I hate my job...should I quit?

Options
Dreamerlove
Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
I absolutely HATE my current job! I have been there 2 years too long. I serve tables and that is my husbands and I "gas/food" money. I want to quit and just not show up tonight. They treat their employees like crap, and I just can't take it anymore. What should I do..If I don't go in we will get behind on all of our bills??? Should I suck it up again even though I have cried at work the last 6 times I have been in? Or be late on our bills and PRAY I can find another job???

NOT to mention, Its making me stressed so now I don't want to workout. AND my husband says he thinks I should suck it up till I find another one..BUT I HATE IT SOOOO MUCH!!! The hostess will purposely not seat me, talk about me, push me till I snap (bc they know I NEVER snap), and the managers will do the same thing...along with doing crappy work....I just want a "big girl" job. come on I am 23!

I have been looking for another job, last night I applied at 17 different places...I am qualified I have 3 years of college exp. I have Dental administering credentials, 5 years of office assisting/sales ..etc

My question is would you go or just not show up...I don't need them for a reference I can say I wasn't working while in school.

Replies

• JustinTime4Dinner
    JustinTime4Dinner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself this question and wait until you give yourself an honest answer before making your decision: would I rather have the stress of this crappy job, or the stress of looking for work given that the average work search is taking 1 year or more?
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would stick with it till you find another job even though it sucks balls... Kepp appling like crazy or go to a temp agency and get placements...

Thats just my advice
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    go to work....suck it up and wait to hear from the 17 other places....quitting and putting your living and paying of bills on hold cause you are unhappy is not acceptable as a grownup.....make the best of what you have....and be grateful you have a job...
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    Ask yourself this question and wait until you give yourself an honest answer before making your decision: would I rather have the stress of this crappy job, or the stress of looking for work given that the average work search is taking 1 year or more?

just wut i was about to say. lol. id wait till i found a new job then leave em without notice.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it...but I say suck it up
    always better to look for another job when you are employed (coming from a recruiting stand point)
    Plus it is very tough out there, you have NO idea how long u will be unemployed.....
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Not to be rough, but part of being an adult is paying the bills. If quitting your job (without a new one lined up) is going to cause a financial hardship, then you shouldn't do it. If you're not sure if you will get behind on your bills - it sounds like you and your husband need to sit down, look at the finances and decide as a couple if you can get by on just his income for a little while. If so, then it might be an option. If you can't get by on just his income then you're probably best to just wait until you have something else lined up. Sounds like you're actively working toward finding a new job - keep at it and eventually something will work out.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I'm with Justin. And it's easier to find a job while you already have a job. :flowerforyou:

But you gotta do what you gotta do. The sun will come up tomorrow either way.
  • TheBlondeGirl
    Options
    If I were you, I would go in and try to think of a backup plan. I hate my current job too and I'm in college. I was so stressed between working full time and going to school part time that I was failing all of my classes, so I talked to my boss to see if I could reduce my hours, or go part time until the end of the semester. They agreed to let me go part time until May 1st, but during that time they are hiring my replacement. Work sucks, and I want a big girl job too..they're just hard to find. If you can stand it, go in and make what money you can make to keep you from falling behind on your bills, or forcing you to take another crappy job you'll hate just as much to have money. That's my 2 cents anyway! Good luck!
  • amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    be responsible & just suck it up for the time being. find comfort in knowing that pretty soon you'll never have to step foot in that hellhole again! don't let the environment get the best of you.. just keep reminding yourself that you're just using them til something better comes along. good luck on your job search :)
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    The smart sensible answer would be to go in and keep your job until you find another one. But if you don't, its not the end of the world and you wouldn't have to worry about that place ever again. Just work extra hard to find another one as soon as you can. As long as your husband says its okay. I have quit a job I hated before I had another one. I didn't regret it one bit!
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You have the experience and finding a job right now on your own is hard. So i recommend going through a temp agency. I found a job within the week and got to pick my pay rate. I'm 18 making 9.50 as a temp and when I'm put on permanent in the next couple of months i move to 12-14 dollars an hour and I'm a scale clerk/admin assistant. It's a pretty good idea if you think about it!
  • possummama
    possummama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    think of the extra stress you'd be putting on your hubby if you quit. I think you should go to work
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I'm sorry it's like that for you. I hope you can find another job, but the market is rough right now. My husband has been looking for a local job for 2 years now with no luck. He continues to drive truck over the road because it puts food on the table. It is ROUGH to have to stay with a job you hate....mixed blessing, because you are kinda blessed to have a job, too...if that makes sense. :) Hope you find another one soon! Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Definitely keep the job!!! I work two jobs and have two degrees and still haven't found a job in my field. So it could take longer than you think. But keep applying and practicing your interview skills. It will come in time. I have had some great interviews and I know the right job will come along. God has plans for all of us even though we do not know what they are they will be great plans.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

just wut i was about to say. lol. id wait till i found a new job then leave em without notice.

Yes, because leaving them without notice is something a "grownup" would do. :noway:

I've had jobs I hated. The only one I ever quit without first giving notice or finding another job was a retail job when the manager told me I could have a holiday off, so I drove all the way to visit my folks (3-hour drive), and then she told me I had to come in after all and if I didn't show I'd get fired. If I'd had notice to give, I would have given it.

If you and your husband count on that money, stick it out until you find another one. He's telling you he thinks you need to stick it out, and his opinion should count more than anything you might hear from strangers on an online forum. Don't ask US for advice. Talk it through with your husband.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I would never leave a job without notice//////
    You never ever know what may happen down the line, who u may need as a reference...don't wnat to burn any bridges
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    call in sick today, take a break, and get back at it tomorrow. You shouldn't quit without having another job lined up.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is you can only do what is in your "comfort" level. If the stress of a job is making you crazy and irritable at home and bothering you that much it isn't worth it. But in saying that you should never just "not show up". Just because people at this workplace don't deserve consideration, you should not lower yourself to their behavior. Give your 2 weeks notice and leave if it is that bad, or do so when you find another job first.
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    What about finding a simliar job in a better envrionment?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I've only quit one job without having another one lined up and it was a big mistake. I was still living at home thankfully, but it still bit into my finances because I didn't want to totally depend on my parents.

I looked for two months before I finally got something else.....it was horrible, I only lasted there four days, quit and went back to my old job and had to practically beg for it back (even though they were complete A-holes which is why I quit in the first place).

Suck it up until you find another....knowing the end is near should make it a little more standable.