calorie deficit??/

Options
for ladies only....does anyone out there go over there daily calorie intake for several days during the TOM? it seems i do pretty well during the day, but once i get home..you start picking at stuff while making dinner and then i just seem to pic at stuff after dinner...especially sweets! GRRRRRRRR

Replies

• techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    for ladies only....does anyone out there go over there daily calorie intake for several days during the TOM? it seems i do pretty well during the day, but once i get home..you start picking at stuff while making dinner and then i just seem to pic at stuff after dinner...especially sweets! GRRRRRRRR
    YES! I've noticed that I munch a lot more during that TOM. I tried resisting, but now I just allot an extra 150 cals a day for chocolate (just one or two days a month) or another "treat" that I crave. It keeps me from becoming an evil spawn during those days :) I'm sorry, but carrot sticks or ice water just doesn't cut it!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Not me I struggle to eat during my tom,i lose my appetite compleatly
  • Dutchgirly
    Dutchgirly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I bloat up like a puffer fish so I eat more because I am like "what's the use?"
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Not me I struggle to eat during my tom,i lose my appetite compleatly

I'm the exact same way. Definitely thought I was the only one. I don't have any appetite what so ever.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I normally don't like sweets a whole lot but when its TOM I want brownies, cookies, ice cream and reeses peanut butter cups especially! lol
  • niknik43
    niknik43 Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm experiencing this same problem right now and decided that (as much as I don't want to BECAUSE of TOM) I have to make myself exercise so I can afford myself those extra calories. It's ironic that once I do exercise (even tho I think I don't want to...) I feel much, much better physically and emotionally and feel like I can control my eating. I came in under my calories both days of TOM (with the extra calories from exercising) which surprised me!
  • Ctyndall81
    Options
    Im a big snacker around that time too. Ive resorted to protein shakes and desert flavored yogurt to get me through! Good luck!
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I normally don't like sweets a whole lot but when its TOM I want brownies, cookies, ice cream and reeses peanut butter cups especially! lol

mmmm brownies.....*drool*

I get the depo shot but it turns out I have PMS about 2-3 weeks before I'm due for my next one. During that time I get some serious munchies. I want brownies and donuts so bad at those times. Oh and salt. Lots and lots of salt.
    I, also, usually tend to work out more during that time to feel less guilt over having something "bad".
  • crysmiss86
    crysmiss86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes. I ate almost 500 extra calories a day just because I was so hungry. But now that it is over, I'm having trouble eating all my calories. Must have something to do with metabolism and hormones.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Always!!! I crave sweets like CRAZY the last couple days of my TOM. It is HELL!!!!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Im a big snacker around that time too. Ive resorted to protein shakes and desert flavored yogurt to get me through! Good luck!

Yoplait Whips! chocolate mousse.

Best solution ever.

And yes - and believe it or not, there's a reason we crave chocolate! Dark is best - and it helps the function of your blood vessels which is part of what causes our tom-related discomforts.

So, chocolate away. :)
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    I only crave salt! (TMI)but, I had an endometrial ablasion so I don't actually get Aunt Flo...just the symptoms. Which kind of sucks, because I never know when I will get them. I find myself crying over commercials and craving potato chips :laugh: , so I know it is coming! I just try to drink extra water to compensate for the sodium intake.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah.. and keep in mind, our bodies are getting ready to go through alot of work and alot of loss in fluids and whatnot (I'm not going to get too graphic here.. you all know what I mean!). Make sure to keep up that iron, calcium & potassium ladies. I don't think it hurts us at all to have those extra cals for a couple of days, to be honest.
  • skinnylittlestylist
    Options
    Hey Lebrennen,

Absolutly! TOM is the dumps- but here is something that I learned by accident this month.

>I started to get the craving for sweets
    >I noticed I was feeling that way
    > I thought long and hard about what sweet thing I would like to have
    >then I said "ok" I've been doing sooo good and I don't want to break this so I will include whatever I want into tomorrow's meal plan and I'll plan the rest of the day around that....

So I had that icecream sandwhich I really really wanted and didn't break the weight bank.

Hang in there!!!! Great job turning to others for support and advice!:)
  • McBoBo
    McBoBo Posts: 87
    Options
    I do too and I can tell you why: After you ovulate every month your body prepares to sustain a pregancy even if fertilization does not occur...the dominant hormone in the first trimester and leading up to and from inplanation of an embryo is the devil, or medically known as Progesterone...same evil hormone that (usually) kicks in for newly pregnant moms for the first 12 weeks of the pregnancy to cause cravings and mood swings. YAY.

I had to take oral progesterone to sustain a pregnancy (had my son) and then did IVF with my daughter who just turned one...IVF is fun filled with injectable hormones (LH, FSH and actual HSG followed up with weeks of progesterone supplements). I'd like to gain a few lbs on my fertility problems.... ;O)
  • B24kdusted
    Options
    I feel you about TOM's Sweet tooth, I've found that If I eat dehyrated fruits (especially blueberries which have great anti-oxidants and anti-infamitory properties) , low fat nut of my choice and some dark chocolate bits mixed in I do much better. The dark chocolate has less sugar which usually means less cramping. :) Call me crazy, but Lindt's Chili dark chocolate is my fav for TOM because it bites the tongue just a nip plus speeds the metabolism. YAY for Chili! 200 calories over for a couple days shouldn't set you back, just flat line for a couple days... I put the scale away for TOM, and just remind myself that TOM brings a few lbs of water and he takes it with him as he goes. :)
  • knqtm104
    knqtm104 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i get so bloated i can't help myself i just gotta have some chocolate and salt.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

Yoplait Whips! chocolate mousse.

Best solution ever.

And yes - and believe it or not, there's a reason we crave chocolate! Dark is best - and it helps the function of your blood vessels which is part of what causes our tom-related discomforts.

So, chocolate away. :)

Thanks for the tip... I have to stock up this week to make it through without sabotaging my hard work :flowerforyou:
  • labrennan
    labrennan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT.:smile: ....HOPE IT DOESN'T SHOW ON THE SCALE NEXT WEEK! :sad: