there's not much point in watching sodium.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    there ain't no need to worry about the sodium cuz you do pee it out like constantly...well, you're not peeing constantly, but you know what I mean? we all need salt. Salt is good. Salt is one of my personal best friends...i put it on everything...I even put salt on salt and just eat that. and you earn back carbs and such because those are based on a percentage of your total net calories or whatever..your sodium is a fixed number, yeah?

I wouldnt say there is no need to worry about salt intake......what about those with high blood pressure and other health issues that an increase/overage of salt can lead to catastrophic repercussions?
  • agdeierl
    Yeah I get all that, I guess I should have been more specific. I am not concerned with sodium intake as it pertains to heart health, blood pressure, etc. This is because I have no history of these problems in my family, and when I wasn't monitoring my sodium intake (so getting lots more than I get in now that I have MFP), my doctor said my blood pressure was "great!". I'm talking more about sodium intake as it will affect weight loss. I know it only affects it in water retention, but I have weigh-ins every Friday, and Thursday are zumba days, and even cooking at home, adding no extra salt, it's hard to compensate for the 1230 cals I'm supposed to get every day plus the extra 600 I gain from zumba, all staying under 2500 mg sodium. Usually I never have a problem with staying under on sodium. It is only the "high burn" days that are hard for me. I wish I knew what the magical number for sodium overage was for me when it would start to affect my weigh-in.
  • JustinTime4Dinner

I wouldnt say there is no need to worry about salt intake......what about those with high blood pressure and other health issues that an increase/overage of salt can lead to catastrophic repercussions?

oh yea...i just read about all that. there is more of a link between high fructose corn syrup and hypertension than between sodium and hypertension. maybe watch the processed sugar instead of the salt? i dont know. just sayin
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member

You are incredibly mistaken. Salt is *not* your best friend. Yes, a small amount of it (500 mg) is essential for proper body functioning, but too much salt causes your body to retain more water in the blood stream to correct the imbalance, which increases blood volume, which puts more strain on your cardiovascular system (including your heart!). It puts you at risk for high blood pressure, which causes a whole host of other problems. It was recently announced that the USDA recommends EVERYONE try to keep sodium at 1500 mg/day - rather than the old 2300mg/day recommendation. All reputable agencies/doctors/etc. agree that lower is better.

I'd recommend you do some real research and educate yourself on this before you set yourself up for a lifetime of health problems...

To the OP - think of it this way - when you exercise, you earn more calories, but sodium has nothing to do with calories... it just uses food as a vehicle to enter our bodies. Too much sodium, even if we are "allowed" more calories, can have negative health consequences.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member

This is patently false that it is nothing to worry about. Excess salt intake raises blood pressure, contributes to heart disease and stroke and causes bloating which interferes with weight loss.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Yeah I get all that, I guess I should have been more specific. I am not concerned with sodium intake as it pertains to heart health, blood pressure, etc. This is because I have no history of these problems in my family, and when I wasn't monitoring my sodium intake (so getting lots more than I get in now that I have MFP), my doctor said my blood pressure was "great!". I'm talking more about sodium intake as it will affect weight loss. I know it only affects it in water retention, but I have weigh-ins every Friday, and Thursday are zumba days, and even cooking at home, adding no extra salt, it's hard to compensate for the 1230 cals I'm supposed to get every day plus the extra 600 I gain from zumba, all staying under 2500 mg sodium. Usually I never have a problem with staying under on sodium. It is only the "high burn" days that are hard for me. I wish I knew what the magical number for sodium overage was for me when it would start to affect my weigh-in.

You will lose weight regardless of sodium intake, but you may retain water if your sodium is high, which can make it look on the scale like you have not lose weight. You could gain 2lbs of water retention and lose lb of fat and the scale will tell you you gained a pound.
  • WomanofWorth

oh yea...i just read about all that. there is more of a link between high fructose corn syrup and hypertension than between sodium and hypertension. maybe watch the processed sugar instead of the salt? i dont know. just sayin

Or maybe we should just stay away from eating crap altogether and the problem goes away. . .just saying
  • JustinTime4Dinner

This is patently false that it is nothing to worry about. Excess salt intake raises blood pressure, contributes to heart disease and stroke and causes bloating which interferes with weight loss.

why it gotta be all that? why can't you just say, "yo dude, you're wrong...(link here) and this is why" Why you gotta throw down the "patently"? jeez
  • agdeierl
    As I said before, I am only worried about it as far as bloat leading to weight "gain", not health conditions. I think it's unlikely that after 23 years of never monitoring sodium and getting in way more than I probably "should" have and still getting extremely healthy physicals, blood pressure readings, etc. that it's all of a sudden going to pose a health problem if I go over one day a week. I also have no history whatsoever of these health problems like heart disease and high blood pressure. Actually, I have family history of low blood pressure. So only interested in EFFECTS TOWARDS BLOATING/BAD WEIGH-INS. Thanks.
  • agdeierl

You will lose weight regardless of sodium intake, but you may retain water if your sodium is high, which can make it look on the scale like you have not lose weight. You could gain 2lbs of water retention and lose lb of fat and the scale will tell you you gained a pound.

Ok, thank you for addressing my question! :flowerforyou:
  • WomanofWorth

why it gotta be all that? why can't you just say, "yo dude, you're wrong...(link here) and this is why" Why you gotta throw down the "patently"? jeez

So it's disrespectful to tell you that your statement is false or even patently false? Yeah, I could have done it as you would have preferred, but the truth is still the truth, no matter whether I sugar coat to go down more easily or not.
  • JustinTime4Dinner

So it's disrespectful to tell you that your statement is false or even patently false? Yeah, I could have done it as you would have preferred, but the truth is still the truth, no matter whether I sugar coat to go down more easily or not.

Wasn't sayin it was disrespectful. You cant disrespect me. All I'm sayin is that the "patently" makes you sound like you're trying to be superior and all. Your not. lol
  • agdeierl
    Now I just regret asking the question, because, as always, it has resulted in petty arguments and name-calling. How about we all act like adults and just let comments we don't like go? So what if he says salt is his best friend? Nobody's saying it has to be yours! I promise you, anyone who is of sound mind enough to continue with this journey knows well enough that excessive sodium is not good for you. There's no reason to get your panties all in a twist over it!
  • agdeierl
    Now I just regret asking the question, because, as always, it has resulted in petty arguments and name-calling. How about we all act like adults and just let comments we don't like go? So what if he says salt is his best friend? Nobody's saying it has to be yours! I promise you, anyone who is of sound mind enough to continue with this journey knows well enough that excessive sodium is not good for you. There's no reason to get your panties all in a twist over it!