$21 for 2 spaghetti squash?!?!

Options
ldon37
ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
I saw a yummy recipe posted here for spaghetti squash and wanted to try it, so I grabbed a couple at the grocery store today. There was no price sign near them, and I didn't really think much about it. Well, going through the check-out line, the cashier looks surprised as she is weighing my spaghetti squash and asks me, "Is this right?" It was $21 for two squash!! Does this sound right to you all? It's been awhile since I bought any, but geez! I ended up only getting one and it cost me over $10.

Replies

• sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    No! That doesn't sound right at all! I think the last squash I bought was around $3??
    Where at do you live??
  • britt_fit
    britt_fit Posts: 169
    Options
    Wow, that's pricey, even for spaghetti squash! I don't know if you have a farmers market chain near you like Sunflower Market or Sprouts, but I got mine for about $5...
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    That's really expensive! Are you sure he didn't make a mistake or something. I don't eat squash but still that sounds like way too much.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's way too much. Usually about $3-5.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    While they are available year round it is a fall/winter squash, so they are somewhat out of season right now. Probably about $2-$3 a pound at least, so that sounds about right. They usually weigh at least 3-5 pounds.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    That does is expensive! I would have had someone check that out! lol
  • angelaclassact
    angelaclassact Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That's pricey - when it is in season and on sale it is usually 69 cents or 79 cents per pound, off sale it ranges from 99 cents to $1.25 per pound. I think you were over charged.
  • fitnessfoodtravel
    fitnessfoodtravel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have paid anywhere between 69 cents a pound to 1.79 most recently. VERY expensive!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Maybe you accidentally bought the gold-filled squash?
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I thought my tiny hawaiian papaya (which is prob. about 5 inches long) was pricey for $3.00, but that's what the price is here for the tiny papayas, so I believe it.
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    The most recent one I bought was 3 lbs and cost me $6. It was also the smallest one they had so I can easily see some being $10. It is one of those that is best to buy with the sales. What I love is when my Fresh & Easy has them they are $1.49 TOTAL ni matter the weight. They only have them when they are in season though.
  • ldon37
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback! I thought it was high. I live in the Toledo area. It was purchased at the local Giant Eagle. It rang up as $2.99/lb. I guess I need to shop around/wait for it to be in season or on sale. For the record, the recipe was really good. Someone posted the idea to add Laughing Cow Lite creamy swiss, parmesan, and small amount of lite margarine, salt and pepper. It was great! Tasted kind of like alfredo.
  • lizbestus
    lizbestus Posts: 18
    Options
    I bought one on Sunday and paid 11.73 for mine, so that sounds about right for this time of the year=)
  • ldon37
    Options
    Maybe you accidentally bought the gold-filled squash?

lol No Joke!
  • Belle_Fille
    Belle_Fille Posts: 469
    Options
    i just bought some a few weeks ago and if i remember right it was only a few bucks.
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    No more than 5 bucks! Wowzer!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    that reminds me of the time i almost bought the $6 tomato from whole foods.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I've been told they're on the pricey side - and the last time I bought one, it was about $12 if I remember right... then again, I live in Hawaii where almost everything is more expensive. (Not papayas though - to the poster who has to pay $3 for one measly papaya. They grow in abundance here - so I can get a whole bag for $1.50.)
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    My wife buys it all the time and it's about $1.00/lb. So unless you got yourself some monsters on your hand you definately overpaid. How big were these suckers. The ones my wife buys are around 5 lbs each.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely mental. I've paid as low as $ 3 for a gigantic squash.