Vibram FiveFingers

Options
I just received my Vibram FiveFinger Bikila LS's in the mail today... can't wait to go for my first run in them!!!

Who else likes barefoot running?

Replies

• fourbcrew
    fourbcrew Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    These sounds very interesting so much I went to the website... I just might need to invest in a pair of these even for work..Thanks for the heads up!!!
  • derkacs
    derkacs Posts: 19
    Options
    I LOVEE ITTTT

GOT THEM ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO!

HAVE NOT PUT MY SNEAKERS BACK ON YET!

P.s. If you like a little more cushion, less smelly feet, and no cuts/blisters, get the injinji socks.. they make it ...mmmm beautiful!!!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    me me me ! i've been doing it just barefoot on the treadmill so far. i will probably be looking into some minimalist shoes for outdoors sort of soon.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Love them. Eliminated my shin splints. :)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibrams full time now. I run in them, I walk in them, I work in them...basically I live in them.

Please do NOT push yourself. I cannot stress this enough. It takes a while to build your feet and calves up, especially if you've been wearing shoes most of your life.

I was a 12k runner in December in full cushioned "support" shoes, then hurt my knee, then moved to VFF's full time. I just ran 4 miles for the first time today. Please, please don't hurt yourself.

EDIT: I have multiple pairs. I have Injinji socks for some days. AND, most importantly, these "shoes" have completely eliminated the foot pain I've been dealing with for most of my adult life. For colder days running, I do have a pair of Mizuno Waves that have almost zero drop and fit the minimalist bill while still providing a bit of warmth.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Are you able to run on any kind of surface in them? I typically run on a path that is half concrete or pavement and half gravel. I thought these would be nice for a beach run, but I'm not lucky enough to live that close to a beach.
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    I love em!! They do hurt my toes after awhile though...I have realllly little feet and my toes aren't long enough..
  • wbgolden
    Options
    Are you able to run on any kind of surface in them? I typically run on a path that is half concrete or pavement and half gravel. I thought these would be nice for a beach run, but I'm not lucky enough to live that close to a beach.

They are good for any surface, once you get used to them. Your knees will become your shock absorbers and instantly account for any larger rocks, etc, that you encounter as you go. Having said that, the Trek Sport and KSO Trek have a different sole that work better for "trail" environments. The classics, KSO's and Bikilas are better suited for pavement and asphalt.
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

Hi, this is the site... they have several types of FiveFinger shoes which you can change around depending on activity. Mine will mainly be for running, with a bit of cardio and yoga thrown in so I got the Bikila LS's. LS's are made for the wider style foot. I tried fitting a regular Bikila before but the top was a bit tight... I tried these on in the office and they are perfect!!!

For your type of running, maybe the KSO's would be better for you? KSO means Keep Stuff Out... I think they are a sturdier style than the others...
  • GiniN
    GiniN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Advice for transitioning to FiveFingers?

I am barefoot whenever I am at home (wood & tile floors) and otherwise wear Crocs flip-flops when out in the world. Living in San Diego, this is year-round. Is it reasonable for me to expect that I should have a pretty easy transition to Fivefingers instead of the Crocs I have been wearing? Any suggestion about the model/style of FiveFingers to get?
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just started running, and was looking at getting a really good pair of running shoes. I had seen the Vibrams before, and I looked really hard at them before ultimately ending up with the Merrell Trail Glove shoes (another minimalist/barefoot type shoe).

I wore them on the treadmill yesterday and ran/walked 3 miles, and I really loved them. As mentioned above, they say you really need to get used to them, so mix them in slowly to build the different muscles you'll be using now. I'll go back and forth between my Trail Gloves and regular shoes until I build up a little bit more. I definitely felt the muscle use in my calves after the treadmill workout last night - but in a good way.

A lot of people really love their Vibrams, but I'm pretty pleased with the Trail Gloves, too (in case anybody is looking at an alternative). They are getting really great reviews from barefoot runners online.
  • wbgolden
    Options
    A lot of people really love their Vibrams, but I'm pretty pleased with the Trail Gloves, too (in case anybody is looking at an alternative). They are getting really great reviews from barefoot runners online.

My next purchase lol :)
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibrams full time now. I run in them, I walk in them, I work in them...basically I live in them.

Please do NOT push yourself. I cannot stress this enough. It takes a while to build your feet and calves up, especially if you've been wearing shoes most of your life.

