Negativity and jealous resposes

Options
Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this.
The first 30 lbs or so, the feedback I got from friends were all really positive but there seems to be a little bit of negativity or jealousy as time goes on. I live awhile away from all my family so facebook is instrumental in keeping in contact (or my mum keeping tabs on me!). My family are really supportive, they and my friends on mfp keep me well motivated.

No one gives me negativity on facebook, probably because they don't want others to see. But I've had little snide comments in texts and calls here and there. Like "you don't want to lose that much do you? because its harder to keep it off", "don't get too excited its easy to put 30 lbs back on" etc.

I had a text from an ex but that just made me smile and laugh, while she commented negatively on me and my fiancée losing weight shes put about 3 stone on since I last saw her.

Sorry for the essay just getting frustrated by it!

Replies

• steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    Those people probably just want to do that because they already know that they cannot put in the effort into themselves that you are already doing for yourself.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It really stinks that your friends can't be more supportive. It sounds to me that they are just trying to project their past failures or their unwillingness to start on this journey themselves onto you and maybe trying to bring you down to their level just a little bit.

I heard a pastor once say that it is much easier to drag people down than it is to lift someone up. he was using this in a spiritual context but I believe it applies to life in general.

keep up the good work. I know it's hard having people close to you be negative but use that to keep going make them even more jealous HAHA.

Take care
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! :flowerforyou:

People can be such jealous monsters. I will never understand why it is so hard to be happy for others when they accomplish something major. Keep doing what you are doing. The ones who made the negative comments were probably in the middle of eating an entire box of Twinkies when they made the comment to you. They will really feel like morons when you reach your goal weight and stay fit for the rest of your life.
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Those people probably just want to do that because they already know that they cannot put in the effort into themselves that you are already doing for yourself.

+1
  • plc765
    plc765 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I hear things all the time at work, esp. with the type of food I'm eating.. "Eww, what's that? It smells funny" While they are shoving McDonalds in their mouth. Jealousy, that is all it is. It used to make me mad, but I realize now they are making those comments to make themselves feel better b/c they do not have the motivation and willpower that we do to stick with it. Someone is always going to try and bring you down....Just stay positive and keep up the good work!
  • Dancinhiphop4life
    Options
    I know exactly how you are feeling. my family is so supportive and my exercise buddy never is negative when i do better than her and im not negative when she does better than me. I do have a friend tho that has always been somewhat jealous when i lose weight. The first time i lost the weight she started losing weight too which is great but she was supportive with mine.....it was more of a competition between the two of us. that was 2 yrs ago. since then i had put weight on and so has she. she lost it again about 4 months ago and now that she is smaller than me she makes comments about what size she wears in a way to say that shes smaller without actually saying it. she was my BF for a longtime but we have grown apart and this has a lot to do with it. When i lost the weight the first time and she started competing with me everytime i was around her she would have somekind of comment about how much more weight she lost that week than i did....now everytime im around her its somekind of remark of how she is smaller than me. It gets old and friends should not make you feel that way. Thats why im so greatful to have my workout buddy that is so supportive and doing this with me instead of against me. Sorry so long but wanted to vent a little with my frustration on this topic.
  • use2becaligirl
    Options
    Do it for yourself and noone else. Keep up the great work!!!
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    I feel your pain. I hear things all the time at work, esp. with the type of food I'm eating.. "Eww, what's that? It smells funny" While they are shoving McDonalds in their mouth. Jealousy, that is all it is. It used to make me mad, but I realize now they are making those comments to make themselves feel better b/c they do not have the motivation and willpower that we do to stick with it. Someone is always going to try and bring you down....Just stay positive and keep up the good work!

oh same! the people where i used to work always did that to me. and the things is it was just things like brown rice with beans a piece of fish and they looked at me like i was eating alien food!
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. Now that I've lost 15lbs and it shows and when I tell people I have more to lose they look at me and tell me that I would be too skinny. Which isn't true because my goal was on the heavy side of my "healthy weight". I've also noticed that some of my family don't even invite me to dinners anymore because they think I can't eat anything at these places and they don't want to bother changing the restaurant.

I've also noticed that I've spark a bit of competition with friends and my Husband. Since I've joined MFP I've seen at least 5 friends join as well, and my Hubs has decided to try P90X.

Don't let these people hold you back or make you feel bad about your successes! You've done a great job, and it's their issue that they can't make the changes like you have!
  • Smokenmirrors
    Smokenmirrors Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Dude, You are an idol to me. Keep up the good work. Alll the good people here who take the time and make the effort are a tremendous inspiration.. Keep going all of you.
  • anwendy
    anwendy Posts: 17
    Options
    I've had the same thing happen to me! I'm 10 pounds down, and in better shape than I've been in for a LONG time. Now when I work out with friends, and they can't keep up with me, they try to make me feel bad by saying things like "Yeah, just keep shaming us, keep going." Or, "We shouldn't let you work out with us anymore." It's so frustrating, because they have no idea how d*mn hard I've worked for those 10 pounds.

Ugh, I feel your pain. Glad we all have this forum so we can support and encourage each other!! :)
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Do it for yourself and noone else. Keep up the great work!!!

^^^^^ that sums it up!
  • 0mega60
    0mega60 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hey young mfp dude .....first thing.....man up and stop looking for support from any exs....your just disrespecting yourself and your present partner in crime.......second ...as much as outside support is great as a bonus...you need to find the strength in yourself mostly......thus anyones negative support or comments will never set you back or derail your goals...good luck
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I get hassled all the time! It's all supposed to be in good fun by my closest friends and family but it does chip away at you! My sister affectionately calls me Lolly, as in Lollipop head and says I look like one of those catwalk models with a head too big for her body... It's great for my self esteem!

The worst thing I find now is people offering me food all the time, stating that now I'm thin I can eat what I want and not believing me when I try to explain how hard maintenance is. I'm trying to ignore it and figure that eventually they'll get bored of it!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yep, I experienced the same thing after the first 30 lbs! As my mother would say: "If you're talked about, you're thought about!" :-)