The difference between the people who keep at it and the peo

Options
Anyone can start a diet, get really excited, get really pumped and they'll have quite a bit of success for awhile. But, after awhile, the excitement and newness of it fades and being on a diet isn't as fun as it was in the beginning. If you've already gone through this phase, how did you get through it? In your opinion, what is the difference between the people who stick it out and the people who stop?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    In the past I planned it all out to the T. This time, I was already using MFP to track food and stumbled on the community aspect by accident. I had NO idea all this was here. So, I started incorporating it into what I was doing and, in no time, I was in full swing. The shift chose ME this time. Instead of the other way around.

I think a huge portion of my success is due to the support of this community. The tools are invaluable but you guys are what really gave me the strength I needed in the beginning. It felt almost TOO easy. I'm still a little in shock about my successful weight loss thus far. But now I am armed with the INNER strength to keep it going.

All in all, it just feels like I'm finally ready. :)
  • kevbrinks
    kevbrinks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't think of a diet as a temporary thing. Regulating how much you eat is a lifestyle change, not a fad.

Vary your workout. Maybe take a break from jogging and try biking. Summer is here, so try swimming or rock climbing or hiking!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I think people who make sure theyre still eating all the major food groups, getting their vegetables/fruit, protein etc and trying to make an actual dietary lifestyle change rather than just cutting calories, are more likely to be able to stick at it long term without getting fed up and frustrated with it
  • AZiemba
    AZiemba Posts: 17
    Options
    This is the first time I'm losing weight without feeling like I'm on a diet. I can honestly say I think I've found a tool that will help me be conscious about good eating habits for life. I don't ever feel restricted and seeing my good eating habits and exercise habits logged into a diary for a day, a week, a month, and so on is so addicting! I think once you take away all the hooplah that is out there for "dieters" you realize it is as simple as calories in, calories out. That's all you need to know. I feel great and I don't think I could ever go back to mindlessly shoveling chips into my mouth. That's not to say I'll never shovel chips into my mouth, I'll just know exactly how many are going in there and what it looks like as part of my food diary.
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that too. People start their programs in January, then come mid-February you notice people dropping like flies. We should be proud we have stuck with it this long! It is a daily struggle and that's for sure. What keeps me going is constantly reminding myself of how good I'll feel when I hit my goal!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Don't think of a diet as a temporary thing. Regulating how much you eat is a lifestyle change, not a fad.

Vary your workout. Maybe take a break from jogging and try biking. Summer is here, so try swimming or rock climbing or hiking!
    this, its when you have what I call the "aha moment" its when you put it all together and say you know what its time to make this a life long thing and not just make it nice to have a healthy body but make it a necessity to have it.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Agree with all of this except, summer is not here yet! But we can dream!
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I'm losing weight without feeling like I'm on a diet. I can honestly say I think I've found a tool that will help me be conscious about good eating habits for life. I don't ever feel restricted and seeing my good eating habits and exercise habits logged into a diary for a day, a week, a month, and so on is so addicting! I think once you take away all the hooplah that is out there for "dieters" you realize it is as simple as calories in, calories out. That's all you need to know. I feel great and I don't think I could ever go back to mindlessly shoveling chips into my mouth. That's not to say I'll never shovel chips into my mouth, I'll just know exactly how many are going in there and what it looks like as part of my food diary.

Amen!!! I feel the exact same way. For me, MFP isn't a diet... it's a lifestyle change.

People tend to see "diets" as a means to an end that is some magical number on a scale. To be successful, I think you need to look at the bigger picture of health, energy, confidence, etc as being the end goal.