I was a 12k runner in December in full cushioned "support" shoes, then hurt my knee, then moved to VFF's full time. I just ran 4 miles for the first time today. Please, please don't hurt yourself.

EDIT: I have multiple pairs. I have Injinji socks for some days. AND, most importantly, these "shoes" have completely eliminated the foot pain I've been dealing with for most of my adult life. For colder days running, I do have a pair of Mizuno Waves that have almost zero drop and fit the minimalist bill while still providing a bit of warmth.

Thanks for the warning :)

I'm thnking of just doing between 1-2 miles tonight in them to see how I go and then finishing my run in my regular shoes. I get plantar fasciitis and I'm hoping these shoes will eliminate that problem.

I actually prefer wearing no socks all the time, even in my New Balances... so I'll see how I go without the injinji's first...
  • WarriorJayne
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE mine.

I was known at work to kick off my chuck taylors and bum around the studio in sock feet. I loved it... Then just got stuck in this "must wear shoes" unhappy cloud. I stumbled across the Vibrams somehow, and thought "How cool!" and ended up picking up a pair of Bikila's to work out in and Classic Smartwool's to do day to day stuff in. I call them Monkey Toes because the Classics are black and have a no tread look to them.

Yesterday we headed to the local running store and I picked up the New Balance/Vibram hybrid the New Balance Minimus Trail. Its the same barefoot foot bed in a 'regular' shoe' look. No strange looks (Ill miss that)
    But my pinky toe likes to revolt against the Vibram's 5 finger look... tries to migrate in with the other toes, so hopefully using the Minimus Trail, the Bikila & the Classic will help train it correctly.
  • wbgolden
    Options
    I get plantar fasciitis and I'm hoping these shoes will eliminate that problem.

Thankfully, I've never had to deal with that, but I have heard that they should help with eliminating, or at least mitigating, PF!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warning :)

I'm thnking of just doing between 1-2 miles tonight in them to see how I go and then finishing my run in my regular shoes. I get plantar fasciitis and I'm hoping these shoes will eliminate that problem.

I actually prefer wearing no socks all the time, even in my New Balances... so I'll see how I go without the injinji's first...

I would suggest to not even go that far, unless you are already a mid to forefoot striker. There are a lot of little muscles that get worn out very quickly when you jump over to vibrams.
    I started slow, but it was still months before I could run 2 days in a row. But I was up to about 5 miles in them before winter hit.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options

But my pinky toe likes to revolt against the Vibram's 5 finger look... tries to migrate in with the other toes, so hopefully using the Minimus Trail, the Bikila & the Classic will help train it correctly.

this is why I havent jumped on the ibram bandwagon... I cant stand anything between my toes and then I have this defiant/deformed pinky toe that does its own thing ( imagine the wandering eye, I have a wandering pinky toe)...

Is there something like the vibram without the spaces for the toes....where all 5 appendages could just be.... like a sock?

ETA:

I need a performance sock that is sort of like injinji's comfort split toe sock..THAT would be as close to perfect as I could expect
    http://www.injinji.com/tetratsok/split_toe_mc.htm
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    this is why I havent jumped on the ibram bandwagon... I cant stand anything between my toes and then I have this defiant/deformed pinky toe that does its own thing ( imagine the wandering eye, I have a wandering pinky toe)...

Is there something like the vibram without the spaces for the toes....where all 5 appendages could just be.... like a sock?

ETA:

I need a performance sock that is sort of like injinji's comfort split toe sock..THAT would be as close to perfect as I could expect
    http://www.injinji.com/tetratsok/split_toe_mc.htm

You might want to try some of the other minimalist shoes out there. There are a few that still offer a similar "barefoot feel" experience without the toes separation. I have been using the Merrell Trail Glove, and they have Vibram bottoms, but a regular shoe look (zero toe to heel rise). They are designed to be worn without socks, and are really comfortable with a roomy toe box that may accomodate your wayward pinky toe. There are some other options out there as well.

Eventually, I will probably end up with a pair of Vibrams, as well.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    my google search came up with these...I may have to try them out

http://zemgear.shptron.com/products/productdetail/Playa High/part_number=6000/6944.0.1.1.0.0.0.0.0?
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Love my Bikila LS's which I got about 2 weeks ago. Have been working out in them and running sprints. Have even done all of the hopping/jumping in the Insanity workouts in them. Great for kettlebell work. Love em!