HELP! night binge eating

Options
Hi everone, im sure this has been on here before. i have been doing pretty well during the day with staying under my calorie limit and eating healthy, but during the night i get bored and start raiding the fridge! I feel that this is the only thing keeping me from getting healthy and staying healthy. Any suggestions for avoiding this. Please and thanks.

Replies

• roebuck1908
    roebuck1908 Posts: 185
    Options
    try wearing boxing gloves in bed it may make it harder to raid the fridge. Could also stop some other night time activities.
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    First, its just a new habit to learn, and new habits are hard to achieve. You have to practice it several times to lose the old habit. With that said, I too can eat enough for an army at night time. I have been using the "dessert delights" gum to keep the mouth going, and extra glass of water, and doing a few extra things around the house, and then to bed. You need to find something that will keep you occupied so you are not bored...a new hobby, a quick walk around the block, puzzle, sit ups, etc. You can do it!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Finding something else to occupy you in the evenings is the easiest thing. Could be exercise, could be signing up for a class, could be volunteer work, maybe some project around the house or the apartment you've been putting off.

If it may not just be down to boredom, check your food diary. Maybe you need to spread your calories out more across the day, or make sure you get enough protein and healthy fats at dinner?
  • tdc7591
    tdc7591 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i like the gum idea. do you think eating supper later (i usually eat around 5) would help hold me over until bedtime? I'm not active at all during the evening so how much of this food would be stored as fat?
  • tdc7591
    Options
    Thanks, i like the gum idea. do you think eating supper later (i usually eat around 5) would help hold me over until bedtime? I'm not active at all during the evening so how much of this food would be stored as fat?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

Gum works well for some folks, but it makes me hungrier.

I'm not at all sold on the theory that eating after a certain time of night makes any difference to your weight. If you think eating dinner later would be better for you, go ahead and try it!

Or, maybe break up dinner into two portions and eat one at 5 and the other at 8? Might help with keeping your blood sugar more stable.
  • mgibson9
    mgibson9 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm in college so i always end up eating late :( hmm i would try to eat a later dinner, maybe work out before dinner and then eat because i'm always hungry after i work out. If you eat later you won't be as hungry :) i'm going to try to do this
  • isaiahxoxoender
    Options
    I had the same problem before but I finally had to talk myself out of food. I also go to bed early and at the same time every night. The passed two days I've been getting up and walking towards the fridge, I look and than I ask myself "Is it really worth it?". What also helps me is getting rid of any junk food!!! Its so much easier to say no when its not in the house!
  • itschristina
    Options
    Hi everone, im sure this has been on here before. i have been doing pretty well during the day with staying under my calorie limit and eating healthy, but during the night i get bored and start raiding the fridge! I feel that this is the only thing keeping me from getting healthy and staying healthy. Any suggestions for avoiding this. Please and thanks.

I have the same problem! And I have insomnia, so when I wake up during the night, I eat each time I wake up too! I burn 900 calories a day and then eat WAY more :(
  • isaiahxoxoender
    Options
    I eat dinner around 7:30 and it makes me less likely to want to eat anything before bed. I also chew gum and it helps me.

Gum works well for some folks, but it makes me hungrier.

I'm not at all sold on the theory that eating after a certain time of night makes any difference to your weight. If you think eating dinner later would be better for you, go ahead and try it!

Or, maybe break up dinner into two portions and eat one at 5 and the other at 8? Might help with keeping your blood sugar more stable.
  • Wendyhall03
    Options
    I want you to think about something !!! :) Think about how you feel before you eat, you hungry....your bored..... maybe your not hungry and your bored. Its a habit that you have created a pattern . Its okay and you can change this. With breaking any habit it takes time and patience and commitment. What helps me is....... I think about how I feel after I eat it and was it worth it ? Ususally the answer is always no. I dont feel better, I dont feel full.

You gain resepct for your strength one day at a time.
  • tdc7591
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i have the same problem as mgibson9, im in college and i usually work until 8-10 at night so its hard to get a set routine. i appreciate all of the suggestions :) i think my best bet is to get into the mindset, that eating at night is not necessarily going to make me happy, and replace that time with something constructive (like actually doing my homework lol).
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I generally try to eat 5 - 6 smaller meals each day rather than 3 large (traditional) meals. If I eat every 2 - 3 hours while I am awake, my blood sugar stays more level and I don't get so hungry that I can't control myself. I generally leave enough calories to have an orange, an apple, some air popped pop corn, cheerios and milk, or something similarly fiber-y :wink: in the evening. I may also have some tea (decaf or herbal) or some hot cocoa sweetened with stevia or splenda. Sounds to me like you are trying to go too long without eating. If you eat at 5 and then go to bed at 10 or 11, that's 5-6 hours for your blood sugar to crash.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I generally try to eat 5 - 6 smaller meals each day rather than 3 large (traditional) meals. If I eat every 2 - 3 hours while I am awake, my blood sugar stays more level and I don't get so hungry that I can't control myself. I generally leave enough calories to have an orange, an apple, some air popped pop corn, cheerios and milk, or something similarly fiber-y :wink: in the evening. I may also have some tea (decaf or herbal) or some hot cocoa sweetened with stevia or splenda. Sounds to me like you are trying to go too long without eating. If you eat at 5 and then go to bed at 10 or 11, that's 5-6 hours for your blood sugar to crash.

Oh, and protein in the evening, too, like string cheese or a little canned tuna with whole wheat crackers. Just 100-300 calories - whatever is leftover.