Need more Protein!

Options
Since I've started this site and it's been keeping track of my protein intake I've confirmed that I'm definetely not getting enough. Some days I still need 40 grams! I exercise 5 days a week (cardio) and recently started the Shred to add more strength training in. I've been a vegetarian for 9 years now and obviously it's a struggle to get protein since obviously most of the time a large amount of it is found in meat. Does anyone have any advice on what to try eating / eating more of (not meat lol) to get more? I know that beans, soy, peanut butter... etc are options but it doesn't seem to have enough. What do you think of Protein Shakes or Bars? They've scared me in the past because of the calories in them but I'm also noticing on most days it's hard for me to reach my 1200 calorie goal anyway.

Thanks!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You really don't have much weight to lose at all, so I hope you have your goals set to lose .5 lb to 1lb per week. And you're right that you are going to need to add some strength training.

Can you eat dairy? Lots of lowfat dairy options have a good amount of protein in them: Greek yogurt, regular yogurt, etc.

Legumes tend to have a good amount of protein in them, too.

The protein powders aren't bad at all!
  • swbmcknight
    Options
    Greek Yogurt!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is a great option- relatively affordable, easy to make and, depending on the brand/flavor, tasty. I drink the Optimum Nutrition 100% whey- it has only 130 calories and 24 grams of protein per serving. It is a dairy by-product, so if you're Vegan I'd advise trying a Soy protein mix, although I have to admit I've never tried it.
  • emersmurf
    emersmurf Posts: 27
    Options
    I eat a lot of low-fat dairy, usually light n fit yogurt or cottage cheese. But I've also added the Special K protein water mixes. Only 30 cals. 5 g of protein. Nuts are good too.
  • tonisteedley
    Options
    I Love potein shakes.. I only order one kind. It's by Dymatize Nutrition ; Elite Gourmet Whey and Casein blend. They have all kinds of flavors, I always buy the Chocolate Peanut Butter. It's Amazing. Taste like your drinking a Milkshake. You can buy it from All star nutrition.

Calories: 125
    total Fat ; 1.5 G
    Sodium ; 170 mg
    carbs ; 6 g
    Dietary fiber ; 1g
    Sugars; 0
    Potassium; 230g
    Protein ; 21g

I mix mine with skim milk, 1 tbl of Peanut butter and some ice and blend it up and it taste so good that you feel like your eating something bad. lol

Just a thought !!! I love this stuff
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    There is an organic protein shake called 'Orgain' that has 16 grams of protein. Not only does it taste great, but it is jam packed with lots of good stuff. There is more protein in some other stuff, but Orgain is dubbed 'the healthy drink'. If you want some, I would recommend using Amazon to buy it, as it is cheaper there :) I also enjoy the Special K Protein Water. That has 5 grams of protein.

There are also high protein wheat pastas out there, which might be helpful for some days/meals.

While looking through my journal....I see....
    Cheese
    Milk
    Peppers
    Whole Wheat Anything
    Baby Spinach
    Eggs

I know some of these are dairy, but Ive met such a wide range of vegetarians, I thought Id just toss out several different ones in case any of them fit into your diet.
  • OUKoala23
    OUKoala23 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback! I do eat some diary so I would like to give some of the shakes / mixes a try. I haven't tried the Greek yogurt yet either... but sounds good to check out. I'm hoping with adding more protein I'll see a difference in how I feel and / or lose weight. That would be great!
  • dbuie
    dbuie Posts: 1
    Options
    I just bought the Eat Clean Diet cookbook and the author mentions Hemp protein as being vegetarian, low in carbs, high in protein. You can add the hemp hearts or hemp powder to cold or hot cereals, salads, sandwiches, pitas, wraps, desserts, stir frieds and baked goods.

The author, Tosco Reno, also lists these proteins: soy, legumes, nuts, seeds, sea vegetables and seaweed, grains such as amaranth quinoa and oatmeal, spirulina, bee pollen and royal jelly.

I have used the spirulina before and love to use it to make fruit smoothies.

I really like the variety of diet suggestions in this book.