Last night

Options
After I had eaten all the right things during the day...and had a pretty filling dinner, I found myself constantly goin to the kitchen and looking at all the chips/cookies, food in general that was in the cabinet..that I have not been able to eat. I ate a bit of cereal, and then some grapes..but kept going back to wanting to just sit down and eat...graze on the potatoe chips, cookies, anything...that i havent had in this past month of eating right. I finally went to bed, the only way I knew to solve that problem.

I have had an extremely stressful week at work, and even though I have kept up my exercise routine, last nite, I did not do the normal 2 miles on the treadmill..but instead opted for the 30 day shred, and then a xanax.

Do you think, that maybe the stress is what is making me want to eat? The change of exercise routine? Its about to be that TOM...could that be it...or maybe just time for me to eat something out of my ordinary, and go ahead and get it out of my system? God, I have tried so hard, and done so well..I soooo dont want to fall off the wagon, because last time I did, it took me months to get back here....

Replies

• live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You did great avoiding the bad stuff and going to bed. We dont want you to fall off the wagon either girl hang on, were here for you!!!
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi Boobee - it definitely sounds like you have some compulsiveness going on. To get to the root of the problem, I have found that sittind in a quiet space and taking a moment to myself helps me to get to why I am feeling the urge to eat. For it to work, I have to be totally honest with myself. I have found that the urge to eat usually stems from being bored or anxious. Acknowledging the feelings usually pushes the urge to eat away. It takes some practice getting in touch with your deeper feelings but it works wonders.

Also, it could very well be any of those things that you listed - TOM, body craving somehing diff, etc. I always say that if your body is truly craving something eat it in moderation. Moderation is key :smile: And you need to remind yourself that last night was just one night in your life. Having one off night is not going to ruin anything - just remember that today is a new day and that you have the chance to make it better. Hang in there :happy:
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    Until you reach your goal, how about removing all the "bad stuff" from your home. If it isn't there....you can't eat it! :) Good luck!
  • xavierjohn05
    xavierjohn05 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Stress can cause a lot of people to eat. I know that food can be comforting so when people are stressed they can want more food. Also with the change in workout the 30day shred is a lot more strenuous than walking 2 miles, so your body may be wanting to regain some energy that you used up and therefore wanting some food. That and I know I for one like munching on things when I watch tv, thats why when I'm watching tv now I'm almost always chewing gum (can't eat if you have gum in your mouth).

Also it sounds like you have been depriving yourself of things that you really enjoy eating (chips and cookies), this is long term a bad way to lose weight. You need to make sure you reward yourself from time to time, not gouge but reward. I used to cut weight when I was wrestling in HS, and I would eat really healthy and work out all week to make weight, but then after my match/tournament on the weekend I would go out and get a meal from my favorite restaraunt, not eating to where I couldn't eat anymore but enough to say to myself, 'good job this week.' So make sure if you have deprived yourself of cookies or chips take a day during the week and buy an individual serving bag of chips or cookies and eat it, believe me it will go a long way (just don't buy a big bag).
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Until you reach your goal, how about removing all the "bad stuff" from your home. If it isn't there....you can't eat it! :) Good luck!

Yes..I KNOW..but I have a teenager, and I buy it for her. I know its not good for her either, but I still want her to have stuff that she likes to eat. Usually doesnt bother me like it did last nite.
  • boobee32
    Options
    Stress can cause a lot of people to eat. I know that food can be comforting so when people are stressed they can want more food. Also with the change in workout the 30day shred is a lot more strenuous than walking 2 miles, so your body may be wanting to regain some energy that you used up and therefore wanting some food. That and I know I for one like munching on things when I watch tv, thats why when I'm watching tv now I'm almost always chewing gum (can't eat if you have gum in your mouth).

Also it sounds like you have been depriving yourself of things that you really enjoy eating (chips and cookies), this is long term a bad way to lose weight. You need to make sure you reward yourself from time to time, not gouge but reward. I used to cut weight when I was wrestling in HS, and I would eat really healthy and work out all week to make weight, but then after my match/tournament on the weekend I would go out and get a meal from my favorite restaraunt, not eating to where I couldn't eat anymore but enough to say to myself, 'good job this week.' So make sure if you have deprived yourself of cookies or chips take a day during the week and buy an individual serving bag of chips or cookies and eat it, believe me it will go a long way (just don't buy a big bag).

Oh, I AM having a treat, but it is a low cal treat like a ww ice cream or something. Last nite though, I didnt want THAT ...wanted the forbidden stuff..lol
  • boobee32
    Options
    Hi Boobee - it definitely sounds like you have some compulsiveness going on. To get to the root of the problem, I have found that sittind in a quiet space and taking a moment to myself helps me to get to why I am feeling the urge to eat. For it to work, I have to be totally honest with myself. I have found that the urge to eat usually stems from being bored or anxious. Acknowledging the feelings usually pushes the urge to eat away. It takes some practice getting in touch with your deeper feelings but it works wonders.

Also, it could very well be any of those things that you listed - TOM, body craving somehing diff, etc. I always say that if your body is truly craving something eat it in moderation. Moderation is key :smile: And you need to remind yourself that last night was just one night in your life. Having one off night is not going to ruin anything - just remember that today is a new day and that you have the chance to make it better. Hang in there :happy:

I DEFINATELY think it was the stress of this week at work...finally just coming to a head. Yesterday was the worst day of all. Today is abit more chilled...maybe it wont be so bad tonite.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am faced with this dilemma everyday boobee and fully understand the internal struggles you face. So proud of you for staying strong last night. Wish I could have done the same.

Like you I was doing great up until about 3 p.m. yesterday. After that a loving neighbor came by with a box of delicious Baklava goodies for my husband, of which I devoured at least 8 - maybe 10. I figured that was about 3, 500 calories worth of food on top of everything else I ate yesterday.

This is the very reason I don't keep junk food in my house - I don't trust myself - even though I've not been actively bulimic for decades, the mind-set and urges are still there. And when the foods are there, the temptation is overwhelming. It's easier to just keep it out of the house. Like my mother says, out of sight, out of mind.

Because I blew it so badly I didn't even bother to finish my food diary. I mean really, could I bear to see the figures of the damage I had done???? NOOOOO!!!

Of course, I am resilient like a rubber band and easily forgave myself and decided to move on. I went to bed vowing to do much better today and so far so good.