C25K Week 4 Troubles?

MeganMac17
MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
I know this is not an original topic, BUT I'm wondering if anyone has any new suggestions out there!

I just finished Workout 2 of Week 4 of the C25K, and let me just say that Week 4 is kicking my butt!

I'm following the treadmill version:

00:00-5:00: Warmup walk
5:00-8:00: Run
8:00-9:30: Walk
9:30-14:30: Run
14:30-17:00: Walk
17:00-20:00: Run
20:00-21:30: Walk
21:30-26:30: Run
26:30-30:00: Cooldown Walk

I'm really having trouble doing the second 5-minute run at 21:30.

My question is: What have others felt? And what have you done to make it through? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    I had to lower my speed to get through it.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Week 4 kicked my *kitten*!!! Prior to that week, I had been increasing my speed with each run, and I could no longer sustain the higher speed for the longer durations. I repeated week 4 at the lower speed and have been pushing through ever since. My focus is on endurance rather than speed. I figure there is plenty of time to worry about speed later.

Happy running!
  • monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    i agree with everyone try lowerimg your speed
  • I ran week 4 FOR 3 WEEKS, but I broke through and moved to week 5. I was intimidated and afraid to do longer bouts of running. The truth is, I was amazed at my ability to run.

I just finished week 6 tonight! You can do it.

Even WALKING a 5k is a HUGE improvement over what you could do on W1D1, right?
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Go slow. You can always do HIIT after week 9 and it will help go faster.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    As others have said, simply slow down. If you slow down, you'll be able to do it.

Since you're on a treadmill and can easily set a pace, try backing off 15 seconds per mile and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, great! If not, back it up another 15 seconds per mile.

And yes, I mean for EVERY run portion, not just the last one. ;)

The point of C25K is to run for a certain amount of time without hating it or injuring yourself. Speed is irrelevant.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Thanks, all! I took things slowly for W4D3, and I was able to finish the last 5 minute run! I'm going to repeat all of Week 4 at the slower pace this week!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Thanks, all! I took things slowly for W4D3, and I was able to finish the last 5 minute run! I'm going to repeat all of Week 4 at the slower pace this week!

Congratulations! Feels good to accomplish a goal like that, so take your bows! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.