I will say, though, that all the New Year's folks who have fallen off the wagon are making my gym less of a madhouse for those of us who are in it for the long haul.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I was pumped and stuck at it for the first 40 lbs, then I got complacent, but as you can see, I have gotten that ticker moving again. Mostly, because now I feel like an *kitten* if I don't use the knowledge I have gained. And even when I was complacent, I was easily maintaining the weight I had lost (and did so for almost a year) so I finally told myself, HEY!!!! If maintenance is so do-able, and you KNOW how to get to your goal weight, then WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? I got back into the swing of things, and I don't plan to go back to maintenance until I hit my goal weight range (155-165) (idk what will look good)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Agree with all of this except, summer is not here yet! But we can dream!

summer weather is here! For me at least (sorry if yours ins't yet:ohwell: )
  • rachel1975f
    rachel1975f Posts: 894
    Options
    I think people who make sure theyre still eating all the major food groups, getting their vegetables/fruit, protein etc and trying to make an actual dietary lifestyle change rather than just cutting calories, are more likely to be able to stick at it long term without getting fed up and frustrated with it

Very well said. If you are going for some kind of fad diet or quick weight loss gimmick, you are not going to stick with it. You really have to think about what you eat, and not just try to cut you calories to some ridiculously low level. Those who try this are doomed to fail...
  • ski3r4life
    ski3r4life Posts: 206
    Options
    Wow! I really loved seeing what everyone has to say! I supsect that a lot of people quit because their goals are so entirely focused on the short-term instead of the long-term. One bad day, one bout of depression, one bad mood, one temporary plateau - and the next thing you know people are dropping like flies. It's as if people are forever stuck in the helpless/victim mode and they think that one defeat is the equivalent of total defeat. So many people seem to lack the ability to think positive - which isn't surprising.

When you think about it, so many people here are here because they want to lose weight. And a lot us started off with body image issues / self-esteem issues. If I lumped all of us into one category and came up with some generalizations, I would say that we tend to : doubt ourselves, not trust our instincts, and not believe in ourselves.

From that perspective, it's really not surprising that so few seem to actually follow things through. I think that the ones who do it follow it through are the ones who have truly decided that they need a change, both a physical and a mental change.

Thanks again everyone for all your thoughts! I loved what everyone had to say!
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    People tend to see "diets" as a means to an end that is some magical number on a scale. To be successful, I think you need to look at the bigger picture of health, energy, confidence, etc as being the end goal.

^Yes!^ It's a diet when it's not sustainable. When you spend inordinate amounts of time working out every single day, all the while denying yourself some or all of your favorite foods because they're not healthy, you might have short-term success, but you're setting yourself up for failure in the long run. Are you really going to live off of carrot sticks and protein shakes for the rest of your life? Are you really going to work out 2 hours every day for the rest of your life? For many people, I'd be willing to bet the answer is "No way!" As someone who's been through this type of weight loss (and gained back 10lbs afterwards), I can speak from my own experience: that's not a life I want to live!

If it's a lifestyle change, your goals change, too--maybe from a specific number to a range or a size or an overall feeling of fitness and well-being.

I know that this time around is different for me. It's rare that I feel hungry or deprived. My husband and I cook, eat, and enjoy a LOT of delicious food. I eat chocolate and cheese, put real sugar in my coffee, and drink alcohol on the weekends--I haven't cut any foods completely out, but I enjoy the more indulgent items in moderation.

Rather than focusing my efforts on trying to stick with a gym membership (not for me) or running (tough on my knees), I am paying more attention to how active I can make my lifestyle. I often make choices to do things the old-fashioned or less convenient way--walking to the store instead of driving, carrying a shopping bag or basket instead of pushing a buggy, chopping fresh veggies instead of buying them frozen or precut, kneading a big ball of bread dough instead of buying a loaf at the store, making and then cleaning up big messes cooking from scratch in the kitchen instead of making no mess with a throw-away bag of take-out. I rarely bother looking for the closest parking space, and I spend a lot less time watching TV and surfing the Internet than many people my age.

