SLEEP APNEA

Options
RTricia
RTricia Posts: 720
Searching for some MFP friends who have sleep apnea...

Add me?

Replies

• bluesuntrader
    Options
    Central, Obstructive or Mixed?
  • coachpete40
    Options
    Hi I am pete and I have had sleep apnea since 97, but I hope to be off my cpap machine soon please feel free to add me as a friend,
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm Nate, I have had sleep Apnea since 1996, just like Pete i am ready to be off my machine, but it may take a while. I just added you fyi.
  • RTricia
    Options
    Obstructive... I think.... I fluctuate between needing 4-13 on my CPAP....
  • conmar51
    conmar51 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a sleep apnea patient, hoping the weight loss will rid me of it. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • RTricia
    Options
    I have severe sleep apnea as well - I haven't slept with my CPAP in months and I'm needing to go back ... but I hope to find some friends who are also trying to lose weight and stay well-rested in the process.
  • bluesuntrader
    Options
    Obstructive sleep apnea is almost always physical, meaning due to being overweight, however sometimes you can be skinny as a rail, but have some sort of anomaly, extra tissue, etc.

Central is due to the brain, and thats the one you have to watch out for. I hope for all your sakes its simply due to weight, and not the noodle.
  • RTricia
    Options
    I've had sleep apnea since I was 22-ish... even before this ugly 17-18 pounds extra. I wonder if its my noodle.... lack of sleep makes my depression thick. Perhaps i need to quit posting for the day knowing I'm tired. Thanks all for being there! I'm just hoping for more sleep apnea friends who can relate on a sleep and perhaps fitness/weight loss level.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yep, my CPAP machine is one of those things on my list to be rid of. Right next to cholesterol and blood pressure meds. I did not need the machine until I gain a ton of weight. So I assume once I lose some more I will be off that sucker.
  • bluesuntrader
    Options
    I am a respiratory therapist, and have lots of experience with sleep disorders. If i can help answer any questions, I will be glad to help. good night fitness pals.
  • cathie68
    cathie68 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow, what a timely topic for me! I just today had my results from my sleep clinic.........moderate apnea, 20 awakenings. I'm 42 and currently 20 lbs overweight, lost 9 since January. I sure hope the cpap helps me get a restful sleep. I don't think I have ever had a good nights sleep.

Cathie
  • ForTheFam
    ForTheFam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm a Sleep Apnea survivor so to say. I had obstructive and they said the BiPap won't work well. I had an ENT remove a portion of my soft pallet and some septum work a few month back. Between the weight loss and surgery I am back in bed w/ my wife snore free and sleeping much better. I'm glad the insurance wouldn't step-up and pay for the bipap but would pay for the surgery...can't imagine life 'on the machine' again. Weight loss was the biggest help even beyond the sleep apnea.
This discussion has been closed.