Hi, I need some help -_-

Options
Ok so Ive been struggling with my weight pretty much my whole life. I'm only eighteen and weight about 300 pounds. Before Christmas I lost almost 40 pounds and I've gained it all back. Its such a depressing moment to see yourself look so fat and disgusting. Looking for stuff that are black and not enjoying the good things in life like the beach of miami. I honestly dont know where to start. I feel like im depressed and addicted to food. I went to the doctor about a week ago and was told I have high blood pressure. I honestly want to do a change that changed my life forever. Luckily all my other tests came out fine. I just want to live a normal life and I know im lucky im young and have a lot of potential. But I dont know how to use it. Im so scared of loosing the weight and keeping it off. How do I keep of the weight I lose. I feel like I have this never ending addiction with food and once I start eating something unhealthy I just cant stop and I start eating like a maniac. I eat most of my things hidden away from my family and I honestly cant take it any more.

This is the first time I write all of this down so thank you very much for reading.
Add me if you would like.

Replies

• weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Hello! This is a wonderful site. I'll be on here everyday. We are all here to lose weight whether it be a little or a lot. I am here to lose 200 pounds and keep it off. There are lots of helpful tips on here. I'm sending you a friend request. First start off with logging what you eat every day..and then it will be easy to see what you need to cut down on. After that start adding in the exercise you need. I'm still at that part..I just started a couple weeks ago. :) Good luck to you!!!!
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    Hi there and welcome.

I've been where you are...hell I'm still partially there. But you've come to the right place. You've come somewhere, where people understand what you're going through, and they never look at you with judgement. There is so much support on this site, so many tools and it really is an amazing thing. I've never experienced anything quite like it.

I've yo-yo'd with my weight so much. I'm 23 (almost 24) and I feel like I've been overweight my whole life. I'm scared to be at my goal weight, and I'm scared of having to work hard and failing. I don't think I could take another failure. But in the end, what really do we have to be afraid of? Getting what we really want?

There comes a point in all of our lives where we really have to look at ourselves and decide, you know what? I want more. I want more for myself and more for my life. And it sounds like you've done that.

I'm not saying the road is going to be easy, because it's not. We already know that. But we still have yet to find out what's on the other side of all that hard work. Sure there are setbacks, but if we decide we can do it, there really isn't anything that can hold us back.

Good luck to you. I know you'll do great. Don't get down on yourself, because it's too easy to do that. If you have a bad day, come on here. There will always be someone here to support you and pull you up.
  • Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    Hi there....

Did you discuss this with your doctor? I think you may need some professional help as it appears as though you may have an eating disorder.

Please don't be discouraged and depressed....there is hope for all of us. My suggestion is to seek professional advice. We can all make suggestions for you but none of us are professionals.

God Bless
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Like any addiction, admitting you need help is the first step toward recovery. Now I think you need to look at yourself and find out what's causing your addiction. It might be helpful for you to keep a food journal-- MFP's food log is a great way to keep track of what and how much you are eating, but I think it might be important for you to look at how you're feeling when you eat-- bored, lonely, anxious, hungry, etc. etc. Once you understand that, you might feel better equipped to know how and what to change.

Good luck and congrats on joining the site and taking that first step! Feel free to add me if you like
  • Verasno4
    Verasno4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hi girlfriend, I am a grandma, who has put on a bunch of weight with everyone of my grandchildren. One night I was watching channel 11. A woman was talking about not dieting but making healthy choices. Her name was Zonya Foco. She is amazing. She was heavy once too. Anyway I bought her book which by the way reads like a novel. She makes so much sence and her book is about finding 1 good habit. The name of the book is WATER WITH LEMON. You can actually go online and read some of the first pages. It is now my bible. I give copies of it to my friends. It is about courage and NOT DIETING. i really hope you will try it. Good luck to you. Also I would reward myself by reading one chapter of this book if I excercised and lost a pound or 2. It was so worth it.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

First of all, welcome to the site. You may very well have just taken the first step towards taking back your life. You will find many supportive people here. I've been heavy all my life and have made the decision to get healthy and to change my lifestyle.

First things first, I think that in order for you to take the weight off and keep it off, you are going to have to commit to NOT just losing weight. You have to commit to changing your life and lifestyle and getting healthy. Once you do that, the weight loss will come with some hard work. Here are some suggestions:

1. Use the tools here to set goals and determine what your net Calories should be.
    2. Eliminate whatever sweet things you drink and replace it with water - lots of it. Water not only will help flush out your system, it will aid with weight loss and it will keep you feeling full.
    3. Start journaling. Keep track of every calorie you take in with food and drinks so that you can see where the problem areas are.
    4. Start getting some exercise. Start with walking, and gradually increase your distance, speed, and time you exercise. If you have access to a pool, that is a great way to burn calories without putting too much stress on your body.
    5. Reduce your salt intake. Salt reduces your ability to lose weight.
    6. Invest in a heart rate monitor to track calories burned.
    7. Set small, realistic goals and celebrate your accomplishments. Build up to bigger goals after you start being successful with the smaller ones.
    8. Add friends here from MFP (feel free to add me if you'd like) who will help encourage you. Reach out and ask for help.
    9. If possible get a workout buddy to help motivate you.
    10. Recognize that some days will be better than others and there will be bad days. Just put them behind you and move on.
    11. Recognize that this will be a problem all of your life and you will have to work at it, beyond the time that it takes you to get to your goal weight.

Good luck to you!
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It's about developing a new healthy lifestyle. Start with just a few changes like no soda and walking a few miles a day then add something else after a few weeks. You're young, be patient with yourself. Be consistent and forgive yourself when you fall and get back to being healthy fast.
  • tho0505
    tho0505 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place! Remember, the 1st step is hardest of all and you've already done that. Just get in a good habit of tracking your food intake daily, no matter if you went over or not.

The first month I would get frustrated with myself after I drank a lot of Mountain Dew and ate like crap. But the great thing about this site is you can reach your daily goal the next day. (even after a rough day) Just get back on the horse and keep tracking your food intake. In my opinion this whole weight loss battle begins here with 3 hurdles to get over:

1. Controlling the tracking (the good and the bad) of your food. No matter if your gaining or losing weight.
    2. Controlling your food intake. (saying no to the Mountain Dew for lunch and reaching for water in my case, or maybe not eating another brownie)
    3. Controlling your exercise (once you become obsessive with tracking your food, its so easy with this site to set goals of exercise and try and reach them. for me, I love the fact that I can work out for an hour or so and then it frees up calories so I don't need to worry about eating an extra brownie)
  • spoiledwifenikki
    Options
    hi and welcome to mfp this site is awsome the people on here are so nice and supportive you have defiantly come to the right place for help I am on here everyday on and off even sometimes to 2 and 3 am so I would be glad to be there for you as much as I can. I have been on here since march 6th and I am totally addicted to this site.
  • spoiledwifenikki
    Options
    my husband is also on here he weighs over 300lbs and he is only 24yrs so he would also be glad to go through this journey with you you can request him if you like fermin_nadal is his user name
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    Options
    When I have a serious craving...I look at a picture I took of myself on my cell phone. It works!!