All of this is sustainable for me--a lifestyle change for sure--because I don't look at life the same way I did before. My values have changed. I like the idea of being/staying thin and pretty, but I'm much more concerned with being healthy and happy. When I reach my goal weight (which is really just the middle of a reasonable range for my height and frame, and which is also really just an approximation of my happy size), I won't be thinking, "Great! Now I can finally [insert unhealthy habit here] again!" I'll be thinking, "Wow, that was fun and easy. I could totally get used to this." :)
  • zenfocus
    zenfocus Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I went from 164 to weighing 120 when I was 18... I kept the weight off for two years. I did gain it all back but now I am in the process of losing it again! I would consider this a temporary setback -- having to lose my weight all over again. I guess I might be considered the classic yoyo dieter. Oh well. I was pretty successful at keeping off the weight until I hit a stressful period in my life. The real way to keep the weight off once you've lost it is to continue to track all your food. As mundane as it sounds that's really the way to do it. The weeks and months I decided to stop writing down my food during my maintenance period was when I gained it all back. Lack of awareness.
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'll be the one to go against the grain and say I was one of those people. For a year I busted my butt, changed my entire lifestyle and had lost nearly 90 pounds. Then my 4 year old passed away and over the course of the last year I gained back 30 pounds. I stopped all exercise and gradually my diet became lax but it wasn't because I wanted to, there were just so many factors contributing to the weight gain. Now I'm not making excuses for myself nor anyone else but sometimes, it isn't just about falling off the wagon because you don't care, or that it is too difficult or that you failed. In some instances life can through you something so traumatic that the last thing on your mind is counting the food that goes into your body much less anything else. We are only human and we falter. None of us should be so quick to judge anyone nor the unknown reasons behind there inability to adhere to a lifestyle when life is constantly changing. Some of us are just slower to adapt then others but we will adapt and prevail.

I got through it and here I am again, focused and even a stronger person then I was 2 years ago and finally with a clear head. Sometimes, it just takes a little time, compassion and support to get back on the wagon but if you are one of these people that know what they want and are willing to work for it, then you will be exactly where you want to be when you want it. The key is never losing site of where you were and where you WILL be again.
  • crazymgpilot
    crazymgpilot Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love the support and answers and guidance that people put on this site. Not only is it a lifestyle change that is different than a diet, but it's the people you assosciate with, those that hold you accountable to keep you going. We tend to attract to ourselves people that are like minded. If we are part of this community, it's because we want people that want the same thing, health, happiness, and a better life and lifestyle. Before, I know I didn't put the lifestyle change as part of the "diet" plans and always gained the weight back, because nobody around me was watching their weight or tracking their food either. Now, my wife and I are both of the same mindset to track our calories and change our life...when that happens...it works! Keep up the good work and again, great advice everybody!
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that happened to you.. you are stronger than i could ever imagine being ... if my child passed away i dont know how i would continue living much less thrive... i wish you all the peace and happiness you can get out of life, noone should have to go through that ever.
    I suppose I'll be the one to go against the grain and say I was one of those people. For a year I busted my butt, changed my entire lifestyle and had lost nearly 90 pounds. Then my 4 year old passed away and over the course of the last year I gained back 30 pounds. I stopped all exercise and gradually my diet became lax but it wasn't because I wanted to, there were just so many factors contributing to the weight gain. Now I'm not making excuses for myself nor anyone else but sometimes, it isn't just about falling off the wagon because you don't care, or that it is too difficult or that you failed. In some instances life can through you something so traumatic that the last thing on your mind is counting the food that goes into your body much less anything else. We are only human and we falter. None of us should be so quick to judge anyone nor the unknown reasons behind there inability to adhere to a lifestyle when life is constantly changing. Some of us are just slower to adapt then others but we will adapt and prevail.

I got through it and here I am again, focused and even a stronger person then I was 2 years ago and finally with a clear head. Sometimes, it just takes a little time, compassion and support to get back on the wagon but if you are one of these people that know what they want and are willing to work for it, then you will be exactly where you want to be when you want it. The key is never losing site of where you were and where you WILL be again.